Best Non Metal Release of 2013

Heritage is great for people who haven't delved too much into 60s/70s prog. For those who has, it's not really a very spectacular album. It's pretty good though.

I wouldn't say that. Sure it's got that whole old-school prog-thing going on, but the Opeth vibe is still there too and you don't get that with bands from the sixties and seventies.

Do you like Coal, Ken?
Yes. A lot.

Heritage is awesome, and after the sublime Storm Corrosion I'm genuinely excited to hear what Åkerfeldt comes up with for the next Opeth album. The dude couldn't be further from a has-been in my book.
Oh no way is he a has-been. He's just changed the direction of the band so much that it could be a different band now. Understandable since so many members are gone.

Akerfeldt will never be a has been. Genius.
Same with Steven Wilson.
Both have put out TONS of amazing stuff, and they're always relevant and trying new things.
I honestly think Leprous is going to keep putting out great material, too. They seem to know where prog is going, and I don't see them as scared of trying something new.
SW is gray area for me. Tries too hard to be proggy. But, but, but: he often succeeds anyway. So yeah, he's a genius, and I usually love his output. Not always.
Leprous isn't really a prog band. They're progressive, and that's much better. Agreed that they are of the future.
Heritage is great for people who haven't delved too much into 60s/70s prog. For those who has, it's not really a very spectacular album. It's pretty good though.
Too true.
Oh, and Ulver is streaming their new album
http://ulver.bandcamp.com/album/messe-i-x-vi-x
I fucking love Ulver. HERE is a band that can truly do no wrong.

I have not agreed with everything SW has done either... but he has literally put out numerous hours of material I absolutely adore.
Basically all of PT's albums, I love; especially the last 4. The Incident being their potential last album ever is one of my favorites.
No-Man has so many great songs, and some albums I love from front to back.
I'm not a huge fan of his solo career (Raven is pretty good), or Storm Corrosion (though I have to give it another listen).
The 3 Opeth albums he worked on are golden.
Anathema's We're Here is one of my favorites, too, and the production is somewhat responsible.
Blackfield albums are solid.

Am I the only one who thought Circus Maximus - Nine was a solid album? I just really, really like it.
To-Mera - Exile was also pretty great.
These are more standard prog fare, but done well.

Dark Sun's Orange is very authentic sounding, and I feel you guys should check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldT9oTKSEGU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I fucking love Ulver. HERE is a band that can truly do no wrong.

There's something about Norwegian bands re-inventing themselves that leads to amazing music. Some of my absolute top favorite albums are Norwegian bands following this sort of evolution. Start out playing black metal, or something heavy, then change their sounds entirely (without changing the actual band, mind you) to create masterpieces:

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
Lumsk - Det Vilde Kor
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

On the other hand, there are also amazing Norwegian bands that have played the same stuff the entire time. Immortal, A-ha (laugh all you want it's the best synth-pop you haven't heard outside their 80s hits ;)) and Mayhem, for instance. Skål to Norway!

I don't think I've listened anything to Circus Maximus - Nine... I like their 8-10 minute songs. Does it have any of those? :D

By the way, Ken, did you give Vallendusk a spin? (EDIT: oops, wrong thread)

I don't think I've listened anything to Circus Maximus - Nine... I like their 8-10 minute songs. Does it have any of those? :D

No real epics. I just find it to be one Hell of an enjoyable traditional prog-metal album.
Production is mint. There's only one section on the entire album that goes the Dream Theater way, but it's short. Tons of polish and attention to detail. Great variety, and overall very smooth and fluent. Some riffs are just magical.

Dark Sun's Orange is very authentic sounding, and I feel you guys should check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldT9oTKSEGU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh, and Ulver is streaming their new album
http://ulver.bandcamp.com/album/messe-i-x-vi-x

Listened to a couple of tracks from both albums and they all sounded quite good. Ulver's a band I've been aware of for a long time now but one I never really gave a whirl. Maybe that should change now.

The Gathering, with a new vocalist since their last album Disclosure, is releasing a new album. I'm pretty pumped. Disclosure was awesome and I think they're better with the new vocalist, even if Anneke is very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who thought Circus Maximus - Nine was a solid album? I just really, really like it.
To-Mera - Exile was also pretty great.

I'm with you on Circus Maximus. I liked it a lot, but I can understand why it wasn't received very well by fans of the band. It's definitely not "The 2nd Chapter" or "Isolate Again" but a new direction for the band; it's a little more straightforward and much more mature and honest imo. I especially loved the part around 6:30 in the last song... it's just perfect. Very memorable.

Can't say I liked To-Mera's Exile very much, it really didn't leave any impression on me like Transcendental and Delusions did.

The Gathering, with a new vocalist since their last album Disclosure, is releasing a new album. I'm pretty pumped. Disclosure was awesome and I think they're better with the new vocalist, even if Anneke is very good.

Disclosure is one of my favourite albums of all time. They replaced the vocalist again?
Damn... the girl on Disclosure is phenomenal.

^ The Decent and the last track are really great (going from memory). I haven't heard in a while, but I do remember liking the album as a whole. To-Mera are one of few that can pull off the overly complex style, but remain enjoyable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on Circus Maximus. I liked it a lot, but I can understand why it wasn't received very well by fans of the band. It's definitely not "The 2nd Chapter" or "Isolate Again" but a new direction for the band; it's a little more straightforward and much more mature and honest imo. I especially loved the part around 6:30 in the last song... it's just perfect. Very memorable.

Can't say I liked To-Mera's Exile very much, it really didn't leave any impression on me like Transcendental and Delusions did.

Well the problem is

Circus Maximus sounds like a second tier band, because they are a second tier band

Their records are ones that you buy as an afterthought, not ones that you wait for

Well the problem is

Circus Maximus sounds like a second tier band, because they are a second tier band

Their records are ones that you buy as an afterthought, not ones that you wait for

After Nine, I AM anxiously awaiting their next release.
There is nothing second tier about that album, or the members' abilities. Great voice, too.

I never really liked The Gathering, and Circus Maximus was definitely one of those "oh yeah, them too" bands. Nine is really fucking catchy though. A move in the right direction.

Disclosure is one of my favourite albums of all time. They replaced the vocalist again?
Damn... the girl on Disclosure is phenomenal.

^ The Decent and the last track are really great (going from memory). I haven't heard in a while, but I do remember liking the album as a whole. To-Mera are one of few that can pull off the overly complex style, but remain enjoyable to me.

No, sorry, I meant to say she is still in the band. But she's "new" in that she replaced Anneke for Disclosure :)

It is a great album for sure. She's a fantastic vocalist.

Good. I am glad to hear she's still in.

Ken, have you listened to Disclosure? It's the only album of theirs I know, but I find it to be brilliant. Melodies are beautiful...passages take you away... tons of atmosphere and dynamics... production is top notch... and her voice... damn.

I mentioned Tune's Lucid Moments a while back. Strange but fantastic debut. I can't wait for their next effort.
The accordion adds a whole new angle, and it's used perfectly.
I wish some of the dialogue parts were trimmed, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSis81kTiI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Accordion use is just brilliant. Gives me chills.

Ken, have you listened to Disclosure? It's the only album of theirs I know, but I find it to be brilliant. Melodies are beautiful...passages take you away... tons of atmosphere and dynamics... production is top notch... and her voice... damn.

Admittedly no. After so many recommendations by so many people, I've given them 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th chances with various albums. Eventually I just gave up and ignored their output. Maybe time for a 5th chance?