Best Metal Scene in Aus

Which City has the Best Metal Scene in Australia?

• Melbourne

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Canberra

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Adeliade

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Perth

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Clarky

Youth Attack!
May 19, 2002
Melbourne
Cast your vote for who has the best metal scene in australia
personally i reckon its close between melbourne and canberra, not being biast but i reckon melbourne just gets the crown
what do you all think

yeah adeliade has some sick bands
jesus anal penetration
oni
omnium gatherum
deaths boundaries

etc..

Definately not Canberra , the only good bands in my opinion are Pyschrist , Alchemist (have not played for 14months or so) , LOG and Pod People . Blood duster does not come here anymore even though one of the guitarists lives here .

I went to the Bucketfull of Eyeballs gig at Sydney Uni on Saturday and it was a great gig , good contrast of bands , good atmosphere , good venue . I have not enjoyed myself like I did at that gig in a long time .

We have one venue and a lot of people won't go there , as the place is filthy , the beer is warm and its hard to breath in there.

So no , besides Metal for the Brain ? , the Canberra scene would be at the bottom of that list .

Perth and Adelaide have great scenes, very under-rated. Adelaide has Omnium Gatherum, Captain Cleanoff, Oni, One Step Beyond, Slaughter Thou, Fury, Jesus Anal Penetration, Raven Black Night, Chalice, Martire, Virgin Black and a whole bunch of others I can't remember now. Perth has Black Steel, Scourge, Ravens'head, Pathogen, Enforce, Maximum Perversion, Centaur, Impact Winter, Modus Vivendi, Voyager, KIN and, again, a bunch of bands I can't think of right now.

I'm probably totally biased but I still have to say Sydney... I mean we've got Dungeon and Infernal Method damnit! :lol:

And there's a slew of great new bands coming through now, a couple of new venues playing metal regularly.... and of course promoters who are actually getting out there and giving it a go! You rock Alex! :lol:

:headbang:

Originally posted by entersix
Hey Uncle!

Sakkuth gig on Sat at RockApe was awesome. Way over 100 payers and they were all waiting for them till 2AM

thats good to hear entersix , things do seem to be picking up and there seems to be a new metal crowd developing . I'm just a jaded old cunt , I've been going to Canberra metal gigs since the late 80's and can remember when the scene was huge and the bands were of really good original quality .
Sakkuth seem to be getting a bit of following down here , I went to their last gig here with Daysend and it was well attended.

Originally posted by Unklekronoz
Sakkuth seem to be getting a bit of following down here

And after seeing them play at the Bat and Ball I'm not surprised! I'm just pissed I didn't buy any of their cd on the night! Although they did go home with one of ours, but that was a freeby anyway! :lol:

Originally posted by Apolyom-Todd
I'm probably totally biased but I still have to say Sydney... I mean we've got Dungeon and Infernal Method damnit! :lol:

Yeah, Todd, but both Dungeon and Infernal prefer playing in Canberra.
I's mean, Dungeon gets the biggest crowd reactions and profit margins here in Canberra.
Canberra is the best scene for metal in Australia, despite what Uncle says, 'cause we're so hard up for it. It's a pity that it takes certain bands to motivate most Canberra metalhead, but once we're motivated, whach the fuck out.
And Uncle: you should come out to the RockApe sometime. I's think you'll be most impressed by the new attitude in the Canberra scene and some of the amazing up and coming bands.
Peace
The Pimp NeonBlack

Poor Brisvegas. No votes. I live here and I didn't even vote for it. :lol: But we really do have some brutal bands.

MISERY
SAKKUTH
ASTRIAAL
URGRUND
TRANSFEAR
HOLLOW
GODNOSE
EXCRUCIATE
PORTAL
CARBON
POST LIFE DISORDER

To name a few.

Well, it *is* true we love to play Canberra... but then we also love playing in Melbourne and Sydney too!

I think the only reason I can't list Bris/Adel/regional areas in that is 'cos we either haven't played there enough yet or there just isn't the numbers to make it that viable to keep playing there on a regular basis.

FWIW, I actually picked Melbourne, mainly 'cos we get our biggest crowds there, not necessarily 'cos of how into it the crowds are. The scene just seems healthier down there overall, IMO.

It was a toss up between Melbourne and Sydney for me. I chose Sydney because of what I was listening to lately are Sydney bands. But there pretty much on pare scene wise I think. My own band are is so keen to get down south this year. We're hoping sometime after Easter. There's just more to do down there. There's only so much you can do up here in Queensland if your a metal band in my opinion.

Melbourne's got a great scene. People I know who've played up in Sydney (for example) say that the Melbourne scene's much better. I hear that loads of old band venues have been filled with pokies these days in Sydney. I wouldn't know though!