Best DAW

There is absolutely no reason to not at least TRY Reaper. I see so many people ask about DAW shit and they don't even give it a shot, which is a shame. Hell you can use it for free and even buy it for fucking $40. it's amazing.

All down to preference. I'm sure its been mentioned but download the demos of a few different DAWs, see which one you like best and work easiest with and take it from there. Watch youtube tutorials and groove3 is also really good for tutorials! My DAW of choice is Logic 9, fucking love it, wouldnt change to another. However, for a cheap, awesome starting point get on REAPER :D I use it for drum editing

i'm really starting to like reaper, with that router matrix etc. seems all very logical to me. Setting up a project and assigning all the the inputs, making headphone mixes etc, is very easy.
Just got the groove3 tutorial and can really recommend that.

fuck you all, i use notepad to write the samples in binary myself, which i deduce from hearing each instrument played, only once.

then if i want to apply a vst plugin, i look at the raw machine code of the plugin, then do it on each sample, by hand.

you get used to it!

when i can't be bothered with that, cubase comes a close second ;) but each to their own. there is no right daw, as others have said. use what suits you best.

thanks,

Dont you know all those bells and whistles just get in the way?

If you want to be a real pro then all you need is Windows Sound Recorder.

Sadly, this is how I first, first, first started. Shame on me. I had no idea about anything having to do with recording except some EQ and panning. hah!!

But, Windows Sound Recorder only lets you record 30 or 60 seconds of audio....so I'd have to record silence for the full length allotted, then splice a bunch of those together to create a longer audio track to record over. Holy shit that was rough!! HAHAHAHA!!! Slowly went to Audacity and Cool Edit Pro and finally Reaper where I've found my home.