Best Heavy Metal Ballad

Nobody brought up the awesome-est power ballad band ever? Sonata Arctica! Half their albums are ballads, ahaha.

Best ballads by Sonata Arctica:
Shy, Tallulah, Caleb, Draw Me

Haha, the list could go on. They also have covers of a couple songs mentioned here, Fade to Black & Still Loving You.

Nobody brought up the awesome-est power ballad band ever? Sonata Arctica! Half their albums are ballads, ahaha.

Best ballads by Sonata Arctica:
Shy, Tallulah, Caleb, Draw Me

Haha, the list could go on. They also have covers of a couple songs mentioned here, Fade to Black & Still Loving You.

They covered Wind Beneath My Wings too. I vote Shamandalie as their best ballad though.

metallica = kings of the metal ballad.
sanitarium
fade to black
one
nothing else matters
unforgiven

other favs:
crying in the rain - whitesnake (what a solo)
die with me - type o negative
down in a hole - alice in chains
revelation (mother earth) - Ozzy Osbourne
heart collector, believe in nothing, the passenger, tomorrow turned into yesterday, sentient no.6 - nevermore
how will i laugh tomorrow - suicidal tendencies
sleeping in the fire - WASP
obv many or all of opeths tracks
even though i now they suck, but sometimes a guilty pleasure of mine - darkness by disturbed
descend the shades of night - machine head

Tbh my top ten would be sth like this:

Nevermore – Tomorrow Turned into Yesterday
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Judas Priest – Beyond the Realms of Death
Judas Priest – Touch of Evil
Megadeth – A Tout Le Monde
Opeth – Face of Melinda
Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole
Rapture – Two Dead Names
Testament - Trail of Tears
Metallica - The Unforgiven

Symphony X - Candlelight Fantasia
Symphony X - Communion & the Oracle
Wintersun - Death and the Healing

Do Devin Townsend songs count? There's a lot of those.

Even though I agree that the thread should have ended with my suggestion of "Still Loving You" by the Scorps, another good one, far more on the metal end than my previous suggestion, is "I Died For You" by Iced Earth.

Even though I agree that the thread should have ended with my suggestion of "Still Loving You" by the Scorps, another good one, far more on the metal end than my previous suggestion, is "I Died For You" by Iced Earth.

It might not necessarily be considered a ballad, but "Watching Over Me" by Iced Earth is another great one.

Cemetary Gates - Pantera
Zzyzx Rd. - Stone Sour
Pallar Anders Visa - In Flames
Metaphor - In Flames
Black - Pearl Jam
Make it wit chu - Queens of the Stoneage
Punch me I bleed - Children of Bodom
In this River - Black label Society
Dear God - Avenged Sevenfold
Skin and bones (album/dvd) - Foo Fighters

as you can see, I only picked "new" songs and they are not metal no. so I fail at this topic. I didn't feel like thinking so I just went for popular bands, so you could relate to em. and yes, some of them are emo/gay.

The worst Ballad ever made is by far:
this world can't tear us apart - Trivium
it's horrible! sooo horrible..

the best ballad by dream theater is "space dye vest." it has kevin moore written all over it.

I'm listening to the track... look at this thread... what a coincidence.

I gotta admit, I've become somewhat of a Kevin Moore fanboy. His solo work on Chroma Key and with OSI and Fates Warning is absolutely stellar, too.

He was also BY FAR the best lyricist DT ever had. Period.