What gigs have you seen lately?

I saw Alice last Tuesday. Good stuff.

Was supposed to see Whitesnake tomorrow night but it's been cancelled due to Klaus Meine's kidney stones. I had no interest in seeing Scorpions so I'm fairly annoyed that Whitesnake had to cancel too. Make it a Whitesnake show and give refunds to those who only wanted to see Scorpions.

Not a Scorpions fan? The venue might have been a bit big for just Whitesnake fans. Also I have seen Whitesnake/Coverdale references a few times; does the band not feature many original members?

The Alice show above was the last I've been to. Witchskull have played a few shows here, but have sold out each time. Anyone been to a gig in the last 6 months?

And last night I saw Midnight Oil with thousands of others. It was my first show of that scale for over a year.

Shit... what WAS my last gig? If you mean a paid to go to gig that I wasn't working at... I actually can't remember. It *was* going to be Pseudo Echo late last year but plans fell through at the last minute as usual.

But the last gig I actually went to (and was filming) was the Raising Ravens album launch a couple of months back. Off to see My Whisper and Jess from Raising Ravens play tonight, actually (but being Mister Videographer once again)

Have there not been tours you've been super keen on?

What camera do you use for videographer duties?

Have there not been tours you've been super keen on?

Yes, but lack of time and money (time especially - between family commitments and the upcoming LORD stuff, if I get a night off, it's a miracle), this has basically put a nix on any shows unless I'm playing there (which we haven't done in ages) or working there.

What camera do you use for videographer duties?

My camera is a Sony a7 SIII with various lenses, gimbals, etc. and for the bigger jobs I'm usually out with James from Arc Shot Media (we used to be partners in Dusk Music Video Production) and he usually has his Sony FX6 as his A-cam, and a slew of others, drones, etc. as well as the usual haul of lights, flags, basic gaffer gear, etc. You can see these things in action in our Savage Garden cover, the last couple of My Whisper and Raising Ravens clips too. Great cameras - super cinematic!

Reactions: Winmar
I see local shows most weeks - too many to list here. It's been around a year or so of international tours being a thing again post-pandemic though. The main ones I've seen in that time:

Cockney Rejects
Mayhem
Sacred Reich / Vio-Lence
Sasquatch
Skeletal Remains
Vader / Hate / Thy Disease

I went to see Kings of Thrash on Friday. Dave Ellefson and another former Megadeth member, Jeff Young plus a couple of other guys. Good show! Everyone just had fun.

How
I see local shows most weeks - too many to list here. It's been around a year or so of international tours being a thing again post-pandemic though. The main ones I've seen in that time:

Cockney Rejects
Mayhem
Sacred Reich / Vio-Lence
Sasquatch
Skeletal Remains
Vader / Hate / Thy Disease
How were Vader? I wanted to see them but they didn't visit here.

They were killer as expected - one of my fav death metal bands even though their material gets kinda samey. It was a bit of an endurance test seeing 3 Polish dm bands in a row though! I think at one point I noticed the people around me had more energy left than I did. Not that I mosh much, but I feel fitter now than at the post-pandemic reintroduction last year when I was puffed after 1 Skeletal Remains song.

That's my biggest problem with death metal (well anything, really, but death metal seems especially prone) - it all ends up feeling kind of samey after a while. I limit how much I listen to because if I listen to anything extreme, I want it to really kick me in the face and make me appreciate how brutal it is, and sadly that wears off pretty fast.

When listening at home, particular vocals will make/break music for me, and after that I prefer something varied: atmospheric/doom elements and building & releasing tension (ie. better if brutal parts have something to contrast against). Some of the best in my books are death/doom band Coffins, the new Static Abyss album and some of Ulcerate's albums. Whereas I'd rate my more straightforward death metal 'favourites' around the 75% mark at best.

Live is different though - it's often close to the best thing ever at the moment it's happening!

oooo Blind Guardian coming in 2024.

Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney – WE! CAN'T! WAIT!
🤩

In February 2024, we will embark on the great journey to your breathtaking continent and are already looking forward to it!
🇦🇺

🇦🇺
05/02/24 – Brisbane
🇦🇺
07/02/24 – Adelaide
🇦🇺
09/02/24 – Melbourne
🇦🇺
10/02/24 – Sydney
Grab your tickets here!
➡️
overdrivetouring.com/blind-guardian