How important is "playing live" for you guys?

How important is "playing live" for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
thanks felix! despite all our hard work, we did feel lucky!:kickass:

You´re welcome, dude :kickass: You finaly reap what you've sown! This feeling is so damn satisfactory. I played not live since nearly one decade..sometimes I really miss it a lot.

+1 @ "how do play live?" hahahaha

we should all write a book called "how do make metal" by ¯(°_o)/¯

Hahaha yes, I´m on board :D

Nothing beats playing live, IMO. But nothing beats listening to your own music with really killer production. They're both essential to me.

This is interesting...

I always hate my music after I've recorded and produced it. Like... I like it during the process, but when I'm oficially done with it and "release" it, I just never listen to it myself again and it all feels mediocre. I'm constantly looking forward instead.

Guess I don't make music for myself, I make it for others... wow, that sounds lame. I haven't made any effort to "promote" myself though but.... in time.

I think playing live should be the main aim for a musician after playing for yourself.
Plus, this is the best promo as people gets more shocked listening to a gig than to a cd, so they talk and that´s the best promo you can have.
And the grrrls, lol. It´s a pain anyway to play live a lot and for a long time, but I´d prefer this to work from 8 to 15:00 if it was the case. :kickass:

I think playing live should be the main aim for a musician after playing for yourself.
Plus, this is the best promo as people gets more shocked listening to a gig than to a cd, so they talk and that´s the best promo you can have.
And the grrrls, lol. It´s a pain anyway to play live a lot and for a long time, but I´d prefer this to work from 8 to 15:00 if it was the case. :kickass:

+1 for the GRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant seem to pick up girls in "real life" but when it comes to shows, fuggedaboudit!

I hate wasting hours in a van, wasting hours in checks and waiting for the moment to go to stage.
But the show itself and the aftershow moment of cigarrettes and beers is like a multiorgasmic experience.:kickass::kickass::kickass:

Despite being a guitar player, and having been in many bands - I now play guitar to chill out.

So, speaking solely as an engineer / mixer - My aim is to take a band, and create an impression of them live - but something you can listen to time after time.

To me, that's the whole point of recorded music - you could listen to your favourite song at your convenience.

Pretty much what everyone's said so far! :)

I enjoy live playing, but I'm passionate about making the music (be it recording, mixing whatever). Tours are the best part in playing live. One-off gigs here and there sometimes feel like a waste of time, especially if there's only a handful of people watching! :loco:

About stage fright, even after some 50 odd gigs, I still get nervous, sometimes even to the point of not wanting to get up there. But when I do... :headbang:

I haven't played in years. I switched from playing guitars/bass to tracking/mixing/mastering/producing/FOH-mix. Just got a FOH last night (like most nights). I know what it feels like playing live, I don' know about you, but after the show is about to start/end, I get exactly the same adrenalyn rush. Just love it.

I've always wanted to play live in a pop/rock band, where I can like detach from the playing and just be one with the music. Man.

Metal, I always have to pay attention to some degree. I just want to be able to dwell in the riff onstage minus the thinking.

Plus there'd be a TON more people.

I've always wanted to play live in a pop/rock band, where I can like detach from the playing and just be one with the music. Man.

Metal, I always have to pay attention to some degree. I just want to be able to dwell in the riff onstage minus the thinking.

Plus there'd be a TON more people.

Aye. Agreed 100%.
I love metal n stuff, and I *REALLY* loved screaming live. Causing carnage, falling over all the gear, knocking bandmates over because we were that caught up in the total utter chaos of the moment, it's an amazing feeling. And there's nothing like getting on the stage and going into that first scream. Nothing like it at all, but metal's such a fucking popularity contest round here. It's all about whos jeans are tighter, whos breakdowns are more chuggy, who can rip off in flames/tool more (take your pick) whereas all the pop stuff (as much as it's all shit around here) you just go out and play. Seems like the only genre around here where you can go on stage looking like a complete doss and have the crowd still appreciate the music.

I say crowd, at metal shows round here, not many turn up and then they go sit at the bar and act as though there isn't a band there. It's pretty lame. Pop shows? People turn up, get drunk and dance. You'd think it'd be like that at metal shows too, but meh D:

Pop shows? People turn up, get drunk and dance. You'd think it'd be like that at metal shows too, but meh D:

That's all I want.

People just ENJOYING themselves.

Metal around the shows are all about who can have the word "FUCK," OR "GRIND" more times on their black zipup hoodies. It's fucking weak. Everyone's always miserable too. And you need to have skin tight jeans, nike dunks, and a backwards flatbrim hat with some fucked up pink or green color. YOU MUST LOOVE BROOTLS. MUST. BUT you also must NOT know who Suffocation, Death, Severe Torture or any other old school/Good death metal bands are.
You can , however, pretend to like Cannibal Corpse. ESPECIALLY Barnes era.

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

I just wanna get on stage, and cock out with my rock out.
Get some people into the music and have everyone be happy and sing along.

I'm miserable enough on my own haha I don't need to go to a "BRO-TAL" show to be miserable.

Metal around the shows are all about who can have the word "FUCK," OR "GRIND" more times on their black zipup hoodies. It's fucking weak. Everyone's always miserable too. And you need to have skin tight jeans, nike dunks, and a backwards flatbrim hat with some fucked up pink or green color. YOU MUST LOOVE BROOTLS. MUST. BUT you also must NOT know who Suffocation, Death, Severe Torture or any other old school/Good death metal bands are.
You can , however, pretend to like Cannibal Corpse. ESPECIALLY Barnes era.

So...they're not metal kids, they're scene-core/metalcore/death-core/mediocore kids, yet your condemning the whole metal show scene because of them? Personally I really like playing shows where people aren't expecting the style of music I'm playing, cuz it's awesome to see them getting into it and looking surprised at how unexpectedly awesome we are (if nothing else cuz of tightness, which I always insist upon in practice).

I play guitar because its an extension of my spirit. That spirit needs to be expressed and shared with others. Sure, its nice to create and make a tangible representation of your ideas and visions through recording/studio work, but playing live is about emoting and going full circle. The whole point of learning an instrument is to be able to "perform" with it and make the listener feel something. Sure, the process getting there can be messy and be riddled with problems sometimes, but its what musicians do and live for.

Studio work = hard labor: Set up mics, take after take, analysing, thinking, eq, pan, mix, re-analyse, redo, repeat.

Playing Live = natural process: Have a drink, see crowd, feel the energy, get pumped, plug in, go, no turning back.

Bottom line: No studio project or anything similar can be as fullfilling as an experience as playing an awesome gig with a great band, to a attentive audience, and feeling the rush and euphoria before and after you get off stage. Its like a ritual.