BEST MALMSTEEN QUOTE EVER

About the pronunciation or System of a Down? Because I believe they're Armenian.

He actually wasn't. He was saying that System of a Down didn't sound commercial, which is connotatively a good thing. "Hooks" are gay. Why would he call a band he thinks are shit the future of Metal?

Which is why he was so surprised at hearing a "non-commercial" Metal band on the radio. This is not fucking hard to understand.

Dodens Grav said:
He actually wasn't. He was saying that System of a Down didn't sound commercial, which is connotatively a good thing. "Hooks" are gay.

"I was like, "What the fuck?""

"completely cacophonous."

"not one note that you could call "commercial." There was no hook, nothing."

Listen to Yngwie's music, it sounds pretty commercial for it's time. It has hooks, it has "notes you could call commercial."
It seems to me like he's saying SOAD sucks and there wasn't a single second worth listening to.

Commercial because is sounds pleasing to a human ear = Good.
Commercial because everyone likes it (so it sucks,a very METAL thing to think:Smug: ) = Debateable

Dodens Grav said:
Why would he call a band he thinks are shit the future of Metal?

Honesty.

Things that are "cacophonous," lacking "hooks" and are not "commercial" are generally considered positive qualities with regards to Metal. Considering Malmsteen's disdain for radio Metal, his being surprised by a (supposed) Metal band on the radio could only be interpreted as something that he sees as positive.

This is such a stupid fucking argument anyway, mainly because there's no way to tell what he means short of asking him.

Only not only is he saying that, but about half the people agree with one side and half agree with the other. There's no resolve to this issue. The comment can be, and has been, interpreted both ways, and both sides think the other side can't fucking read, so this is all a bunch of shit. I'm not arguing about someone else's opinion anymore :(

You know, for all the bad (or decent) cacophonous, no-hook, what the fuck "metal" bands on the radio, there are an equal amount of bad (or decent) non-cacophonous, hook using what the fuck "metal" bands on the radio. So he's right, it could go either way...