Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Bass/bassist

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Vocals/singer

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • All equal

Votes: 50 56.8%

• Total voters
Everything is important, but I voted vocals. I always hear ''that band would be cool if they had another singer'', but I never hear'' this band would be good if they had a better drummer/bassist/guitarist),

I believe everything is equal. Certain genres require more emphasis on a particular instrument, but when you look at the big picture they are all important.

The material is only as strong as it's weakest link. DEFINITELY ALL.

You could have a band where the music is kick ass, but the vocalist sucks balls (kind of like Dream Theater or Nevermore or 3 Inches of Blood), then the whole song has that degree of gayness that you can't help but key in on. It might be cool, but it's still gayer than you'd really like it to be.

Then of course, you could have a whole band that sucks balls, like Six Feet Under... then not only does the song suffer from extreme gayness, but so does the whole band - a bunch of dudes that can't play and sound like complete shit.

Know what I'm sayin?

:D

I voted for the vocals. Nothing can get past a singer who can't phrase stuff in a spicy manner. It's okay for the rest to be simplistic unless if you're going for something complicated. Even then, vocals drive a song. There's no excuse for a boring vocal line. The rhythm can stay as monotonous as possible and still get away winning a grammy due to the vocal line, you know. :lol:

I voted all equal because there have been quite a few sections in several songs by several bands where I think "that guitar riff is badass, BUT.... IF the drums were doing something a little different, or IF the bassist were doing something a little different....IF the vox were doing something a little different...... it'd jam THAT much harder".
And then there are those songs with memorable sections that you know are coming and when everything gels together and everyone is doing that special something.... that magic...... thats the stuff you feel in your soul and makes you want to thrash around like an idiot having the most fun in your life.
For me, anyway.
Its a blend of everything, although I'm personally drawn to the instrumentation moreso than vocals albeit appreciating vocal talent.

I voted all equal, after all, when you get past all the riffing and grooving and blasting, it should be a song...even though for me the money moment is the initial impact of what the guitar is playing and what it sounds like while it plays it...I often refer to the first seconds of John Syke's guitar on the 'Still of the Night' track...everyones head turns.

That said, everybody knows the guitarist has the toughest job in the band...I mean, the bass player only plays 1 string, the drummer sits down all night, and the singer doesn't even carry his own gear!!!:lol:

^^ I was just thinking this. I would also agree with all equal, but guitars will always stand out for me on an album. I like to hear something new and refreshing on guitars on an album over all other instruments. Then again, I would admit I am biased in the fact that I am a guitarist.

Sure, the riffs are important.
BUT don’t forget that all those other instruments can change the feeling of a song in a major way.
E.g. the bass can change the harmony; the drums can create more tension etc.

I voted all equal.

I know the question is metal specific but at the same time it's rare to hear a good band in any style w/o a good drummer (or one edited to sound that way).

I wish I could vote for keyboards just for the laugh.

true that

a band can get by with mediocre talent from the bass, guitar, or vocals...but if your drummer sucks, you're fucking dooooooooooooooooomed!

Although in reality everyone is equal, Drums and vocals are the most important to me. I can listen to a song and not worry about the guitars are doing too much, if it's got a cool groove and the vocalist can actually sing his/her ass off, then I'm in.

I play guitar

The material is only as strong as it's weakest link. DEFINITELY ALL.

You could have a band where the music is kick ass, but the vocalist sucks balls (kind of like Dream Theater or Nevermore or 3 Inches of Blood), then the whole song has that degree of gayness that you can't help but key in on. It might be cool, but it's still gayer than you'd really like it to be.

Then of course, you could have a whole band that sucks balls, like Six Feet Under... then not only does the song suffer from extreme gayness, but so does the whole band - a bunch of dudes that can't play and sound like complete shit.

Know what I'm sayin?

:D

Wow, I seriously thought I was the only person who thinks that bands like Nevermore just don't sound good to me because of horrid vocals :p