Best InsideOut release of 2005

It was a major year of disappointment for me with Inside Out. They simply don't sign metal acts anymore and all the heavier (and I use that term loosely) ones were dormant in terms of new material. Anyhow, my rankings:

1. James LaBrie- Elements of Persuasion (by a huge margin..better than DT's new one)
2. Russell Allen- Atomic Soul
3. Stream of Passion- Embrace the Storm
4. Shadow Gallery- Room V
5. Riverside-Second Life Syndrome

Could care less about the rest:

Dead Soul Tribe - The Dead Word
Carptree - Man Made Machine
Pallas - The Dreams of Men
Roine Stolt - Wall Street Voodoo
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
Steve Howe - Spectrum
Steve Hackett - Metamorpheus
Tomas Bodin - I Am
Arena - Pepper's Ghost
RPWL - World Through My Eyes
Kino - Picture
Presto Ballet - Peace Among the Ruins
Kaipa - Mindrevolutions
Magellan - Symphony for a Misanthrope
King's X - Ogre Tones

I had to go with Glenn JLB wins!! Actually our top 5s are the same except swithc SoP and Russell's albums around. But I would have to say that the Sieges Even album is an album that should be checked out, it just isnt as good as the top 5.. I also agree with the non metal acts, I mean Metal Temple received a promo for a band called the String Cheese Incident, these guys are metal or even prog-rock, they are bunch of friggin hippies. I dont know what InsideOut was thinking sending it to a Metal magazine.

I'm going with Russell Allen, but I agree with Glenn that James LaBrie's solo album is really good. It actually surprises me how much I like it, because it sounds nothing like DT!

Harvester said:

Arena - Pepper's Ghost
Mostly agree with you, though I do like some of the wussy prog stuff they've put out, but I'm a little suprised you didn't care for the new Arena. I would think that might be something you'd like and that they'd at least be somewhere on the PP radar for the prog side. I think they definitely sit on the border between progrock and progmetal and lean more to the progmetal side in my book. I really liked Pepper's Ghost and probably have it in my top 20 of 2005. Better than Contagion and near the level of Immortal? and The Visitor.

FWIW, I really like the Sieges Even too, and Presto Ballet was good for what it was.

Locust0311 said:
Harvester said:
Arena - Pepper's Ghost
Mostly agree with you, though I do like some of the wussy prog stuff they've put out, but I'm a little suprised you didn't care for the new Arena. I would think that might be something you'd like and that they'd at least be somewhere on the PP radar for the prog side.

Agree. Bad news that Glenn has no interest in Arena. They're a pretty phenomenel (sp) prog rock/metal band. Somewhat like a mix of Pain of Salvation and Threshold, with neo-prog influences.

np: Nightingale - Alive Again

More and more evidence that I need to get the second Riverside release.

Guess that moves to the top of my Xmas list this year. Already broke down and bought myself the G3 Live in Tokyo, and R30 dvds. I haven't watched 'em yet, I'll have to save that for after the 25th (pout).

DT Jesus said:
Bad news that Glenn has no interest in Arena.

That's how I felt when I saw that Dead Soul Tribe was on his "Could care less" list.

I really liked the first DST disc. I bought the second one, and yet it wasn't as good as the first, felt it was ok.

I think the new Dead Soul Tribe is quite possibly his worst album. It's too rushed. That said, Devon Graves' worst disc still kills most bands' best stuff.

NP: Radiohead - Kid A

AngraRULES said:
Riverside, followed closely by Stream of Passion!

I guess I'm the only one who is completely underwhelmed by the new Riverside CD. To me, it sounds so much like the first Riverside CD that I got tired of it after three listenings. I thought I read that it was going to be harder than the first, but it isn't appreciably IMHO.

I'm really disappointed. I REALLY liked their first CD, and really wanted this second one to be just as great.

James Labrie album is the best IMO. In fact I think it rivals the old DT albums like Awake and Images and Words. Newer DT hasn't done much for me.