Best Di Box for the buck

Oh fuck LOL, I just did it with the Bugera for like an hour or two. Came up with a killer meaty tone, and the amp seems okay. Weird...

I have a way around it though, I can just hook up the dummy load to the parallel output of the Countryman and it should be dandy. Provided the amp wants to fire up again, haha.

Hey man, thinking about this further... there is NO chance a tube amp could've survived over an hour being on with no load. I had the master at about '3' for the entire time. The output tranny should've carked it after a few minutes. Where in the manual did you read this? I can't even find a manual, only a small data sheet, and all it does is show some diagrams and answer some frequently asked questions. Nowhere do they seem to stress the importance of needing to hook up a load in parallel.

Either that or the Bugera has better craftsmanship than everyone gives it credit :lol:

Yeah I meant to ask... have any of you tried to swing your amp's speaker out into the Countryman? I'd love to try it but I'm afraid of busting the input section on the Millennia.

Hmm I was going to get the Countryman specifically for this reason but the Sweetwater salesman insisted that I could do the same with a Radial JDI. Is he right?
It does have a speaker switch and a 15dB pad...

Hey man, thinking about this further... there is NO chance a tube amp could've survived over an hour being on with no load. I had the master at about '3' for the entire time. The output tranny should've carked it after a few minutes. Where in the manual did you read this? I can't even find a manual, only a small data sheet, and all it does is show some diagrams and answer some frequently asked questions. Nowhere do they seem to stress the importance of needing to hook up a load in parallel.

Either that or the Bugera has better craftsmanship than everyone gives it credit :lol:

Can you take a gut shot of the internals of the countryman for me? There would need to be a pretty big resistor in there(which I still think would get the DI way to hot at that small size) or a false voice coil to act as the load. If you loak at any power soak units (PowerBrake, HotPlate, Weber, etc) they are big and bulky, some have cooling fins to dissipate heat, yadda yadda...

Try setting it up again (with no load) and see how hot your DI and more importantly your output transformer on the amp get....

BTW I left my old XXX on for over 7 hours with no load and on run. How it survived is beyond me.

Yeah what struck me as odd was that the Countryman did not get hot at all. Once again, I have no idea how the Bugera survived, but I think they have more guts than people give them credit for. What I'll do is get another speaker lead and simply set up my Weber dummy load through the parallel amp out on the Countryman! Problem solved!

That extra power amp saturation really helps when dealing with those lifeless impulses. Gets a little bit more extra squeeze and life in there.

Oh fuck!! I´ve just lost a bidding for a Radial Pro 48 for 70 bucks.....
I´m searching for 2 di boxes for 100$ each....I cannot pay more. I just need something transparent and reliable to work with.
For this budget, BSS ar133 is an option, or a Radial Pro...not JD´s

Why do you need two? If you are just recording guitar DI's, take turns (edit: ah, I re-read the first post). I once did a comparison with several DI-boxes and the JD48 was pretty much the winner in the shootout

http://forum.tainted-studio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16

Hmm I was going to get the Countryman specifically for this reason but the Sweetwater salesman insisted that I could do the same with a Radial JDI. Is he right?
It does have a speaker switch and a 15dB pad...

You can run the speaker output from your amp into the JDI, but you still need to run the output on the JDI back to your cabinet. It works just like the Type 85.