Top CD's of 2005 thread

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
I had a very hard time coming up with a list of metal CD's this year. I found it to be a very bland, boring, and uninspired year. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the same old, same old. My list has some titles that are pushing it a bit, and normally wouldn't be here, but given the releases we had to choose from this year, it's the best I could come up with (seeing as I can't really vote for ND.) :loco:

(In alphabetical order)

Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (US release with bonus tracks)
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Green Carnation - The Quiet Offspring
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Nightingale - Invisible
Obituary - Frozen in Time
Ribspreader - Congregating the Sick
Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Usurper - Cryptobeast

(Non-Metal)

Antimatter - Planetary Confinement
Coldplay - X&Y
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Queens of the Stoneage - Lullabies to Paralyze

How can you NOT vote for ND? All modesty aside, Paul Haunt is NO DOUBT one of the top Metal albums of 2005!!! Hell, if the music you work so hard to create is not your favorite, what's the point in making it? If we were able to get our damn CD released in 2005 like we wanted to (looks like they won't ship until January), I probably would have voted for myself...

Anyway, here are my picks for 2005:

Nevermore – This Godless Endeavor
Exodus – Shovel Headed Kill Machine
Biomechanical – The Empires of the Worlds
Kreator – Enemy of God
Novembers Doom – The Pale Haunt Departure
Arch Enemy – Doomsday Machine
Annihilator- Schizo Deluxe
Devildriver – The Fury of Our Maker’s Hand
Soulfly – Dark Ages
Municipal Waste – Hazardous Mutations

not necessarily the best this year, but i enjoyed:
Doomriders - Black Thunder (Danzig-like raw doom rock with heavy vocals & awesome riffs)
The Life and Times - Suburban Hymns (ex-Shiner vocalist w/ Ring, Cicada bassist and Stella Link drummer)
Riddle of Steel - Got This Feelin (cool rock with awesome writing)
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (check indieworkshop.com for link to free Sufjan Stevens Christmas music downloads- they're awesome pop stuff)

metallic stuff i didn't get to hear yet that was supposed to be awesome this year:
Pelican, Jesu, Logh, 31 Knots

I'm rather hard pressed to compile a top 10 metal cd list for 2005. I'd definitely put Usurper, Biomechanical, Bloodbath, Strapping Young Lad on there. But others like Opeth and Nevermore and HIM, whom normally I would think would be automatically in there, probably only make it by default because while I "like" the new albums, I'm not particularly blown away by them as I've been with past cds of theirs. The Green Carnation and Antimatter cds are really good but I've only just started listening to those so recently that it's hard to really decide on where they'd rank. I think 2006 is going to fare much better, which upcoming cds from Katatonia, Trouble, Anathema, Amorphis, Moonspell and Woods Of Ypres coming out.

I spent more time this past year listening to remasters of old stuff like Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Beatles, etc., or pulling out the old school death/thrash/doom from the 80s and early 90s when I've been in a metal mood. Odds are good that all of that is going to be reflective of the new songwriting Im doing *wink*

Oh one last one for sure...the new Candlemass was one of the only metal cds that gave me goosebumps first time I listened to it. That's probably my number 1 cd, or a good contender at least.

Let's see:

Paradise Lost - Paradise Lost
Sentenced - The Funeral Album
Old Man's Child - Vermin
HIM - Dark Light (weak spots and all)
Charon - Songs for the Sinners
Mourning Beloveth - A Murderous Circus
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
ND - The Pale Haunt Departure

'06 will indeed be great, with a new Moonspell DVD/CD, Type O DVD/CD(?), a Sentenced DVD, and the new Amorphis.

Hmm.. I thought this was a good year for music:
METAL:
Candlemass - s/t (Album of the Year!)
Novembers Doom - Pale Haunt
HammerFall - Chapter V
Kreator - Enemy of God
Helloween - Keepers Pt 3 - The Legacy
Edguy - Superheroes EP
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Metalium - Demons of Insanity
Kreator - Enemy of God

(Honorable mentions to Dark Tranquillity, Brainstorm, etc)

NON-METAL:
HIM - Dark Light
Alkaline Trio - Crimson
7 Seconds - Take It On Take It Back Take It Over

The Sentenced album would probably make the list for me too, though I didn't get into it as much as the last one. I haven't heard that Charon cd yet, actually, from what I have heard about it, I'd probably like it.

Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure
Opeth - Ghose Reveries
Swallow The Sun - Ghosts Of Loss
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
Equilibrium - Turis Fratyr
Usurper - Cryptobeast
Candlemass - s/t
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Deathspell Omega - Kenose
1349 - Hellfire
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome

Those are some of my top cd's of the year. There are plenty more, but those are the ones which come to mind at the moment.

Nevermore- This Godless Endeavor
Biomechanical- The Empires of the Worlds
Rhapsody- Symphony of Enchanted Lands 2(I know it came out in 2004, but I bought it this year and have been listening to it non-stop, so it is in my 2005 top cd list.)
Sevendust- Next
Mudvayne- Lost and Found
James LaBrie- Elements of Persuasion
Big and Rich- Horse of a Different Color(came out in 2004 but its on my 2005 top cd list.)
Pagan's Mind- Enigmatic:Calling
Disturbed- Ten Thousand Fists
Communic- Conspiracy in Mind

I gotta be lame and put an audio book in here also- The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
The Sentenced album would probably make the list for me too, though I didn't get into it as much as the last one. I haven't heard that Charon cd yet, actually, from what I have heard about it, I'd probably like it.

I absolutely flipped when I first heard the last Sentenced album, but with the Charon album, I'll be highly surprised if you're not impressed with their release. "Bullet" and "Rain" are my fav. tracks from that album.

not a bad year

swallow the sun-ghosts of loss
mourning beloveth-murderous circus
reclusiam
antimatter-anthesis of light
panthiest-amartia
november's doom-pale haunt
shape of despair-self title
hypocrisy-virus
fall of empyrean--a darkness remembered
arcturus-new one
disembowelment-double cd reissue
king diamond-abigail re release

favorite album of the year mr. vertigo-fear of heights(non metal) they are amazing!!!!

Nevermore – This Godless Endeavor
Novembers Doom – The Pale Haunt Departure
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin
Exodus – Shovel Headed Kill Machine
God Forbid - Constitution of Treason
Arch Enemy – Doomsday Machine
Chimaera - S/T
Devildriver – The Fury of Our Maker’s Hand
Dark Tranquility - Character
As I Lay Dying - Shadows are Security

That was not so easy to do!!!

1.- Swallow the Sun - Ghosts of Loss
2.- Rapture - The Silent Stage
3.- Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure
4.- Mourning Beloveth - A Murderous Circus
5.- Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
6.- The Old Dead Tree - The Perpetual Motion
7.- The Provenance - How Would You Like to Be Spat At?
8.- Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast 2005
9.- Monolithe - II
10.- Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness

I had a hard time picking a top 10 this year. Took me a few weeks to do it, and I didn't get to put in some stuff, mainly cause I either forgot about it, or I just didn't think it was that good.

High on Fire, Usurper, SYL, CoC, and of course, ND all made my list, among others. Stuff that didn't was new Opeth (I've heard it once since it came out...I've forgotten I even owned it), the new Demons and Wizards didn't impress me, nor did Judas Priest. I saw Priest with Anthrax, and while the songs were good live...the album in it's entirety didn't warrant a Top 10. :confused:

Novembers Paul said:
I had a very hard time coming up with a list of metal CD's this year. I found it to be a very bland, boring, and uninspired year. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the same old, same old. My list has some titles that are pushing it a bit, and normally wouldn't be here, but given the releases we had to choose from this year, it's the best I could come up with (seeing as I can't really vote for ND.) :loco:

(In alphabetical order)

Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (US release with bonus tracks)
Nightingale - Invisible
Obituary - Frozen in Time
Ribspreader - Congregating the Sick
Usurper - Cryptobeast

(Non-Metal)

Antimatter - Planetary Confinement
Coldplay - X&Y
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing