How important is "playing live" for you guys?

How important is "playing live" for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You see someone in the audience singing your own songs passionately...you'll know that this is one of the best feelings in your life. No studiowork whatsoever can be THAT satisfying. Seeing people who listen to your music for the first time go crazy is also priceless. Barely anything is more fulfilling than direct and honest appreciation for your own art.

I voted for "playing live is my life", then I read your post and I'm not exactly your target audience for the poll... because I do that audio stuff only for my own projects, and more out of necessity and because of the old saying, if you want to do stuff right, do it yourself (or however that translates to english). Sometimes I think "fuck all that recording stuff, I just wanna play guitar!". :D

I do certainly know how important it is to put out albums, and I love to write new songs and challenge myself to make them as good as possible. But when I write I always have the live performance in mind, that's my main motivation.

EDIT: Of course, to have people sing along to your songs live, they need to listen to it at home and read the lyrics... so they need an album... so I need to record. :D

Im not into playing live as much, mostly because of the musicians in my area. its hard to find people who have their own equipment, and are dedicated. every band ive played in is the same. I end up getting the show, loading all the equipment (mine) so its done right (not carrying the db pedals by the bar in the middle), driving to the gig, making sure we get paid, ect.

then they drink all the free beer while im doing this.

then the bass player says: "man i played so good, al the other bassists were jealous" meanwhile his amp came unplugged halfway through, and he never noticed lol

FTR: skateboarding while playing bass doesnt work lol you look cool, but your bandmates look like fumbling idiots!

okay... maybe I unplugged his bas hahahaha (sneaky)

honestly, Im more into writing music, learning about production and testing my abilities, working, and spending time with my family, than playing in a band.

to tell the truth, I havent been that motivated to play anymore. I`m more into the production / engineering aspect of music now. its more interesting and challenging to me!

I've never played live. And I'm not really looking forward to it either, I have a serious case of stage fright.
Though, I can't help but wonder how it would feel every time I watch a band play live.

I used to get really nervous before playing. Now it's like the coolest thing ever.

Nothing's cooler than staring some girl down whilst shredding ballz and haven everyone just looking at you terrified/totally diggin it.

I've never played live. And I'm not really looking forward to it either, I have a serious case of stage fright.
Though, I can't help but wonder how it would feel every time I watch a band play live.

FUCK STAGE FRIGHT.

Seriously dude, fuck it :) Bend it over and start sliding your equipment in and out ... because stage fright is something that should be totally eradicated from the face of this planet. I thought I had it too when I was younger.. I had only played very small "shows", like talent scout thingie with my beginner band and that went so so... but when I was like 19-20 I had the opportunity to play with the swedish heavy metal group Steel Attack (yes behold the name, it's almighty *sigh*), and the first show we did was on a festival in another town and it felt so big for me. I was like ... nervous, but as soon as I got on the stage, it just disappeared. I was sound checking a little, just slamming the drums to see if everything was working, and as I did, people watched me and I went like "coooool :D" (yes, I had that smiley on my face too).

And for the thread question... for me, music is about playing live. Too bad this town sucks smelly dick though, so I'm not getting any live action. That's why I've got myself into recording and stuff but it soaks up all my time so I never practise any instrument anymore these days... and that really sucks, I play like a dick these days :(

I loooooooooooove playing live - the studio is pretty stressful with trying to be perfect (which I'm certainly not !) the live thing is just awesome, we traveled a bit last year and met so many really amazing people, the live thing is what I think of the most. lol I reckon you record just so you can go live

Nothing beats playing live, IMO. But nothing beats listening to your own music with really killer production. They're both essential to me.

I enjoy playing live, although it's always stressful and there are always technical problems. I haven't played live since 2007 and I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. For any future shows, I'm going to simplify my live rig considerably, since I'm never given any time to set up or tear down. Metal gigs in California suck that way.

Playing live and recording on my part. But lately I've come to the conclusion that I've played so many shitty shows (uncountable) in my life that I will not step on stage again till I have the greatest gear and musicians...(apart from session work) that attidude might keep me off stage for a while but I'm really sick of mediocre bands and mediocre performances and sound.

While recording is great, fun and stressfull, an album can be copied/downloaded/mp3'd whatever. You need the live shows to sell your merch and your name, which you can't do that well being a studio band.
Plus you can't really pirate a live experience. :)

you can't really pirate a live experience.

This is so true. I can give +10000 to all you´ve written. I have nightmares about staying on stage with "quite unprofessional musicians with crappy gear". I wanna impress and surprise with a gig and that´s only possible, if much effort and good planning precedes. Also a good Band atmosphere is bloody important imo. The presence must be positive!

Ugghh, I just wanna vent my EXTREME frustration at going to a college with a large music industry major - I'm constantly surrounded by dudes in bands going on tours and playing shows, and I get so infuriatingly jealous seeing them on stage and wishing I could be there, yet despite my best efforts, finding a solid lineup of musicians is hell! (and as I mentioned, no fucking way am I gonna compromise my musical integrity to get up there faster). But things are looking up with my current band now that we got a new drummer after we finally had to part ways with our old one (he was a frat boy and one of those "getting involved" types who ALWAYS had to fucking cancel and was horribly uncommunicative), so hopefully we'll be able to play a few shows before 3 out of the 4 of us graduate in May! :Smug: Oh well, at least we'll definitely get our stuff recorded so you dudes can hear it :headbang: (cuz no one's opinion matters more to be, quite honestly!)

very interesting thread!

my band (nole) just played live for the first time ever last weekend. fortunately, it was a big success!

we really connected with the crowd and we even got praise from the club owner (who was a dick to us at first lol) and even the bouncer who said he only listens to hip hop! we couldn't have asked for a better reaction, it is obvious when somebody is being sincere or not. even our friends had a slightly shocked look on their face! i dont want to brag but i am just so proud of my band and our hard work we put into our music in the past 2 years. that kind of shit makes you wanna go out and do it again.

i think the best musicians are in 3D. rehearsal, recording and gigging being the three dimensions of course. giggity giggity!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jni0KsKyXbE&feature=channel[/ame]