Best Black Sabbath vocalist

Who would you say was the best Black Sabbath vocalist?

• Ozzy Osbourne

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Ronnie James Dio

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Tony Martin

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
J. said:
neither are power metal vocalists.

What the fuck are you talking about? If you're talking about older Power Metal such as Jag Panzer and early Fates Warning and even some Iron Maiden - you need a lobotomy.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
What the fuck are YOU talking about? Iron Maiden aren't power metal.

Not exactly, but they were highly influential on the fact. Seventh Son is pretty much epic Power Metal (NOT of the Euro-flower kind, don't make that mistake. I'm speaking more in context of Diamond Head, old Helloween, EP-era Queensryche, etc.).

J. said:
who cares? Ozzy-era Black Sabbath own them all.

I dislike starting flamewars/bashing, etc....

But are you seriously suggesting that Ozzy Osbourne is a better vocalist that the likes of John Arch, Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin and Hansi Kursch? Just to name a few.

EDIT: Don't take this out of context. Your argument was vocals, and I'm not saying 70's Sabbath was bad. On the contrary, Into The Fucking Void, Symptom Of The Universe and Black Sabbath have always owned me, since I was a little kid. Ozzy's vocals went perfect with the music, yes, but he's a really shitty vocalist.

No flame wars here, man.

The original question was "Who is the best Sabbath vocalist?" I took that to mean, who was the best while actually in Black Sabbath, excluding solo careers, Rainbow, etc. And undoubtedly, the best material was released during Ozzy's era, and no vocalist could have done those 8 albums any better. His voice was perfect for the music. I could name lots of sub-par vocalists, but the musicians around the singer make him that much better. This was the case with Ozzy-era Sabbath.

I dont even consider post-Ozzy Black Sabbath as legit. It was more like Black Sabbath-with-that-dude-from-Rainbow.

As far as vocalists go, Hansi Kursch is more hilarious than anything. How anyone can take that stuff seriously is beyond me. It's so over the top, I can't keep from laughing or cringing. Jag Panzer is the same way.

But yeah, I'll take Sabbath-era Ozzy over those power metal vocalists any day.

Although techniclly speaking Ronnie James Dio was the better vocalist, Ozzy 'John' Osbourne had a stage presence that cannot be denied. What is funny is that he never has done much, but somehow it just has this great dark vibe. Both have some natural born talent, but in different ways.