How important is "playing live" for you guys?

How important is "playing live" for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hello Dudes :kickass:

Sometimes I think, it´s all too much...my complete life is music, A lot of guitar/bass students, some record projects simultaneously & my own music stuff, what is my real satisfaction..(create & produce my own shit).

Sometimes I ask myself: Damn will I handle all this? Should I concentrate on my studio work, what is my absolute passion, or should I put the main focus on playing live with my upcoming band?

So the question for you enginers/producers/mixers or whatever..how important is "playing live" for you? I explore myself now...

I have this itch, this urge to show my stuff an audience live! But at the moment it would be too much music for me. I probably would have to forgo something else then, but earning money also is damn important.

I'm not the biggest fan of playing live, but at the same time beeing on tour is the coolest part of beeing in a band for me.

If that makes any sense :loco:

Playing live is what it´s all about when you´re in a band.
Why the hell should I need a band if I don´t want to play live?!
If I just wanted to record my own stuff I wouldn´t need a band. It would be MUCH easier to record it all on my own.

It goes hand in hand basically... Creating something in your studio, tweaking it with passion is quite satisfactory. But nothing beats the feeling the energetic response to your music at a great live show can give you... though I must admit I feel kinda misplaced on stage at times.

If one or the other takes overhand, it's usually not a good thing IME. If you're constantly on the road, NOTHING get's done... that's exactly why we cancelled a fuckton of gigs recently. And if you're not seeing a stage from the top for a time, it might come down on your ambition on getting things forward.

Playing metal, recording is basically a vehicle for me to get my band on the road in the first place.

... And when we've been on the road for a while, I need some days to get away from everybody and everything. :lol:

So yeah, love playing live. HATE travelling.

Edit: Also, the road is where the money is.

For me, they go completely hand in hand. I probably wouldn't enjoy recording as much if I didn't know that we're gonna play this stuff live. Seeing people recognize your songs and singing along (I've only experienced the latter with covers though) makes playing live much more fun. Having fun on stage is great, I've never really been into completely focusing on playing when doing gigs, I'm usually bouncing around and headbanging all the time. Obviously I'll play my parts as well as I can though.

You gotta know which gigs to choose i think...

Putting out a good album, then doing a few awesome live gigs to get a buzz going is probably the way for me if i had the choice..

That way you don't play shitty gigs for half of the month, but will get 1 or 2 a week which are worthwhile people and moneywise..

And i also just wanna have fun when i play live.. if i know its play, pack up and go back again, i probably won't play it if its a normal size gig (200 people...), i won't drive a fuckload if i can't drink beer and have a party with the people i play with and for...

So i'd say i like it, but its not a critical part of why i do this...

I personally just hate to play live... i just feels like a bearded woman or a whore.... to be paid for other people's joy.

I love playing live, but I'd never sacrifice the quality of my music to speed up the process! (meaning, just stringing together a few riffs and calling 'em a song for the sake of just getting on stage)

but I'd never sacrifice the quality of my music to speed up the process! (meaning, just stringing together a few riffs and calling 'em a song for the sake of just getting on stage)

I hate the fact that most bands do that, they should be shot and buried in a ditch.

It's terrible when you have to sit through the support bands, everyone sounding the same, makes me want to drive a screwdriver through my ears.

I guess i'm on the opposite spectrum. I love playing live....when it's a good show, but don't feel that's what a band is all about compared to most of my previous and current bandmates.

I still see making an album as band function #1. Playing live show, stickers, shirts, and all that other shit is for one thing. Promoting an album.

I find most musicians i've played with/play with care more about playing live because they are a bunch of self-serving "glory hogs", who care more about being cool or "scene" or whatever than they do about putting out good music.

End result for me.....id'e rather put out an album and never play live, than to play live and never put out an album.

I find most musicians i've played with/play with care more about playing live because they are a bunch of self-serving "glory hogs", who care more about being cool or "scene" or whatever than they do about putting out good music.

End result for me.....id'e rather put out an album and never play live, than to play live and never put out an album.

Big +1 to the prioritization, but I can't deny the thrill and rush I get from playing live can't be overstated!

I guess i'm on the opposite spectrum. I love playing live....when it's a good show, but don't feel that's what a band is all about compared to most of my previous and current bandmates.

I still see making an album as band function #1. Playing live show, stickers, shirts, and all that other shit is for one thing. Promoting an album.

First +1000 for that, man!

When I have the result of a complete finished album with the right people in a band, I´d propably wanna spread the message around and to sell some more records, playing live would be the consequence! I´m not that kind of showtyp, I´m propably the opposite of a party animal, but like I said, promoting a album is a matter of MUST DO! Sorry my weird english :D