Best Decade in Rock Music

Best rock era

• Total voters
:lol: good lord... and toward the end of the posts you totally blew any credentials you could have possibly faked your way into.
Only one faking credentials granpa would be you. For example saying you know about Punk but then don't tell us what you do know.. :Smug:

I find it interesting you talking about the first Sabbath album being metal when many a qualified metal head has stated that they were not truely metal until much later.
Qualified metalhead? What's that? lol is there a state exam for that? . Besides you are barely a metalhead if you are one at all. And correct me if I am wrong but didnt Paranoid album come out the same year as the S/T? are you going to tell me that album isn't metal also? Btw how much longer then? As for the S/T, it consisted originally of 7 songs with 2 of them being cover songs (Evil Woman and Warning)... but anyways if you do not consider that album and much less so Paranoid as metal albums.. all i can say is WOW o_O

Twist it and bail any way you want but you were the one made a big drama because I said Sabbath was not solely responsible.
Ah so no one can comment or question you when you make a statment? We just have to take your BS as law?:lol:
I never said a word about who was "the first" metal band... cause there wasnt one. Metal was not finely defined until the 80's... Junior...and by that time it was chalk full of various influences many of which had nothing to do with dark and loagie music.
There is always a first in any music genre Grandpa... And it was metal from the beginning not later on or else it wouldn't have been named so to begin with when Sabbath and the others first started... And Metal wasn't "defined" in the 80's, it simply evolved like all genre's do...

What successful metal bands mentions these bands as influences ?

Led Zeppelin, Rush, Queen, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, The Who, AC/DC, UFO

Only one faking credentials granpa would be you. For example saying you know about Punk but then don't tell us what you do know.. :Smug:

I had the Punk arguement before, I dont like the stuff, I need more from music. Thats all I need to know. Whats your problem with that and what makes you think I have any interest in re-argueing it a year later ? :rolleyes:

Qualified metalhead? What's that? lol is there a state exam for that? . Besides you are barely a metalhead if you are one at all. And correct me if I am wrong but didnt Paranoid album come out the same year as the S/T? are you going to tell me that album isn't metal also? Btw how much longer then? As for the S/T, it consisted originally of 7 songs with 2 of them being cover songs (Evil Woman and Warning)... but anyways if you do not consider that album and much less so Paranoid as metal albums.. all i can say is WOW o_O

A qualified metal head is someone that been into it a long time, understands and respects the history, plays a instrument, understands all the many aspects that apply to metal and can make sense without some kind of alternative drama such as yourself. Now I thought you were big on opinions and undertood all that business about respecting other peoples opinion ? Some people are of the opinion that Sabbath was not full on metal until much later. I said nothing about my feelings on the matter, that came out of your drama issues.

Ah so no one can comment or question you when you make a statment? We just have to take your BS as law?:lol:

Where did I say or imply any such thing? I only tuned up the history, without any bias and your still crying about it, grow up.

There is always a first in any music genre Grandpa... And it was metal from the beginning not later on or else it wouldn't have been named so to begin with when Sabbath and the others first started... And Metal wasn't "defined" in the 80's, it simply evolved like all genre's do...

There was no "first" there was many bands involved and they were all right there in the same cruicial 3 year period of time 69-71.
Metal was very much defined in the 80's. It was the metal age.

:lol:

1. Like I said you keep avoiding the punk issue... all I need to know that you know nothing about it.

2. LoL about your definition of a "qualified" metalhead... This is what I think about your new word:

Harry Stamper: And this is the best that you c - that the-the government, the *U.S. government* can come up with? I mean, you-you're NASA for cryin' out loud, you put a man on the moon, you're geniuses! You-you're the guys that think this shit up!

3. As for entitlement to opinions, yes you are entitled to your opinion just not your own facts. And I am also entitled to criticize your opinion.

4."Some people"? Who are these some people you keep referring to because until you mentioned it I have never EVER heard anyone say that Sabbath wasn't metal til later. You making shit up again? lol

5. Tuned up the history without any bias? yah right LoL

6. There is always a first Grandpa whether you like to admit it or not like when you FIRST jerked off that little pinky between your legs and when you FIRST lost your virginity.

7. Defined, nope. Metal Age, perhaps but that is personal opinion. Evolution of a genre, yes it was.

1. Like I said you keep avoiding the punk issue... all I need to know that you know nothing about it.

How am I avoiding the punk issue ? How is it I know nothing about it ? Because I dont like it and never looked back ? What am I supposed to become a expert on a form of music I found retarded ? Since when ?

2. LoL about your definition of a "qualified" metalhead... This is what I think about your new word:

Harry Stamper: And this is the best that you c - that the-the government, the *U.S. government* can come up with? I mean, you-you're NASA for cryin' out loud, you put a man on the moon, you're geniuses! You-you're the guys that think this shit up!

I didnt make up any new word, are you upset because I implied you are not qualified ? Which you clearly are not due to your continous drama fused denial of the revelevance of other bands. Which again... the entire big deal you have made here has been because I said Sabbath was not alone.

3. As for entitlement to opinions, yes you are entitled to your opinion just not your own facts. And I am also entitled to criticize your opinion.

And that has been all this has been about, the sole purpose of critizing what I said... which has nothing to do with opinion and everything to do with the facts of the history at that time. You even adjusted your stance since but still continue with the drama just like a little teenage bitch. You just turned what I said about respecting other peoples opinions on when Sabbath was actually metal and pointed toward me again, yet that was not the subject. Why do you have such a hard time staying focused ?

4."Some people"? Who are these some people you keep referring to because until you mentioned it I have never EVER heard anyone say that Sabbath wasn't metal til later. You making shit up again? lol

I have been involved in discusions on this subject many times and people have said that. They have said they dont consider any of the early 70's music true metal. Some people just have that opinion, deal with it. Its got nothing to do with me, stay focused on something other than your personally driven infatuation.

5. Tuned up the history without any bias? yah right LoL

Show me the bias

6. There is always a first Grandpa whether you like to admit it or not like when you FIRST jerked off that little pinky between your legs and when you FIRST lost your virginity.

How could there be a first when all those bands were involved in the same scene in that time period ? Again not focused on anything other than personal critism, distraction and side stepping.

7. Defined, nope. Metal Age, perhaps but that is personal opinion. Evolution of a genre, yes it was.

So are you saying the 80's was not the age of metal ? Further that it was not clearly defined by the 80's ? Your now onto evolution of a genre but earlier... for example... denied Rushs and many others impact on this evolution. You just dont make enough rational sense and are having hissy fits based on your opinions

:zombie:

The point is now that you side steped the question just like a little drama bitch. This is a list of bands you just earlier said had minimal to no influence on metal.
Nope, don't really recall saying they didn't have influence on metal... just that they weren't metal or the first complete metal band...

1. Funny thing, I ask a question you sidestep it then you accuse of it. I asked you a question about punk and that is exactly what you do. You ask me questions and i answer whether right or wrong, fact or opinion. I am curious about your knowledge of a genre you hate since you seem to be a expert on all genre's.What are you afraid about the question?

2. Call me crazy but i never heard "qualified metalhead" being an official word in metaldom til you mention it here on this board. So forgive me if I say you make up new words not really used by others. When did i deny the relevance of other band's influence on metal's early years? I only denied they were metal and/or a true complete metal band. Stop twisting it around.

3. Never adjusted my stance and needless to say your not a "qualified historian". :) that only drama here is your name calling from the beginning with "junior" "teenage drama bitch" etc. If i did the same it's reactionary. Please when you describe someone with names and such at least admit it is you whose doing the drama first, grandpa. :) You gave an opinion about Sabbath and i criticized it with my opinion. I'm very focused. :)

4. Plenty to do with you since you brought it up. And oddly enough in all the time i have been a member of this site I have never once seen someone form that opinion (keyword opinion)about metal not being metal in the 70's. And if your imaginary people have said that it's a very minor opinion.

5. Plenty of bias, go back and read it word for word. Especially bias towards me. :)

6. First, yes. They were not part of the "scene" except the one created by the media. They weren't metal nor part of the scene then or now but did have some influence on it. Deal with it.

