Best gigs of 2006

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
So peoples, what were the best gigs you saw in 2006?

(Did you see Maiden last night, Spiffo??)

Metal for the Brain, Dark Tranquillity, a LORD gig in Canberra and the Deadthings in Sydney. I have a feeling I saw something else I dug too, but I can't remember what it was. That would create the assumption that it wasn't that great, but in my case that may not be so. I could have just been shitfaced.

Maiden is Friday and Saturday.

The only gig I've seen this year was Tenacious D on Monday night at Hammersmith. Excellent show and an excellent venue.

Sweet as, Tenacious D. What'd that cost?

Fucking Maiden playing this weekend - we're in London next week. Bastards!

1. Cathouse 20th Anniversary
@ The Key Club, West Hollywood!
- Faster Pussycat
- Tracii's LA Guns
- Metal Skool
- Bang Tango
- Jetboy
- Rhino Bucket
- All star jam with Stephen Pearcy, Lemmy, Dizzy Reed, Tracii Guns, etc!
- Hot Go-Go Girls!!!!
Need I say more????

2. Pretty Boy Floyd & The Deadthings!
@ Paladinos in Tarzana, California.
Because I got to not only see & meet Pretty Boy Floyd, but also play on the same stage as them right before them! (And it was our best US show) And embarrassingly slip over in front of Stevie Rachelle from Tuff who laughed at me about it! Haha.

3. Metal Skool
@ The Key Club, West Hollywood
Coz they are UNREAL and had guest stars such as Jani Lane, Scott Ian, John Corabi, Bobby Blotzer (Ratt), played heaps of cool songs including their original Stripper Girl and a Journey cover which they dedicated to Julian and mentioned us on stage!

4. LA Guns & The Deadthings
@ The Whisky A Go-Go, West Hollywood!
Like with PBF, because not only did I get to see the more "classic" lineup of LA Guns (with Phil Lewis & Steve Riley) but also got to support them AND play The Whisky!! And it was also the first time I saw Revlon Red who were great!

Yep, I had fun overseas... *Sigh* Wanna go back there!!! After that I'd say Queensryche & Malmsteen!

Satyricon hands down, one of my top 3 fav bands, fuckin tops. Dark Tranquility, although Im not really fan played a long and awesome set as well as Deicide. And Opeth of course, first time ive seen them so i was stoked as.

Saw Maiden last night. Excellent show. Because I for some reason can't start a new thread I'll just put everything here.

* Same setlist as the rest of the tour, ie AMOLAD-Fear of the Dark-Iron Maiden-2 Minutes to Midnight-Evil That Men Do-Hallowed Be Thy Name
* A handful of people walked out by about Lord of Light or so.
* They had to turn the sound off after The Longest Day because one of the cables was on fire. Bruce said it would be about five minutes but it ended up being 20 minutes. The crowd was surprisingly good-natured about this. To entertain us Adrian, Steve and someone from the crew played soccer on stage, then Bruce got on the spotlights and got the crowd to do a few Mexican waves, then had us sing Happy Birthday for Dave (even though it wasn't his birthday until the next day) and then got on a megaphone to talk to the crowd (the only thing we could make out was "This has nothing to do with Sharon Osbourne!"). Eventually the sound came back on and Bruce thanked us for our patience. Turned out it was the fault of Earl's Court's equipment, not Maiden's.

Even though I know they won't, I'm still hoping they do something a bit different for the second night. I've pretty much accepted they won't, though.

Bought two shirts - a really nice AMOLAD one with a close up of Eddie on the tank from the cover and with A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH on the back, and one with Eddie dressed up as one of those Buckingham Palace guards with the big hats with "I spent Christmas with Eddie at Earl's Court Dec 22 & 23 2006". Very nice.

Saw them again last night. Exact same setlist, of course. I thought it was a better show though and the crowd was more into it.

We saw Chris Squire from Yes! He only stayed for four songs and then left.

Sounds like you're having fun, Spiff! Trent's had a good year for gigs too!

My top shows:

1. Sebastian Bach
2. Living Colour's 3rd show
3. Living Colour's 1st show
4. Megadeth and Arch Enemy
5. Living Colour's 2nd show
6. Nursery Crimes
7. Opeth

Nothing comes to mind actually. All bands I saw this year I'd either seen beforehand (and were better then) or weren't very memorable. Satyricon were pretty disappointing I thought, think it's safe to say Satyr is well and truly a rock'n'roll star.