Best cab to go with Marshall 6100LM advice needed.

WNichols

New Metal Member
Dec 22, 2009
Im considering buying a Marshall 6100LM head and I'm after a bit of advice as to which cab would suit me best to use with the amp.

I play metal and post rock and plan on getting this for primarily for bedroom level playing and recording. Problem is I live in a townhouse so cant crank the volume too much.
Ive read these have a low volume compensation circuit which helps them maintain great tube crunch at reasonable levels. (as well as being switchable between 100,50 and 25w)

Can anyone recommend a cab that would be good with this for recording at bedroom levels?

Cheers!

A few more specifics would be helpful - like type of sound you are after, music you play, perhaps even pickups/guitar used. I'm unsure that at bedroom levels you are really going to get a good representation of what the amp/cabinet are capable of. Even with the power soak, compensation circuit, the tonal differences may be significant. 25w is really loud even at bedroom levels, and I've read elsewhere that to get the tone people were looking for from the 6100LM, they had to up it to it's full potential of 100w. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Marshall Head with a Marshall 1960 cab - but that would be for that all out Marshall tone - it really is a versatile cab for a variety of Marshall tones, they really are a terrific combination, but only if you love the Marshall sound (which I do.)

That said - I think some more information would be helpful aside from Metal/Post-Rock. Bands you like, other equipment.

Thanks for the reply Jind. Yeah I love the marshall sound but Im open to trying different cabs.

Bands I dig and the sound Im after ranges from classic old school thrash Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura (arise era) to other semi-heavy stuff like Faith no More and Tool. Also a bit of 90's death metal ala Death, Morbid Angel, Carcass on occasion. Not big into any newer metal bands from 00 - onwards.

By post-rock I love the sound of bands like Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Interpol. Im not a big 'solo's player.

Guitar Im playing is a Jackson slsmg soloist with dimarzio d'sonic and seymour duncan jazz. Thinking of swapping out the d'sonic for a straight EMG81 though.

I just read that that 6100 has a speaker emulation output. Wondering if the quality on that is any good vs mic'd as it would be perfect for home recording!

Any other advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!