7. The 80's were the age of sub genre's emerging which is all part of evolution in music. They took what the 70's did and made newer sounds, the 90's did the same with 80's and so forth. Sabbath came in the early 70's and then the late 70's to early 80's came NWOBHM and so forth. In the 80's they also used the term "classic metal" which if you stick to your guns you would say you hate that term like you hate "classic rock" being used. :) the only hissy fits come from you when your name calling and saying im picking on you and the Mod's don't do anything. You hissy sissy. :lol:

Btw here's some food for thought about Sabbath and the Paranoid album:

" Allmusic's Steve Huey, who cites Paranoid as "one of the greatest and most influential heavy metal albums of all time", which "defined the sound and style of metal, more than any other record in history"[5] and Ben Mitchell of Blender calling it "the greatest metal album of all time".

I would think they are more "qualified" then you... :)

Nope, don't really recall saying they didn't have influence on metal... just that they weren't metal or the first complete metal band...

Originally Posted by razoredge
The point is now that you side steped the question just like a little drama bitch. This is a list of bands you just earlier said had minimal to no influence on metal.

They were influential but barely imo
others you mention are completely not...

I would also like to know who these others "I mentioned" were

Rush and the other bands were more then just metal...

While this is true and I certainly more than covered that before and since you started this drama... metal is much more than just Sabbath.

But not according to you...read below
All other bands after them only took what Sabbath did and progressed/evolved it more.

Alrighty then, so you should answer this question
Originally Posted by razoredge
What successful metal bands mentions these bands as influences ?

Led Zeppelin, Rush, Queen, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, The Who, AC/DC, UFO

All bands in metal or other genre's have a variety of influences from all sorts of different genre's in rock or elsewhere.Some bands had more influences then others but for the most part minimal compared to a metal band influencing other metal bands. Sabbath were THE most influential metal band of all time.

I hope you are not suggesting that such bands as Genesis, Who, Yes, PF etc. have important metal elements...

In your opinion Metal is more then just Sabbath, and really there is more Sabbath in Metal then anything else.

Its not an opinion its a fact, there is alot more to metal than the Black Sabbath vib. If all metal was kinda slow, gloomy and doomy sounding that would be another thing, but its not.

Yes I would say the early progressive bands had a strong impact on many musical passages found later in metal.

Same as I would say Uriah Heeps pedaling riffs did. Uriah Heep also did early examples of harmonized melodic guitar themes, often easiler accredited to Wishbone Ash or Thin Lizzy because its not what stood out the most about Heep but they had some, via studio overdubing.

The impact of the entire vib of LZ II in undeniable, whether many of the riffs... not all... were blues scale based or not. It was the agressive presentation. Immigrant Song forget about it, metal groove and lyrical content through and through. Immigrant Song musically was a upgrade of the same vib found on Whole Lotta Love, less the simplistic blues based lyrics and effects layden sex scene... which was pure genious in its day.

I was the one that turned everyone... sorry... those interested... on to Black Sabbath in our school, also Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep and Rush, as well as Fusion. Im not the one in denial here. I had a tape I recorded off a college radio station of BS self titled I ran right out and played for everyone who cared long before "Ironman"... pathetic piece of work it was hit the radio.

I say 80s. The ground work might have been laid '65 - '75 but it was perfected in the 80s when most bands that started out in the 60s and 70s delivered their best work. 90s simply sucked and 00's were yawn.

I went with the 70s. Uriah Heep, Rainbow, Floyd, Tull, Genesis, Zeppelin, Neil Young released some decent stuff and a bunch of other dadrock.

The 80s were good for indie, hardcore, and more underground rock.

The 90s weren't bad, but are kinda weak, right behind the 00s. The 60s were pretty good, with Hendrix, The Beatles, CSNY, The Doors, CCR, and all that kind of stuff. Also, 60s garage rock is pretty awesome.

I tell ya one thing Mick Taylor was very talented... I always thought Keith was a bit overrated compared to other guitarists in the Stones... especially compared to Brian and Mick Taylor.. :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVW94UWgBg&feature=related[/ame]