Prowler - Iron Maiden
Fight Fire with Fire - Metallica
Waiting for Darkness - Jake E Lee
S.A.T.O - Randy Rhoads
Breaking All the Rules - Zakk Wylde
I am a Viking - Yngwie Jizzstain
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - BS
Snowblind - BS

1: Darkthrone - transilvanian hunger (THE black metal riff)
2: Rakoth - Gorthaur Aulendil (if you've heard it youll know what i mean)
3: Morbid Angel - rapture
4: Bolt Thrower - World Eater '94 (any riff from the first 2mins or so)
5: Vader - Wings

Originally posted by AjDeath
[
Cannible Corpse -Hammer Smashed Face & Stripped Raped and Strangled

I just need to ask something. How can you like cannibal corpse :D I mean you had it grouped in with iced earth and anthrax :D The whole point of the music is just grotesque shock value, the riffs have no melody to them whatsoever :D What are you listening to? Oh, i'm listening to force fed broken glass. come on :D
I'm not trying to flame you, I'm seriously curious, I don't understand why people can listen to it and enjoy it :D

Since no else seems to want to mention the MTV headbanger's ball era of the early 90's, I will. A lot of those early alternative/grunge era songs are what got me into music.

Alice In Chains - Grind (fuckin' creepy riff)
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song (who doesn't know
(this song)
Pearl Jam - Alive (the chorus is so classic)
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Danzig - Mother (what I would consider one of the most catchiest
simple riffs of all time)
etc.

I think that's a little harsh. He is trying to get an insight into what attracts AJDeath to Cannibal corpse, because JesterRace cannot understand how anyone can like them. He isn't saying anyone is right or wrong, he is just trying to get an understanding of what, in other peoples' opinions, makes Cannibal corpse good..

Thank you Interesti.. If he becomes so offended by what I said, then he must secretly own all the cannibal corpse albums or something. It's a little ridiculous to actually get ENRAGED over it :D I was trying to make a joke out of it, yes he can like what he likes, but to me its funny.. that's my opinion.. you gotta draw the line in the sand somewhere and realize its NOT normal to thoroughly enjoy cannibal corpse :D
Also: Notice I said i'm not trying to flame anybody, and you decided to send a neat message full of swears towards me. Grow up. I'm trying to find a reason why people like this stuff other then to laugh at it or to be rebellious as possible. That's the only reason I can think of for someone to like music that's so ridiculously disgusting :D

Dark Angel- song: Leave Scars
That's just awesome. Not really super fast or super technical... But still, one of my favs...

I think Metallica's Master of Puppets album is filled with great riffs. The acoustic intro and heavy riffs in Battery are amazing, the intro riffs in Master of Puppets are killers. Megadeth's Holy Wars and Hangar 18 are so technical. Iron Maiden's Aces High has so many good traditional riffs with cool harmony. For more good riffs check out these albums

Metallica-first five
Megadeth-first five
Nevermore-all of them
Iced Earth- Night of the Stormrider:The Path I Choose and Pure Evil
Sanctuary-Refuge Denied
Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast, Powerslave
Helloween-Keepers...part 1 and 2, and Helloween EP/Walls of Jericho/Judas
Yngwie Malmsteen-Trilogy, Alchemy, War to End All Wars

My favorite riff is actually a lead -- it's the final lead that Dave plays in Holy Wars towards the end of the song...

Also, the medium paced bridge power chord heavy as fuck riff by Zyclon on their song Worm World.

Originally posted by phyre
If he was trying to get an understanding of what makes them good, he could just ask politely, instead of saying "The whole point of the music is just grotesque shock value, the riffs have no melody to them whatsoever". This post together with his other in the "melodic death..." thread makes me think he's just very, very close-minded, and I have problems with that.

Actually, that's not close minded at all. Can you honestly tell me that the point of their music isn't for grotesque shock value? Think about it. The band themselves admit that's what its all about.

Ozzy - Waiting for Darkness
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Dio - King of Rock'n'Roll
Metallica - Blackened
Kreator - People of the Lie
Slayer - Half their production, but if I have to choose; Hell Awaits
Testament - Envy Life
Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh
Sepultura - Arise

JesterRace said:
The whole point of the music is just grotesque shock value, the riffs have no melody to them whatsoever :D
Your problem is that in your mind, melodius = good music. But this isn't true - music don't need to be melodius to be enjoyable. There are numerous examples to the opposite. I can listen to bands like cannibal corpse and enjoy it, but then the melodies are not what I'm after - but rather the rhythm and the raw pummeling power. To be swept away by music like that is actually a very refreshening feeling.

If you don't agree, it's your loss, seriously.

'bane

wow, i agree with everyones, but no one even metioned my favorite riff of 2003, Dechristianize (at 2:20) by Vital Remains. that is some damn good playing. to make it better, the dude that played that riff, played drums as well, that fucking incredible!

hmm.. these songs have cool guitar riffs

In Flames - Colony
Metallica - Master of Puppets
AC/DC - Back in Black
Joe Satriani - Ceremony
Alice in Chains - What the Hell Have I
Dream Theater - the Mirror

Yeah, this is a tough one

Symphony X - Sea of Lies, The Turning, EVERYTHING
Children of Bodom - also too many
Yngwie Malmsteen - Black Star
Dream Theater - Images and Words, lots of the sonsg
Andy Timmons - Groove or Die
Opeth - too many
Decapitated - Spheres of Madness, most of Nihility
Death - too many

ahh fuck it

Damn, I'm gonna miss a lot that I like, but these are the only ones I can think of right now.

Arch Enemy-Enemy Within
Catamenia-Kulon Tanssi, One With Sorrow, Hollow Out-Chaosborn
Cradle of Filth-Desire In Violent Overture
Death-Most of there songs.
Iced Earth-Most songs also.
Immortal-Sons of Northern Darkness, Tyrants
King Diamond-Magic, Them
Morbid Angel-Enshrined By Grace, Rapture, World Of Shit, Vengance Is Mine.... I'll just say most songs a long with a few others, too many to list.
Meshuggah-Rational Gaze, Soul Burn
Nevermore- Most songs.
Testament-Most songs.