What do you find important in a gig?

metallica144

Lammendam
Apr 13, 2010
Holland
With 2 awesome gigs on the schedule, the question raised to me what i find important in a gig. The last 2 days i found myself searching the setlist of DT's gigs so far so i know which songs i can expect. That's one of the things i find important; the right songs. How much do you care about the actual songs being played?

Or do you care more about the atmosphere at a gig?

I'm not the guy who watches the show from a distance with a beer in my hand; i never drink at concerts. Again a DT example; next week i want to get as close as possible to John Petrucci. Call me a fanboy, but i want to watch him play very close to me and make a chance to catch a pick or something.

Of course i hate it when you can tell that the band isn't playing with a lot of fun. Of course you get tired on tour, but you got to remember that there are many other guys who would like to change places with you and be on tour, playing everywhere.

The best gig i've ever been to was the first time i saw Evile. It was good because the atmosphere was really good (even though i don't care that much about that), the band played outstanding and with a lot of joy, the setlist was good, it didn't come across like it was routine for them and they did an extra song on demand of the crowd, Creeping Death. Of course the gig was in a small venue.

I've seen Metallica twice but none of those 2 gigs were better than that one time i saw Evile. The first time i went to a Metallica show i sat at like the second balcony. It was way to big for a good atmosphere (except with Enter Sandman, everyone went nuts)

What was your favorite gig ever and why? It appears that i'm asking 2 questions now...

If I really like at least 70-80% of the bands catalogue, the setlist doesn't really matter to me too much. I find the atmosphere important to an extent. I hate it when most people are just standing around like zombies whereas I find it a lot more fun when you can headbang and sing along with all these metal heads like yourself.

I also tend to prefer being as close as possible to the stage. That may be because I should make the most of having a young, sturdy body before I get too old and sore :p

Haven't been to a lot of gigs actually due to always having no money, but my favorite shows were Metallica and Disturbed in 2011. Both due to the fact of they played songs I wasn't expecting and for the atmosphere reason I mentioned above

Hhhmm.... I like this topic.

For me, smaller venues are best. True, Iron Maiden and Metallica and such should play larger places, but the vibe you get from smaller places is just way better in my opinion. Both times I saw Evile, they played at the same place and it just sounded soooo great because of the small atmosphere. Dream Theater played in a theater ( :lol: ) and I actually really disliked that place, so location has a good deal to do with it, but I think the most important thing for me is that band is enjoying what they're doing.

Nobody wants to see a bunch of bored dudes on stage making noise because they have to, right?

The people around me. A lot of gigs I go to are ruined by annoying 14 year old shitheads who don't understand the meaning of 'fuck off' - when I tell you to stop trying to push me into the pit, I mean it. Do it again and I'll use your spine as a toothpick, you cunt.

The fact that a lot of them giv eme the 'I'm more metal than you' (cue Brian Posehn) shit is offputting too. It's sullied my opinion of metal fans in general.

Everything that has already been mentioned.

I like small venues, but it can suck if there is a low turnout. If there isn't at least 100 people it can get boring quick. The bands are disappointed because they aren't making any money and they don't have anyone to play to.
Someone mentioned staying on time. I hate venues that delay the bands from going on. I know they are trying to make money on alcohol sales, but I don't want to be out at 2 am on a weeknight since I have work the next day.

I agree with Dave on the people at the gig playing a big factor. I'm at the age where I don't want to push anyone or get pushed around by anyone so I usually find a spot off to the side or in the back where I can drink and head-bang in peace. Speaking of mosh pits....I think they are cool if that is what you want to do, but it seems like nearly every show I go to that someone goes too far, there is a fight, and people end up getting kicked out or dragged out by security. Where is the fun in that?

Even at the last Evile show I attended there was some asshole constantly shoving into me - at the back, where there was plenty of goddamn space. Needless to say, he eventually backed off after I told him six fucking times that he'd get punched. Six times. Surprised I didn't just feed him a knuckle sandwich.

I go to shows to enjoy myself, not put up with fucking assholes. I have Vindicator for that.

Shit I've seen tons of gigs. Pantera, Dream Theater, Megadeth, Metallica, Entombed, Emperor, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Borknagar, Witchery, Type O Negative. Had tickets to a Death show but the band had canceled. Iced Earth, Soundgarden, Peccatum, King Diamond, Blackmore's Night, Opeth, Amorphis, Prong, Slayer...etc...I have had fights, moshpits, joint fests, drunk, I've had my beer drugged at shows with ectasy. I've been punched in the back and I've hit back. I've had friends knock people out. I have seen a lot of cool shit.

