Best frontmen in rock/metal

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Ok we always discuss the drummers, guitarists ... never the bassists or keyboardists mind you.

So time to give the frontmen some metal love.

Name your favourites or whom you consider the best and why?

I got 3 that spring to mind in no order

Bruce Dickinson - for a man in his 50s, his tireless energy, delivery and stage presence left me enthralled and exhausted. Incredible performer. Best I've ever seen live by some distance too. That voice is still amazing. His madman, non stop running and jumping puts guys half his age to shame.

David Lee Roth - aside from being a great performer with amazing presence and charisma, Dave is the epitome of classic sex, drugs and rock n roll - and pure fun cock rock. Van Halen with DLR were so much fun. I enjoy Hagar era VH but it's a different band altogether for me. DLR is just pure reckless, carefree fun personified.

Freddie Mercury - Amazing voice, amazing performer. I wish he was still around. Queen wrote some brilliant stuff and Freddie took it to another level with his delivery.

Mike Patton - Brilliant. Ingenius. Unpredictable.

Interested to hear others thoughts.

phil anselmo because not only is he a bad ass singer but he commands the stage and influenced alot of the younger singers that are coming thru now,its just a pity they try and just copy him.

corey taylor is also phenominal,great voice and also knows hows to work a crowd,id take stone sour over slipknot any day of the week now,i was truly won over after seeing stone sour live.

david coverdale,saw whitesnake for the first time couple years back and he blew me away,great band live with a perfect frontman.

john bush and joey are both solid performers but thats about it,nothing outstanding like the 3 i mentioned,great thread alias:kickass:

Matt Barlow - Iced Earth (He has the power and range that's lacking in many bands today)
Roy Khan - Kamelot (Same reasons as Barlow)
Mike Patton - Any Damn Band He Pleases (no reason needed for his awesomeness)
Veronica Freeman - Benedictum (If Dio were to be reincarnated as a woman, he'd model himself after this lady)
Serj Tankian - S.O.A.D. (because he's so off the wall)
Doro Pesch - Warlock/Doro (There is no slowing this lady down and she has stayed true to what she's done for decades)

Yeah Bruce is a god, congrats to Iron Maiden on the grammy! Yeah the guy from SOAD is very off the wall and unpredictable, I like that. Makes me want to hear more. I just don't like the one-sided political statements, leading to again arguing which I don't like. He reminds me of the guy from Disturbed, very unique and innovative even if you don't like their style. Saw Disturbed live once and he is very intelligent with his in-between song banter and he encourages fans to be enpowered and to become better people, I liked that about him. Very intelligent man. Halford fan forever for obvious reasons the guy has the best pipes alive even at his age. Seen Mr. John Bush 7 times (6 with Anthrax) and the man has never let me down, vocally and lyrically. What a gifted musician. My favs

My Top 10. Order could be changed up but fuck it here it is off the top of my head:

1. Phil Anselmo - Best all around frontman in history of metal imo. Nobody has ever commanded complete control of a crowd like he did and still does. He comes out on stage and you just feel his presence instantly. I am not saying he has the best voice of all time but I have never seen anyone control an audience like him and never seen so many people try to rip a guy off like him.. Don Nelson anyone?

2. Max Cavalera - Don't really have to explain he just dominates everyone that has ever tried to sing his style of music.

3. Bruce Dickinson - No need to say anymore. The guy is in his mid 50's and still runs around like an 18 year old kid on stage. Truly amazing both in how he handles the crowd and his voice is simply stunning.

4. Chris Barnes - The innovator of Guttural death metal. Every single death metal band that came out after him tried their best to get as deep and sick as him. He was what every death metal vocalist wanted to sound like at the time.

5. Ozzy Osbourne - i am not personally a huge fan of Ozzy. Always thought his music, especially solo era stuff was a tad over rated. But he is certainly one of the best frontmen in the history of metal

6. Chuck Billy - Probably my favorite Thrash metal vocalist. I think he is very underrated. He has a great singing voice and a great deep roar.

7. Ronnie James Dio - Godly voice, great guy, a legend

8. Chino Moreno - Maybe not 'metal' but he is very unique and an innovator. Just about every band that came out in the late 90's has wanted him to sing on their records. I personally love the Deftones.

9. Tom Araya - Guy just stands there, head bangs a bit. He rarely talks but when he does people listen. He is a mellow dude but just has some eerie vibe to him that is awesome

10. John Tardy - Have never heard anything as scary as his vocals on Cause of Death. One of my favorite death metal vocalists of all time.

My Top 10. Order could be changed up but fuck it here it is off the top of my head:

1. Phil Anselmo - Best all around frontman in history of metal imo. Nobody has ever commanded complete control of a crowd like he did and still does. He comes out on stage and you just feel his presence instantly. I am not saying he has the best voice of all time but I have never seen anyone control an audience like him and never seen so many people try to rip a guy off like him.. Don Nelson anyone?

2. Max Cavalera - Don't really have to explain he just dominates everyone that has ever tried to sing his style of music.

3. Bruce Dickinson - No need to say anymore. The guy is in his mid 50's and still runs around like an 18 year old kid on stage. Truly amazing both in how he handles the crowd and his voice is simply stunning.

4. Chris Barnes - The innovator of Guttural death metal. Every single death metal band that came out after him tried their best to get as deep and sick as him. He was what every death metal vocalist wanted to sound like at the time.

5. Ozzy Osbourne - i am not personally a huge fan of Ozzy. Always thought his music, especially solo era stuff was a tad over rated. But he is certainly one of the best frontmen in the history of metal

6. Chuck Billy - Probably my favorite Thrash metal vocalist. I think he is very underrated. He has a great singing voice and a great deep roar.

7. Ronnie James Dio - Godly voice, great guy, a legend

8. Chino Moreno - Maybe not 'metal' but he is very unique and an innovator. Just about every band that came out in the late 90's has wanted him to sing on their records. I personally love the Deftones.

9. Tom Araya - Guy just stands there, head bangs a bit. He rarely talks but when he does people listen. He is a mellow dude but just has some eerie vibe to him that is awesome

10. John Tardy - Have never heard anything as scary as his vocals on Cause of Death. One of my favorite death metal vocalists of all time.

Great post!

Number 7 cuts me up. I never got to see Ronnie perform live.

RIP Ronnie :headbang:

My current most favourite frontman, judging from the live shows is Corey Taylor. Irony is that I can't stand Slipknot.

Not saying he's the absolute best, but James Hetfield is still up in the top bracket for me. Circa AJFA he was untouchable.

Have to agree Timmy. He is quite an engaging frontman. Very chatty and always seems to have the crowd in the palm of his hand.

Here's some:

Axl Rose will always be The Rock Frontman for me. He's dangerous and unpredictable and that's what makes him unique. No matter what, he's number one in my book.

Philip Anselmo is to metal what Axl is to hard rock. No matter how wasted or high he is, he always delivers.

Alice Cooper - I don't think he's ever had a bad show. Ever.

Devin Townsend - The mad scientist of metal. He is witty and funny at the same time on stage, not to mention his awesome vocals and guitar playing.

Mike Muir is awesome. He's in constant motion on stage, even between songs. The guy just never stops.

Mike Ness - Not the best singer or guitar player, but when he speaks, you listen.

Greg Graffin - Very laid back but yet so intensive, he will make you feel like you're his best friend watching the show.

Marilyn Manson - Well ok, he's aged really bad, but when he's at the top of his game, he IS the Antichrist Superstar. When he goes on a rant on stage, you can always expect something very intelligent. The worst thing that happened to Manson is that people accepted him.

Steven Tyler and Sammy Hagar are awesome for being in their 60's and still performing like a 30-year old. There's not many who can do that.

Here's some:

Alx Rose will always be The Rock Frontman for me. He's dangerous and unpredictable and that's what makes him unique. No matter what, he's number one in my book.

Philip Anselmo is to metal what Axl is to hard rock. No matter how wasted or high he is, he always delivers.

Good picks in that lot. My old guitar teacher said no one puts on a stage show like Alice Cooper. Also Steve Tyler has got such a great range in his voice.

I wish I saw Axl when Appetite was released. Saw them live a few years ago and he was off stage after every song... pissed me off.