Best Ozzy-era Sabbath opus

Which Ozzy-era Sabbath owns us all!?

• the glorious debut (NIB, Wizard, Warning, etc)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Paranoid (no introduction necessary!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Master of Reality (is Solitude pure suicide-doom, or what?!?!)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Volume 4 (their most varied work?)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath (another pure classic)

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Sabotage (their heaviest, most progressive?)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Technical Ex (She's Gone and You Wont Change me are pure doom!)

• Never Say Die (title track is so energy-packed and vital!)

• Total voters

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Which of the classic Ozzy-era Sabbath records do you think has stood the test of time the best? Hell, they ALL still rule, but some kick more ass than others.

Hate the 2005 Ozzy all you want, but he owned us in the 70s, along with Geezer, Bill and Tony F*CKING Iommi!

For me, however, Sabotage is their magnum opus. It's got everything that made Sabbath great...heck, that makes METAL great!

"The Writ", "The Thrill of It All"...among my all-time fav tunes.

I had to go with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for its pure greatness. However, I would say Sabotage is a close second, and it was really hard not to choose something rawer like Volume 4. I love all those early records, and even went so far as to buy the "black box," even though they rarely go in these days, having been listened too waaaay too much. Sabbath is the shyte. Pure and simple.

SoundMaster said:
Which of the classic Ozzy-era Sabbath records do you think has stood the test of time the best? Hell, they ALL still rule, but some kick more ass than others.

Hate the 2005 Ozzy all you want, but he owned us in the 70s, along with Geezer, Bill and Tony F*CKING Iommi!

For me, however, Sabotage is their magnum opus. It's got everything that made Sabbath great...heck, that makes METAL great!

"The Writ", "The Thrill of It All"...among my all-time fav tunes.

The Writ has everything that is great about Sabbath in it. Doomy, atmospheric, strangely honest, and just huge. Megalomania is another monster from that release, and there's a great live version of it on the Past Lives thing that came out a year or so back.

And again I couldn't vote for anyone since all have tunes I like but if I have to give a vote will be to "Vol.4" for 'Under The Sun Everyday Comes And Goes' which is for me the perfect archetypical doom song that everyband should emulate.

NP: Shaaman - 'In The Night'

The first one will always be the one for me! I just love the blues influenced
sound on that album and the heaviness helped too.
Vol. 4 comes in a close second Snowblind is probably my favorite
Black Sabbath song along with Supernaut.:headbang:

KMADD said:
The first one will always be the one for me! I just love the blues influenced
sound on that album and the heaviness helped too.
Vol. 4 comes in a close second Snowblind is probably my favorite
Black Sabbath song along with Supernaut.:headbang:

Snowblind is probably my overall favorite also. Just something about it. The riff, the eerie orchestra stuff, just awesome.

Sabotage has always been my fave Sabbath album, followed closely by Bloody Sabbath and Tech Ec. Oddly enough, in my elder years (okay, I'm only 40 but you get the idea) I find myself listening to the first Sabbath more than any other.

I was born without you baby,
But my feelings were a little bit too strong!

NP: Bitch - Be My Slave

i cannot choose because they are all good w/ ozzy. it would be blasphemy to ask me to exclude the other albums by picking one over the rest.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Sabotage has always been my fave Sabbath album, followed closely by Bloody Sabbath
:headbang: I never got bored of these 2.

Hole in the Sky, Megalomania, Symptom, Sabra Cadabra, Spiral Architect... timeless songs!

Wyvern said:
And again I couldn't vote for anyone since all have tunes I like but if I have to give a vote will be to "Vol.4" for 'Under The Sun Everyday Comes And Goes' which is for me the perfect archetypical doom song that everyband should emulate.

I voted for "Volume 4" as well. And I love Under The Sun too. It is so damn heavy! A lot of variety on that album really takes it a long way. But most of their stuff is good so it is hard to say.

SoundMaster said:
Oddly enough, Parnoid is always cited as being the seminal Sabbath record in the press, etc., yet it's not received one vote here! Interesting...

It's probably regarded by the press as seminal either because it's their biggest selling album or the fact that the title track has become their signature tune. However as an album in my opinion the most cohesive would have to be SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH and judging by the results so far I see I'm not alone.