Best metal CDs of 2005 so far...

<crimson> said:
i've never heard the music from most of the bands mentioned, but what is dark suns like, again? are they unique in any way?..cause if not i won't waste my time.

also never heard primordial, candlemass, kamelot, etc. descriptions.
On the latest Dark Suns album they play brilliant dark prog metal of the non-lame / cheesey variety. It's probably my absolute favourite album so far this year and definitly worth checking out.

@<crimson>

if you search for something unique then you find the right band fith Primordial. they are from Ireland and you can here it in every tune. but not in the cheesy folky way. there are no fiddles and no keyboards there. sorrowful intriguing guitar melodies paired with a skilled charismatic vocalist and non-triggered drums as it should be in this kind of metal. this band is sincere to the bone. no over-saturated image. just plain emotion packed in epic, interesting music. give them a try. their latest output 'The Gathering Wilderness' is a masterpiece. maybe you'll have to give the album some spins. the production is kind of raw (Neurosis-like) and the songs are long, but once you'll get caught they'll never let you go...

haha heres what i want to know...
what CAROLINA PANTHERS jersey is this dude rocking?
its neither julius peppers, kris jenkins or mike rucker...
could be reggie white... for his short stint on the panthers before he retired?
weird jersey to have if it is

Longinus said:
Live CD of Eskilstuna BE concerts by Pain of Salvation.

No idea what Johan Langell is wearing there. Buy the Pain of Salvation CDs and then go to one of their concerts and ask him :p

but what is dark suns like, again? are they unique in any way?..cause if not i won't waste my time.

Their first album was always compared to Opeth. So thats really similar. The second album is totally non opeth but lyrically and vocally (style) like Pain of Salvation. Even a tidbit musically. But its very original and awesome.

new dark suns album is a bit boring.. it's too long, and it's simply typical german album.. and i don't like typical german albums :)

--
someone mentioned frantic bleep.. well, that's one very, very good album. fresh and intersting from start to finish..

and new pantheist - amartia is excellent, too..

and it's simply typical german album

WTF is a typical german album?

Dark Suns is swedish thru and thru

The new Dark Suns has been my favorite this year.

I forgot to mention The Mars Volta! Their disc gets alot of playing time also.

Corrosion of Conformity- In the Arms of God
Black Label Society - Mafia
Dark Tranquility - Character
SYL - Alien

Even though it came out in '04.. Isis's Panopticon is very cool.. and I just got it and am listening to it..

opeth_evan said:
Even though it came out in '04.. Isis's Panopticon is very cool.. and I just got it and am listening to it..
mmm, excellent album :kickass:

i can't be bothered to read over the whole thread, but if nobody's mentioned it "the pale haunt departure" by novembers doom is also pretty cool