Year End Top Ten

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
We did this once, but now the year is really closing, and my list changed....so....
Not just metal, my top 10 overall.

1. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Everything that's good about metal, and my hands down fave of the year. Nevermore's finest moment thus far. I think time will prove this album to be one of my top 5 metal records, seriously. Brutal, lots of hooks, melodic, and it ends with the line, "Welcome to the end my friend, the sky has opened." You don't get more metal than that. A big, apocalyptic epic.

2. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Tight, weird, bold, furious. Entrancing. Nobody else like 'em.

3. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Killer as usual. Most realized to date? Probably. A mix of everything they've done before, but more. They are competing with themselves at this point. A whole other thing than music, metal, whatever. Art. Not sure what it means, but the first Opeth release in a few years to NOT be my #1 pick.

4. Sigur Ros - Takk...
They are from Iceland, and sound like they are from Iceland. Beautiful.

5. Deep Purple - Rapture of the Deep
So far up on my list because Ian Gillan doesn't sound like he's 60 (but is), and generally speaking, old geezers shouldn't make records this good, but did.

6. Slough Feg - Atavism
Pure Old-School.

7. The Grateful Dead - Fillmore West Complete Recordings (1969) - 10 CD box
A favorite of mine at the top of their game.

8. Dead Can Dance - Live in Seattle/Live in Dublin
Soundboard goodness from reunion tour. Awesome.

9. Queens of the Stoneage - Lullabies to Paralyze
Weird and dark. Loud and fun.

10. Robert Plant and Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger
The Golden God settles into old age with atmosphere, style, and - surprise - humility.

Honorable Mention
The Mars Volta - Scabdates (live)
NIN - With Teeth
Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls
...and the tons of releases I'm forgetting.

Favorite Shows of the year: (tie between first three for best)
Dead Can Dance
The Mars Volta
Sigur Ros
Nine Inch Nails/Queens of the Stoneage

Pivotal Rage is having the staff compile their 10 picks of 2005 with three honerable mentions.... here's mine...

1.)Symphorce-GODSpeed-Who would have thought? This one came out of nowhere!
2.)Demons and Wizards-Touched by the Crimson King-A better effort than the debut, I love anything Jon Schaffer though…
3.)Vivian Campbell-Two Sides of If-See my review of this on the webzine. I would have never guessed Viv had this kind of record in him.
4.)Shooter Jennings-Let’s Out the O Back in Country-Don’t laugh, this probably rocks more than anything that is considered “rock.” Plus any ‘neck that samples “Sweet Leaf,” is alright….
5.)Billy Idol-Devil’s Playground-He’s at the top of his game, this one will make you forgive him for all the lackluster efforts….
6.)Iommi/Hughes-Fused-If you’re not a believer, listen to this record, soulful vocals, crushing guitars!
7.)Arch Enemy-Doomsday Machine-The Queen of Death Metal and her crew return with the most melodic death metal I have ever heard! This one opened the doors for more people to “listen” to what they are about.
8.)Soilwork-Stabbing the Drama-Great melodic metal effort! These guys keep progressing, without losing their edge, like their mates In Flames did….
9.)Buddy Guy-Bring ‘Em In-Great contemporary blues record, this “guy” smokes people ¾’s of his age!
10.) Nevermore-This Godless Endeavor-My Northwest heroes returned this year with a better effort than last and a pummeling live set at Gigantour!

Honerable Mentions:
Disturbed-10,000 Fists-They were a victim of too many solid efforts…If you don’t have this record, you should really grab a copy.
The Darkness-One Way Ticket to Hell…And Back-This record would have ranked in the top 5 if it had been released 3-4 months ago… It’s a fantastic record, will grow on me more and more as the months go by.
Edguy-Superheroes E.P. We needed a full release though guys...

sixxswine said:
You really think there will be that many quality records in the next three weeks?!:loco:
Let's hope :D
But it's like putting up your christmas tree in November, fun but too early !!

Soilwork Stabbing THe Drama
BRAINSTORM Liquid Monster( probably my fav of the year)
Symphorce Godspeed
Annihilator Schizo Deluxe
Municipal Waste Hazardous Mutation
Hypocrisy Virus
1349 Hellfire
Exodus Shovel Headed Kill Machine
Dungeon One Step Beyond
Nevermore This Godless Endeavor

well, you all know me...i cant give numbers to music, but here are my favorites of the year in no order

Demons And Wizards- Touched By The Crimson King

Bruce Dickinson- Tyranny Of Souls

Brainstorm- Liquid Monster

Symphorce- Godspeed

Nevermore- The Godless Endeavor

Hammerfall- Chapter V

Falconer- Grime vs. Grandeur

Kamelot- Black Halo

Judas Priest- Angel Of Retribution

Opeth- Ghost Reveries

In order:

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Avenged Sevefold - City of Evil
Behemoth - Demigod (US)
Kreator - Enemy of God
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Marc Rizzo - Colossal Myopia
Enslaved - Isa (US)
Nile - Annihilation of The Wicked
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls

carnut said:
Too early, still a month to go..

