Best Carcass album?

reidie said:
Swansong is my fav. Riff after riff after riff. If thats selling out, thats selling out in style. Tomorrow belongs to nobody :headbang:

Yeah...I sampled that last night...I liked it...it's just different than their previous stuff...I never understand why diehard fans feel betrayed when a band or artist need to change and grow. A fan should support the creative nature of music as well and grow with the band. Expand your minds and ears.

Ah...who am I kidding...ha!

Anyone into In Flames, At the Gates or Dark Tranquility?

MyHatred said:
Mine too!! They need to include a toothpick with that album to get all the crunchy riffs out of your teeth after listening to it. Some of the best riffs ever written on that album.

Schenk - In order:

a) Reek of Putrefaction - is pure grindcore/death mangling, all in a horrid production soup. Easily the hardest to listen to, and despite what many of the tr00 kiddies will tel you, not their finest hour.

b) Symphony of Sickness - Is where it all starts to come together. This is a killer album. It's gory (albeit very thrash riff derived) death metal, with some moments of sublime catchiness. It might be too heavy for you if you haven't heard the next two albums of theirs first though.

c) Necroticism.... - The BEST album ever recorded, by anyone, ever. This manages to be the best death metal album ever, but with catchy enough riffs and punchy song arrangements that pretty much anyone can listen to it. It has the perfect combination of song writing and musical ability (and also saw the introduction of Mike "Carnage" Amott to the fold). The begining of melodi-death

d) Heartwork - The introduction of mainstream thrash elements back into metal. Without Heartwork, the entire field of melodic death metal would have never really evolved.

e) Swansong - Much, much maligned mainstream metal album. Probably ahead of its time by a year or two in regards to being a "death n' roll" album (anyone remember that genre?)> Semi-Megadeth like (but better than their corresponding works).

DONT FORGET THE FOLLOWING:

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE CARCASS - CD is a rarities and B-sides - and utterly essential for some killer live versions. The DVD has a different track listing and has the 5 promo videos and 3 entire live gigs, each of which are great.

CHOICE CUTS - "Best of" featuring hard to get Peel sessions. Not essential, but nice.

*** MOST OF ALLL *** if you like Swansong, get hold of Blackstar (Blackstar Rising in the US), which featured all of Swansong era Carcass minus Bill Steer in about 1996. One off album (Barbed Wire Soul) that took the Swansong sound, made it catchier and added (I kid you not) Saxophone and brass sections. This is one of my all time of all time fave albums - buy it, you won't regret it.

WHERE TO GET THEM FROM:

most of all, try www.earache.com

THey do Earache mp3 sales quite cheap (though I of course, abhor mp3s), but even better, they do the original CDs VERY cheaply. Or www.amazon.com used and new....

Hope that helps,

Carc.

I was hoping you would put your Carcass two cents in this thread, Carcassian:headbang: I have to agree with pretty much everything he stated. I do, however, have to disagree with Blackstar. I am not sure what it is about that album but it never grabbed me as being that good. I haven't listened to the album in years though, and might have to get a six pack tonight and give it the headphone challenge.

schenkadere said:
Yeah...I sampled that last night...I liked it...it's just different than their previous stuff...I never understand why diehard fans feel betrayed when a band or artist need to change and grow. A fan should support the creative nature of music as well and grow with the band. Expand your minds and ears.

Ah...who am I kidding...ha!

Anyone into In Flames, At the Gates or Dark Tranquility?

Heartwork. Yeah, I kind of like all these 3 bands, In Flames the most.

At The Gates were great. The Björler twins were full of ideas even back then. On a sidenote, Jonas Björler and his gf asked if they could take pictures of me and my Haunted-shirt in Gothenburg. The performer asking a fan to pose on a picture, now that is something that hasn´t happened to me before.

I like the Barbed Wire Soul album.