Best Metal Albums of 2010

LOL at new Nachtmystium and Alcest albums getting great reviews on Pitchfork.
LOL at me probably never listening to aforesaid albums because of ^.

So are Watain on Sony now or something? I can find a free d/l anywhere.

I have given up on all morality. It has enhanced my life's experience.

So far this year:

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Ares Kingdom - Incendiary
Mael Mordha - Mananana
Dropsnot - some swedish bullshit (too lazy to go check)

Really disappointed in the the new Nachtmystium. Not sure what the fuck they're thinking there. Orphaned Land's new one kinda bores me. Decent track here and there, but not enough to hit expectations 6 years after mabool. New Nevermore is good, but I've kinda stopped listening to it... not sure why. Just kinda lost interest. Same deal with the new Burzum.

Still haven't grabbed Hour of 13's new one, keep forgetting every time I'm making a purchase. Put a post-it note on the monitor that I'm sure I'll notice at some point when I don't have any cash to order it (like right now). With Pagan Altar playing some new stuff live I'm hoping we get a release out of them this year. Waiting to be disapointed with both Maiden and Blind Guardian whenever the fuck those come out. Speaking of blind, there's a new Blind Illusion album that just came out... not expecting much from it but I'm gonna pick it up anyway.

Otherwise, I've been listening to a lot of Furthur's 2010 shows. Good shit.

So far this year:

Watain - Lawless Darkness
Ares Kingdom - Incendiary
Mael Mordha - Mananana
Dropsnot - some swedish bullshit (too lazy to go check)

Really disappointed in the the new Nachtmystium. Not sure what the fuck they're thinking there. Orphaned Land's new one kinda bores me. Decent track here and there, but not enough to hit expectations 6 years after mabool. New Nevermore is good, but I've kinda stopped listening to it... not sure why. Just kinda lost interest. Same deal with the new Burzum.

Still haven't grabbed Hour of 13's new one, keep forgetting every time I'm making a purchase. Put a post-it note on the monitor that I'm sure I'll notice at some point when I don't have any cash to order it (like right now). With Pagan Altar playing some new stuff live I'm hoping we get a release out of them this year. Waiting to be disapointed with both Maiden and Blind Guardian whenever the fuck those come out. Speaking of blind, there's a new Blind Illusion album that just came out... not expecting much from it but I'm gonna pick it up anyway.

Otherwise, I've been listening to a lot of Furthur's 2010 shows. Good shit.

Is the newest Drapsnat better than the first? New Hour of 13 isn't that great, btw; you might want to check it out before you buy it.

LOL at new Nachtmystium and Alcest albums getting great reviews on Pitchfork.
LOL at me probably never listening to aforesaid albums because of ^.

Okay. Caved in and bought the new Alcest (only $6 at iTunes) and it's exactly what I wanted out of the previous album and didn't get. It seems like he's figured out how to compose songs that actually hold a listener's attention. Good stuff.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Lawless Darkness

GAWD this album rips!!! A perfect example of a 2010 metal album that--while not doing anything original--makes up for it by pure quality.

Doomcifer said:
Areknames - In Case Of Loss

Checked out a few tracks from this. It's good, but sounds like it's stuck in early-80s "adult prog" mode. I probably would have loved this back in 2004.

Who in the fuck are Ares Kingdom?

Okay. Caved in and bought the new Alcest (only $6 at iTunes) and it's exactly what I wanted out of the previous album and didn't get. It seems like he's figured out how to compose songs that actually hold a listener's attention. Good stuff.

3 listens in and I've decided that this is in my top 10 of the year so far, maybe even top 5. Holy fucking fuck I did not expect this. Thank goat for internet impulse buys. o_O

Fuck you dicks I'm just going to buy the new Watain. OLD SKOOL BLIND BUYIN' IN FULL EFFECT, Y'ALL.

Okay seriously WTF?! I can't find it for download anywhere, The End and Redstream don't carry it, but fucking Best Buy has it?!

early 80's "adult prog" :lol: ala neo...you're on crack holmes. srsly.

I have always abhorred Alcest but I guess I'll check it out. *shrug*

:lol: Come on dude, those flutey synth sounds! The first thing I thought of was Wall-era Floyd. I'll give it another try, but at the moment I might be incapable of appreciating an album this retro-sounding.

Revisiting "Souvenirs...." and it's pretty dull in comparison to the new one. No melodic hooks whatsoever. Also, the new one has more black metal sections (incl screaming). But it's mostly shoegaze I'd say.

You decided all that in 10 minutes? :lol:

(For the record, the only Agalloch this sounds remotely like is AATG, and that's stretching it)