Same here, I'm waiting for some 2005 albums, if they make it before December 31 I'll have to reshuffle some. So I'll wait for my list :Spin:

Hmm my top 10 hasn't changed much since last time we did a similar thread :

Kreator - Enemy of God
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Primordial - Gathering the Wilderness
Biomechanical - The Empires of the Worlds
Iommi/Hugues - Fused
Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Kamelot - Black Halo
Candlemass - Candlemass
Beyond Twilight - Section X
Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution

Close follow ups : Communic, Destruction, Symphorce, Primal Fear, Starbreaker, Masterplan, Nocturnal Rites, Leaves Eyes, Bruce Dickinson, Shaaman, Force of Evil.

sweet, sweet, sweeeeeeeeeeeeet to see SYMPHORCE in several lists!!! And Sixx :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: #1 very nice!

Still working on my list...it will undoubtebly look very similiar to a lot of others! This just means we all have excellent taste in music:D

I agree it's still too early to tell. Not that I'm expecting any new ground-breaking new releases between now and the 31st. But I'm still trying to grab more 2005 releases so I can make an informed decision. I wish I could afford to buy them all! Alas, I'm not made of money.

Also, I think the official "best of year" lists should be compiled in January or February of the following year. I need time to digest an album, personally. I need to own it for 2-3 months to know where it's going to stack up on my "frequent listens" list. The stickiness of an album is what I most heavily gauge an album on. My top-10 list may not reflect the best 10 albums of 2005, but when I get it done it will tell you the 10 albums I LISTENED TO THE MOST. I am working on that list but I'm going to have to dump some really good albums already.

I have 18 candidates so far (not exactly in order):

Kamelot
Stream of Passion
Beyond Twilight
Astral Doors
Falconer
Russell Allen
Leaves' Eyes
Shadow Gallery
Communic
Lana Lane
Sabaton
Iommi/Hughes
Epica
Icarus Witch
Deadsoul Tribe
Opeth
Symphorce
Nevermore

I really hope to buy a few more to review, like Sieges Even, Mars Volta, Allen/Lande, Pagan's Mind, Porcupine Tree, Riverside and many more. But again, I'm not made of money. I might be if you all bought my books. :D

kittybeast said:
sweet, sweet, sweeeeeeeeeeeeet to see SYMPHORCE in several lists!!! And Sixx :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: #1 very nice!

Still working on my list...it will undoubtebly look very similiar to a lot of others! This just means we all have excellent taste in music:D

I gave it the number one slot as it was the most surpising record! I wouldn't have thought it was gonna be as excellent as it is...

1. Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover
Why this man is not a house-hold name is beyond me. With the release of this 2005 masterpiece, he's well on his way to achieving the success and recognition that he deserves (in a just world, anyway). This record has it all: it's a smorgasbord of ideas, colors, feelings and art. This record is unbelievably varied - it has it all! From balls-on metal, to 70s retro rock, to funkified groove! And the vocals are to die for. This record trounces the "Fused" collaboration with Iommi. And that's no easy task being that "Fused" is a burner in it's own right!

2. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
This opus is a mixture of all of the elements that make Opeth masters of the metal genre. It has hints of each of their past records yet it offers something new, something unique unto itself. Mikael's vocals continue to astound in their utter beauty and in their bestial dominance. As I see it, Opeth has assumed the throne left vacant since Led Zeppelin's 1980 demise. Godly.

3. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Another band whose name should be uttered by every metal and rock fan alive, PTree continues their ever-evolving journey into the realm of pure art. This band does more than simply 'create music'. They're beyond that. And their continued trek into the world of metal offers a refreshing, new look at 'the heavy'. Deadwing offers a dynamic sense of 'light and shade', of subtlety and rage, of sturm und strang. A masterwork. "Arriving Somewhere Not Here" is the song of the year, IMO.

4. Arena - Pepper's Ghost
Easily the best prog band out there today, to my ears. The band's sense of melody is tremendous. Their melodies rival those of Arjen Luccassen...or, dare I say, Lennon/McCartney. Seriously. And the Gilmour-esque guitar solos are the icing on the cake. From start to finish, we're offered a panoply of gorgeous, captivating melodies.....great stuff.

5. Iommi/Hughes - Fused
For years, many considered Ozzy to be 'the godfather of metal'. But that's horsesh*t. Even before he sold out to Sharon! Tony Iommi is it's true father, without question. And this release perfectly illustrates why. It features the patented Iommi riff - heavy, sludgy, kick-you-in-the balls power - coupled with the power of Glenn Hughes' vocal delivery (a demigod in his own right). At once, this record is heavy, groove-laden, energetic and thought-provoking. Iommi still has it. Hughes still has it. I hope they continue to write and record together. If this continues, I wouldn't care whether, or not, the original Sabbath ever released a new record.

