Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Hellhammer (Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem)

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Joey Jordison (Slipknot, Korn)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Axe (opeth)

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
From the list I prefer HH (more for his Arcturus and Winds drumming than DB and Mayhem work), but there are so many excellent drummers out there and the guys from the poll are far from being the best of the best.

I would included some of these guys:

Asgeir Mickelson (Spiral Architect, ex-Borknagar, ex-Vintersorg)
Sean Reinert
George Kollias
Flo Mournier
Gene Hoglan
Richard Christy
Virgil Donati
Derek Roddy
Bobby Jarzombek
Tomas Haake
Hans Nilsson (Luciferion)

BTW, the DT drummer is Mike Portnoy.

From the voting list, Mike Portnoy is the best. He's awesome. But you could have added more drummers there...

Other drummers that i really like: Brent Smedley (Iced Earth), George Kollias (Nile), Gene Hoglan (SYL)

:lol: @ Options

...But at least you got Portnoy right. Him and Hoglan are probably my favourite drummers.

Asgeir Mickelson (Spiral Architect, ex-Borknagar, ex-Vintersorg)
Sean Reinert
George Kollias
Flo Mournier
Gene Hoglan
Richard Christy
Virgil Donati
Derek Roddy
Bobby Jarzombek
Tomas Haake
Hans Nilsson (Luciferion)

You have some great drummers on your list, but I'm surprised that anyone could say HH was a better drummer than Mike Portnoy. Virgil Donati is the most technically accomplished drummer on the planet; yes even moreso than the drummer from Gorguts Omni :saint:

Have you ever seen any of Derek Roddy's instructional DVDs??? They are the most hillarious I have ever seen. Derek Roddy looks like a fucking moron. He's just teh drumm sredd0r. I've never seen or heard him play anything with substance. George Kollias is much better.

Epic lawlzz! Look at the way he talks.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFEP_stPGI&feature=related[/ame]

Look at this noodly ass shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hear some albums where he played and I think he's pretty good.

I choose HH instead Portnoy mainly because he's very technical and combines his skills with brutality, Portnoy just uses his technical side (for the music he plays for sure). As I said before, I like more HH on Arcturus (his drumming is superb there, both brutal and highly technical) and Winds than Mayhem's work and DB' ISD.

Anyway I think Portnoy is kinda overrated (not so much as Myung, but still overrated).

refuses to vote in poll where I would be forced to choose Portnoy. Who, yes, is overrated. Not a bad drummer at all, just doesn't need the exact pedestal he's on.

Do you even play drums?? I dabble in drums slightly, although I'm not good at all.

You can actually listen to Dream Theater just for the drums, which I suggest you do next time you put on Awake or SFaM. He deserves all the praise he gets, actualy. I would even go as far to say he's the most accomplished musician in Dream Theater, along with Jordan Rudess. He has the most diverse assortment of drum lines of anyone I've ever heard.

Do you even play drums?? I dabble in drums slightly, although I'm not good at all.

You can actually listen to Dream Theater just for the drums, which I suggest you do next time you put on Awake or SFaM. He deserves all the praise he gets, actualy. I would even go as far to say he's the most accomplished musician in Dream Theater, along with Jordan Rudess. He has the most diverse assortment of drum lines of anyone I've ever heard.

I don't prefer his sense of timing, the feel in his fills, or his choice of tone. I do not play drums but have been playing guitar for 12 years, starting on rhythm and moving to lead, and writing based on the interplay and interchanging of rhythms. I don't play drums because I simply can't do it. Aside from that I'm a huge fan of drums and know a huge amount of what there is to know about them especially considering what I write includes them, individually. I can be found beating on myself like an idiot doing air/leg drums more than I can playing air guitar.

What I don't prefer is what I don't prefer and not only that field of opinion but I also feel there are those who are far more interesting and 'individual' than he is. I don't always know it's him playing until he brings this certain bounciness to the table which sounds stale to my ears.

Drummers I love:

Virgil Donati
Mat Stancioiu (listen to Labyrinth songs such as 'Hand in Hand', 'This World', and 'Just Soldier', all off the self-titled, and you'll get a very good feel for how I WISH Portnoy was most of the time in terms of how he feels out the more involving parts)
Sean Reinert
Antonio Leon
Horgh
Richard Christy

and I still said I would vote for Portnoy in this poll.