The thing that makes shows great is the performance and personality. If the band plays great, and tight. The sound of course, got to have good sound. Cool people, some people are assholes yes, alot of that sometimes has to do with being drugged or shitfaced drunk. It doesn't take much, I mean its a metal concert not a church so you have to expect some thorns in the crowd.

Aye, crowd aside it's all down to the band's attitude. I've been to a lot of shows where the artist in question has stood there looking bored, which pretty much rubs off on you... Nile were an offender here, I actually slept through 2/3 of their set they were so bad. On the flipside, Seregon and Onslaught are two bands who've always been fucking excellent and Annihilator were incredible both times I saw them because they were so goddamn enthusiastic onstage, they seemed like they were enjoying themselves. That matters.

Naturally, a carefully picked setlist always helps too. This is one thing that can make some Evile shows slightly repetitive for me these days. I say can because once in awhile they've pulled out some surprises, but 90% of the time I know exactly what songs I'm going to hear when I see them live. In their instance, it doesn't matter too much because they're generally so bloody good onstage, but in other cases it can be quite a pain - "Oh they're playing *x*, followed directly by *y* and *z*, like I totally didn't see that coming from a mile away". Variation is the key. I mean playing certain tracks is mandatory for any band, but it's always nice to throw in some old songs or something that they've never played before just to keep things interesting. Devin Townsend played Vampira for the first time ever at Bloodstock last year, that's a fantastic example.

@AMD, wait, you've seen Dream Theater? I thought you hated it :')

on the topic of enthusiasm; The last time i went to Amon Amarth, Black Dahlia Murder was support act. I didn't know them. I also need to mention that i usually hate support acts. BUT Black Dahlia Murder was AWESOME. Why? The frontman was fucking enthusiastic! It was contagious. The same with the last time i saw CoB with Ensiferum as support act. I really enjoyed Ensiferum because of their enthusiasm, especially that of the bassist :lol:

Even shitty bands or bands that I don't like tend to impress me once in awhile if they have the right attitude on stage. But there' a balance... if they're TOO enthusiastic then it comes across as annoying and/or forced.

Agreeing with Dave here. People who are too friendly or enthusiastic are annoying, which is why I hate most people bothering me at stores like Best Buy or something.

When I saw Lazarus AD when they opened for Evile and Kreator, they seemed kinda bored and it killed the vibe a little bit. And don't even get me started on Black Tide. :ill:

I prefer smaller, club-type venues. I do like open air festivals because they generally give you more bang for your buck, but the smaller venues allow you to get closer to the stage. Plus, metal wasn't meant to be played in the sunlight. :
:D
I like being a rowdy crowd that actually seem thrilled to be seeing the bands. I don't mind getting pushed around a bit.
The mood of the band can make or break a show for me. Nothing can ruin a show more than watching a band that look like they're just going though the motions.

@AMD, wait, you've seen Dream Theater? I thought you hated it :')

on the topic of enthusiasm; The last time i went to Amon Amarth, Black Dahlia Murder was support act. I didn't know them. I also need to mention that i usually hate support acts. BUT Black Dahlia Murder was AWESOME. Why? The frontman was fucking enthusiastic! It was contagious. The same with the last time i saw CoB with Ensiferum as support act. I really enjoyed Ensiferum because of their enthusiasm, especially that of the bassist :lol:

I saw Ensiferum with CoB earlier this year too, and I had the same experience. They seemed genuinely happy to be there, which made their set very enjoyable. I would definitely go see them again. Yea, I liked the bassist too, especially his epic beard. :lol:

Good atmosphere is the biggest thing for me. I hate going to a gig and standing around. There needs to be some action going on- something to release the adrenalin. :) That will probably fade away as I get older/ go to more gigs. And the small venues are usually better.

Also setlist is important. IMO atmosphere makes or breaks the gig though. A poor setlist can be made up for by good atmosphere.

Good atmosphere is the biggest thing for me. I hate going to a gig and standing around. There needs to be some action going on- something to release the adrenalin. :) That will probably fade away as I get older/ go to more gigs. And the small venues are usually better.

Also setlist is important. IMO atmosphere makes or breaks the gig though. A poor setlist can be made up for by good atmosphere.

gonna agree 100 % with that!

I also went to gigs were the athmosphere was just terrible and people were just standing around like when I went to see Onslaught last year, one of the worst concerts I've attended in years. The last real good one was Thrashfest though I expected alittle bit more of it.
There were also maybe 100 people there but it was still very cool to see all those awesome bands, especially Exodus and Destruction!

Back to topic:
I think it's really important that the right people are at a concert. I hate it when drunk bastards are hanging around everywhere and talking shit, punching me on the chest. I also like to drink alot but it's no reason to molest other people with that 'oohh Iam so drunk' behaviour.
Fuck those assholes.