6. Spock's Beard - Octane
Progressive rock icons who, upon Neal Morse's departure, have taken a decidedly metallic turn and are rocking heavier than ever! As I see it, Octane is their best offering yet, with it's relatively short, yet full of twist-and-turn songs. The music is entirely progressive yet totally accessible simultaneously....a fete rarely accomplished in the prog-world. Fans of bands ranging from Porcupine Tree, to Dream Theater, to Pink Floyd, even to Coldplay should all dig this. of course, Beard sound like none of the aforementioned bands.

7. Candlemass - Candlemass
In recent years, we've seen the reunion of some of metal's giants (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Anthrax). And, thankfully, we can add the immortal Candlemass to the list! Picking up right where they left off in the early 90s, Candlemass sees the band delivering a healthy dose of doom unrivaled by their many followers (My Dying Bride excluded). Messiah's voice still owns us all.

8. Presto Ballet
Metal Church's Kurt Vanderhoof's 70's inspired prog-band delivers the goods on this, their debut. Recorded entirely in analog, the album truly harkens back to the great decade of the 70s when the lines between rock, prog, metal, and...well everything, were blurred (until disco came along!). The album's songwriting is the key, however, with Vanderhoof's keen sense of melody dominating. Metal Church should have been much bigger than they were. Let's hope Kurt (finally) realizes the success that's due him with this new project. Fans of any metal genre should dig this.

9. Dream Theatre - Octavarium
Ok, for years I bashed DT. They had everything going for them, should have ascended to the top of the metal heap, but never did. Why? Their apparent inability to compose songs. But that's changed with Octavarium. The annoying vocals have been toned down, the wankery is minimal, and "the idea of the song" - the cream of music - has risen to the top. This is simply a great record. Never in my life would I have predicted a DT record could crack my Top 10! Well it's finally happened. Has the sky fallen?

10. Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm
Arjen Luccassen is one of those musicians who's so talented, that you tend to follow him down any path he takes. Literally everything he touches is musical gold. This new project - his first real band in over a decade - is a multinational group with buckets of talent and stunning musicianship. Marcela's vocals are awesome, as well. This isn't 'goth metal', nor is it similar to Ayreon. It's really something new unto itself. But great songs are great songs...

the next best records:
Nevermore - Godless Endeavor (barely missed the top 10)
Kamelot - Black Halo (the song Black Halo was probably the 2nd best track released this year!)
Bruce - Tyranny

records that I've only recently purchased and are too soon to review:
Riverside (just got it, sounds very promising)
Communic
Circus Maximus

records that I've yet to purchase:
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Deep Purple - Rapture
Robert Plant - Rearranger
Stones - Bigger Bang
Exodus - Kill Machine

ElectricWiz said:
7. The Grateful Dead - Fillmore West Complete Recordings (1969) - 10 CD box
A favorite of mine at the top of their game.

It's funny how many metalheads I find who are also into the Dead.

How is this? I didn't know it was out so your mention had me surfing around last night. I found out the 10 CD box is already sold out and out of print but the 3 CD "best of" version is easy to find.

So how is it? Should I hold out and try to get a 10 CD version off eBay or something or do you think 3 CDs of these sets would do?

Electronicoil said:
It's funny how many metalheads I find who are also into the Dead.

How is this? I didn't know it was out so your mention had me surfing around last night. I found out the 10 CD box is already sold out and out of print but the 3 CD "best of" version is easy to find.

So how is it? Should I hold out and try to get a 10 CD version off eBay or something or do you think 3 CDs of these sets would do?

Actually, I think the 3 disc set is a pretty good representation. Anyway, the boxset is going for unreal amounts on Ebay, so unless you're a rich diehard....don't bother. Well, the first few went for unreal prices, and then a bunch of folks jumped at selling theirs thinking they'd get the same and the price went down. It's still too high though - a few hundred dollars. It was limited to 10,000. I pre-ordered mine this summer, so that's how I got one. Speaking for myself, it's the best official Dead release I own. The whole Fillmore run from 69. If you are not a fan, the 3 CD is a good place to start. If you are a fan, it's definately something you'll want.

Funny, as you say, that so many metalheads are dead fans. I think it's because of a lot of reasons. I mean, they are like candy for a metalhead (in a good way). A HUGE catalogue, and interesting and complex arrangments. You can spend years just educating yourself on their different eras. I'm not even sure what got me into them, Terrapin Station maybe, but I've never looked back. A huge musical obssession of mine.

Dodens Grav said:
Is that Re Arranger or Rear Ranger? :p

First, Ouch!

Second, Pentegram is the shyte, as the kids say. Bobby Liebling is one of the strangest, oddest looking, ghostliest, eeriest, campiest, figures in metal. He's also a favorite of mine. Nice Avatar.