Best Decade in Rock Music

Best rock era

• Total voters

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
With another decade closing, what was the best decade since the beginnings of rock and roll in the 50s?

Personally, it's between the 60s and 80s. The 60s just had so many innovators and classics: The Doors, Frank Zappa, Van Morrison, Captain Beefheart, Bob Dylan, Neil Young. On the other hand the 80s was, for me, the beginning of metal, all my beloved bands began here and it's probably the era of music I listen to the most. Aside from metal there was also REM and Nick Cave, two of my favorites.

What's your favorite era?

I can't choose. 90's is probably my favorite, but the 60's were probably the most important as far as innovation and influence.

I can't choose. 90's is probably my favorite, but the 60's were probably the most important as far as innovation and influence.

Come on, don't be a pussy. Just pick one.

For me the 90s were the best decade for metal. If we're just talking about rock music in the limited sense, I'd say the 70s.

We're talking all of rock music, including metal.

Oh dear my testosterone levels are being questioned. I'll pick the nineties to prevent any further doubt of my extreme manliness.
:lol: If i could choose a cross section I would say from 1965 to 1975 was the best years for rock music of all kinds:

Metal - Sabbath was born
Punk - Ramones, Iggy, NY dolls etc.
Classic - Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Doors, Zep, Clapton, Skynyrd etc.

But I like all decades except the 90's and 2000's... for rock in general i mean though I liked the Grunge movement in the early 90's

Yea I put 70s but the guys suggesting a mix of late 60s and early 70s are right on. Get all your Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath albums etc. covered without leaving out the genius of The Beatles or Hendrix

60s has mad river, the velvet underground, the doors, iron butterfly, hendrix, cream, love, the byrds, high tide, blue cheer. no competing with that, for me.