Year End Top Ten

ElectricWiz said:
The whole Fillmore run from 69. If you are not a fan, the 3 CD is a good place to start. If you are a fan, it's definately something you'll want.

Funny, as you say, that so many metalheads are dead fans. I think it's because of a lot of reasons. I mean, they are like candy for a metalhead (in a good way). A HUGE catalogue, and interesting and complex arrangments. You can spend years just educating yourself on their different eras. I'm not even sure what got me into them, Terrapin Station maybe, but I've never looked back. A huge musical obssession of mine.

I have about 30 official releases and maybe 20 or so bootlegs.

So I guess I'm a reasonably big "fan." But I'm not a freak like some folks I know. I know a guy with about 900 boots and ALL of the official releases, for instance.

I'll probably get it.

1969 is my favorite year for the Grateful Dead.

Electronicoil said:
I have about 30 official releases and maybe 20 or so bootlegs.

So I guess I'm a reasonably big "fan." But I'm not a freak like some folks I know. I know a guy with about 900 boots and ALL of the official releases, for instance.

I'll probably get it.

1969 is my favorite year for the Grateful Dead.

My collection is about like yours. Right now 1969 is my favorite dead year, but it varies to be sure. That stated, yeah, as a fan, you should really have this. Let me know how it goes. In a pinch it will be my pleasure to just burn and send, at least you can listen that way (if not own). Seriously, no big deal.

I have 34 album so far in the list, and I'm waiting for 7 more. The shuffling in positions 8 and below it's not big deal, but I'm having trouble with positions 2-7 and I keep shuffling them.

24 more days and I hope to finally make up my mind :D

NP: Kurgan's Bane - 'Headless Mice'

ElectricWiz said:
My collection is about like yours. Right now 1969 is my favorite dead year, but it varies to be sure. That stated, yeah, as a fan, you should really have this. Let me know how it goes. In a pinch it will be my pleasure to just burn and send, at least you can listen that way (if not own). Seriously, no big deal.

Well, thanks. I normally don't ask, but given the rarity of this, I'm a little tempted.

SoundMaster said:
1. Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
Why this man is not a house-hold name is beyond me. With the release of this 2005 masterpiece, he's well on his way to achieving the success and recognition that he deserves (in a just world, anyway). This record has it all: it's a smorgasbord of ideas, colors, feelings and art. This record is unbelievably varied - it has it all! From balls-on metal, to 70s retro rock, to funkified groove! And the vocals are to die for. This record trounces the "Fused" collaboration with Iommi. And that's no easy task being that "Fused" is a burner in it's own right!

Soul Mover also kicked ass...
I have to pick up the live cd and dvd from this tour....

sixxswine said:
Soul Mover also kicked ass...
I have to pick up the live cd and dvd from this tour....

He's released a CD/DVD combo from the previous tour (promoting the 2003 album, 'Songs in the Key Of Rock'). The set is entitled 'Soulfully Live in the City of Angels'. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's recorded in LA, in a very intimate setting that's similar to the old location that MTV's Unplugged was filmed at (or, at least, that's how small this club is).

The performance is perfect, with most stages of Glenn's career being covered. There are songs from his pre-Purple days with Trapeze, there's "Mistreated" from Purple, there's a tune from his early 80s venture with Pat Thrall, and there are, of course, a handful of his solo tracks. Sadly, nothing from his Iommi collaborations is played (although he often plays Seventh Star
s "No Stranger to Love" live).

Highly recommended!

Not sure about a top ten, but I know Opeth's Ghost Reveries will top my list for this year.Top five will probably include Nevermore, Dream Theater and Pagan's Mind.:headbang:

ten im not sure but here goes in no order:
biohazard-means to an end
agnostic front-another voice
municipal waste-hazardous mutation
madball-legacy
obituary-frozen in time
anthrax-alive 2
i would imagine re-releases and classics dont count so i gotta stop here.

well don't think any surprises are going to come out anytime soon so here goes:

Kamelot- The Black Halo
Nevermore- TGE
Symphorce- Godspeed
Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny of souls
Brainstorm- Liquid Monster
Russell Allen- Atomic soul
Masterplan- Aeronautics
Communic- Conspiricy in Mind
Icarus Witch- Capture the Magic
Circus Maximus- 1st Chapter

Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling
Icarus Witch - Capture The Magic
Pantommind - Shade of Faith
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny of souls
Exodus - Shovel Headed Killing Machine
Nevermore - TGE
Lalu - Oniric Metal
Biomechanical - the empires of the worlds
Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Well I guess I can finally post mine (with possibilities of a final shuffle before Dec 31 midnight):

1. Sabaton – “Primo Victoria”
2. Bruce Dickinson – “Tyranny Of Souls”
3. Masterplan – “Aeronautics”
4. Rata Blanca – “La Llave De La Puerta Secreta”
5. Alice Cooper – “Dirty Diamonds”
6. Candlemass – “Candlemass”
7. Demons & Wizards – “Touched By The Crimson King”
8. Iommi/Hughes – “ Fused”
9. Hammerfall – “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”
10. Dream Theater – “Octavarium”

I have more but a top ten is a top ten :D

NP: Holocaust - 'Mavrock'

1. Opeth- "Ghost Reveries"
2. Paradise Lost- "Paradise Lost"
3. Nevermore- "This Godless Endeavor"
4. Iommi- "Fused"
5. Kamelot- "The Black Halo"
6. Rusell Allen- "Atomic Soul"
7. Bruce Dickinson- "A Tyranny Of Souls"
8. Allen/Lande- "The Battle"
9. Lydian Sea- "Architect Of Humanity"
10. Circle 2 Circle- "The Middle Of Nowhere"

01) Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars
02) Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
03) Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling
04) Kamelot - The Black Halo
05) Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
06) Icarus Witch - Capture The Magic
07) Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
08) Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
09) Sabaton - Primo Victoria
10) Biomechanical - The Empires Of The Worlds

2005 has been a great metal year for me. Seeing Nevermore twice and going to KIT with carnut ans meeting Flo there are some of the highlights. I really do believe that if more regulars of UMOS had heard this years Pagan's Mind album we would have seen it in more lists.

I was very happy with the comeback of Sieges Even and the very strong debut albums from Communic and Icarus Witch. I am looking forward to the next album from those bands. I believe Communic is in the studio at this very moment! I was also very happy about the new Exodus vocalist! "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" absolutely slays! And is for me their best album since "Bonded By Blood".

Kamelot is progressing with every new release. We saw them in De Boerderij in Zoetermeer. But that place turned out to be too small for Kamelot. We hardly could see the band as we were crammed together in that place. I hope to see them in Antwerp in the beginning of February.

It was noticeable that metal is on the rise in the US. Some US band had chosen to tour there. Because of that we in Europe missed out on seeing Symphony X. Thats OK thought, I'd love to see this band become more successful.

Its been a great year in metal and on UMOS. But thats a story for an other subject. :)

Hawk said:
I really do believe that if more regulars of UMOS had heard this years Pagan's Mind album we would have seen it in more lists.
I actually picked this up a week ago and it's looking like a lock for my top-10 list. My problem is I bought too much prog metal this year. If I include all the albums that deserve to be listed (Symphorce, Beyond Twilight, Pagan's Mind, Masterplan, Shadow Gallery, Communic, Circus Maximus) I won't have any room for some killer old school releases like Sabaton, Icarus Witch, Russell Allen, Falconer, Iommi/Hughes and Astral Doors. It doesn't help that the goth/symphonic end of metal put out some real winner's this year (Stream of Passion, Leave's Eyes, Lana Lane, Epica) that also need inclusion.

I have no idea how I'm going to cut it down to 10. :erk:

Circus Maximus - First Chapter

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars
Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Disturbed - 10,000 Fists
Symphorce - Godspeed
Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design
Vision Divine - The Perfect Machine
Brainstorm - Liquid Monster
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

War Machine, Heed, and Icarus Witch are some new-to-me bands that are making their way to the top of my playlist.

Hawk said:
01) Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
02) Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars

Easily my top two of the year.

Hawk said:
I really do believe that if more regulars of UMOS had heard this years Pagan's Mind album we would have seen it in more lists.

I tried it but just could not get into it. I'll spin it some more but I liked Celestial Entrance much better.

Hawk said:
I would not mind seeing your top 50 of 2005. :) :headbang:
50? Geez, I wish I had 50 albums from 2005. Alas, lack of money means I've only acquired about 28 albums, so I'd be limited to top-20. Still, it's not fair because there are so many releases that I just couldn't get in time: Pantommind, Presto Ballet, Redemption, Sieges Even, Deep Purple, Arena, Allen/Lande.

I sure miss being able to download and make up for the albums I can't afford. :Spin: