Best metal album of the year so far...

kirkland

Jan 30, 2011
Soulfly - Enslaved.

Fucking stunning. Max is back. For any of those that think Max has gone Nu Metal or lost his voice, etc etc this album is a big middle finger to all of those people.

This is a very heavy, complex, brilliant metal album which is hard to do in 2012.

Definitely the heaviest album Max has done since Beneath The Remains

It's not only just heavy it is flat out good, well written, great musicianship etc.

I have had it on auto repeat for the past 10 hours and counting.

If you are an old Sepultura fan you are going to really enjoy this one.

The last album Omen was boring to me. This one is mind blowing. They have a new bass player and drummer and it brought new life to this band

8.5/10

Can't give it 10/10 because Beneath the Remains is 10/10 Arise is 9.5/10 Chaos AD is 9/10. But it's right there. Roots was 5/10

2:48 makes me want to go out and kill people

0:56 that classical guitar mixed with the heavy guitar is fuckin amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this post was made a little too soon considering we have new Testament, Overkill, Kreator, and Fear Factory albums just around the corner. I don't see the new Soulfly being better than ANY of these but we will see. However, I do look forward to hearing Enslaved all the way through to see how it compares to that last CC album.

I think this post was made a little too soon considering we have new Testament, Overkill, Kreator, and Fear Factory albums just around the corner. I don't see the new Soulfly being better than ANY of these but we will see. However, I do look forward to hearing Enslaved all the way through to see how it compares to that last CC album.

Well for one I said so far. It's 10 times better than the last Cavalera Conspiracy album. It's hard to compare Soulfly (Sepultura), to Overkill which is a totally different band. Fear Factory we'll see and I can't wait for Testament. All different types of metal and I look forward to all of them.

But as a long time Max fan since the Beneath The Remains days I can say Enslaved is the best he's done since that era.

You need to listen to it a few times through in a good stereo system to really get it. Give it some time other than just skimming through it on your laptop.

I can't wait to see this shit performed live it's intense!

Biohazard - Reborn in Defiance

Yet to get the latest offerings from Soulfly, Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse though

I have been a fan of Biohazard since their first S/T album. I wore that tape out back in the day. Then they came out with Urban Discipline and got a lot of exposure etc. Those albums were classics. I didn't like State of the World Address much but loved Mata Leo.

I am not too big on Reborn Defiance. It's not bad but just doesn't relate to me like the earlier Biohazard albums.

I have the new Napalm Death it is really good. The new Cannibal Corpse is pretty good. It sounds almost identical to the past 3 studio albums. Nothing new or innovative but good if you like the fisher era Cannibal Corpse style.

I like this Soulfly album more than those releases though as it's got a new sound and energy to it that will surely rejuvenate this band and gain the respect from some of those stubborn old Sepultura fans that never gave Soulfly a chance.

I think this post was made a little too soon considering we have new Testament, Overkill, Kreator, and Fear Factory albums just around the corner...

and Gojira

and Meshuggah

and Cancer Bats

Last edited by a moderator:
Soulfly is playing near me on the 24th..

I am going to go out to the San Diego show on the 22nd. I love downtown San Diego one of my favorite places in the world. The new Soulfly is stunning. I have not stopped listening to it since I got it. I can't wait to see these new songs live. It's almost like a new Sepultura album circa 1990. This is something that could have easily came out after Beneath The Remains. This will certainly be one of the top metal releases of the year no question.

Yep have to agree......listened to new Soulfly twice so far all way through and it's great. The other new record so far this year that I love is LoG's Resolution.

Great to hear about the new Soulfly. I am with Kirkland on the verdict on Omen (was way too boring). Looking forward to hearing the new album.

I became a fan of Soulfly when they went Thrashy with the 3rd album I think it was. The last record was Kornish, now after all the criticism Max got from that last record he has returned to the brutal thrashy elements. Good to hear that, and I'll have to pick this up.... It helps that they have a technical death metal drummer now.

No way does ROOTS deserve a 5! It's a Sepultura album no doubt.

I became a fan of Soulfly when they went Thrashy with the 3rd album I think it was. The last record was Kornish, now after all the criticism Max got from that last record he has returned to the brutal thrashy elements. Good to hear that, and I'll have to pick this up.... It helps that they have a technical death metal drummer now.

No way does ROOTS deserve a 5! It's a Sepultura album no doubt.

There was NOTHING Korn-ish on the last album Omen. It was heavy as fuck just seemed a bit uninspired and boring.

I don't like Roots, that was the KORN-ish album you must be speaking of.

Personally I think Dark Ages is Soulfly's best album. Whilst the previous albums all had great songs I found them very hit and miss. But I found Dark Ages to be the most consistent and solid.

I am going to go out to the San Diego show on the 22nd. I love downtown San Diego one of my favorite places in the world. The new Soulfly is stunning. I have not stopped listening to it since I got it. I can't wait to see these new songs live. It's almost like a new Sepultura album circa 1990. This is something that could have easily came out after Beneath The Remains. This will certainly be one of the top metal releases of the year no question.

Did you go to the show still? I just got back from seein Windowpane/Soulfly/Five Finger Death Punch! :Shedevil:

Did you go to the show still? I just got back from seein Windowpane/Soulfly/Five Finger Death Punch! :Shedevil:

Nope I didn't make it. I got sick as fuck and was literally in bed for a solid week. I was so bummed out! I will definitely be going when they tour again as they are supposed to do an all Cavalera tour with his sons bands opening up.

How were they in Pamona? By the looks of those videos you posted they were awesome. Sepultura is back! :headbang: