Best Emperor album?

BikerMiceFromMars said:
You misunderstood me. Emperor are one of those bands that even people who arent into black metal enjoy, and usually those are their later albums. i'm saying that for their massive popularity, they are overrated.

Because their later albums aren't even black metal, lyrically or musically?

Interesting, not a single person reccommended Prometheus as first choice... it's weird I've been noticing the majority of online metal review sites say Prometheus is the best, a groundbreaking masterpiece, etc... yet the "internet reviewers" (you guys for example) say either In the Darkside eclipse or Anthems... weird... I suppose I should just get Anthems and Prometheus.

NIGHTside, not dark side hehe

and yeah, that sounds like a good plan. cuz you get somthing different with both albums
~gR~

Gotta love the contraversy that follows an Emperor thread. Half the people love emperor for their fantastic music, the rest of the people seem to knit pick at them for things that don't have any real relevence. Overrated, not black metal, not "true" enough, who knows.

For the love of all that is metal, just give credit where credit is due.
\m/ EMPEROR \m/

any album you buy will most assuredly kick your ass.

WNxScythe said:
Interesting, not a single person reccommended Prometheus as first choice... it's weird I've been noticing the majority of online metal review sites say Prometheus is the best, a groundbreaking masterpiece, etc... yet the "internet reviewers" (you guys for example) say either In the Darkside eclipse or Anthems... weird... I suppose I should just get Anthems and Prometheus.

The mainstream consensus is generally:
1. Anthems
2. Prometheus

The black metallers' stance tends to be:
1. Pre-Nightside material
2. Nightside

Erik said:
Dude. PROMETHEUS SUCKS. "Anthems" is OK at times, but Prometheus is UTTERLY FUCKING HORRIBLE. At least download some songs from it before you buy.

How can any reasonable person that has an understanding of good music listen to "The Eruption" and say that it's "utterly fucking horrible". The musicmanship I think is fucking stellar.

Erik said:
I don't care about the level of musicianship. The songs are pointless, emotionless, worthless wankery.
just because you dont get it, doesnt mean it sucks. its hardly emotionless. but realize somthing. emotion is relative.
~gR~

Enough arguing. Just go get In the Nightside Eclipse RIGHT FUCKING NOW! From there download tracks from their other albums and see what you think. Stay away from the Wrath of the Tyrant and Emperor demos until you're truly a fan otherwise you may end up being turned off to Emperor. The demos, regardless of having much of the same music found on "Nightside", contain pointlessly "necro" production that can't even hold a candle to the atmosphere found on "Nightside."

Erik said:
Speak for yourself :erk: (knowing that you don't like Nightside for some inexplicable reason)

I'd imagine most would put them in the reverse order.

Depends where you look, I guess. Nightside is better-known, of course, so perhaps you're right.

The "Wrath of the Tyrant" demo isn't remarkable, and the stuff on the MCD was done better (with more atmosphere) on the full-length, and I think a lot of people would agree. No huge deal though. Most people with a clue will agree that "Nightside" and the previous stuff is the only essential Emperor.

just because you dont get it, doesnt mean it sucks. its hardly emotionless. but realize somthing. emotion is relative.
~gR~
:erk: Sorry, it's sterile, fake and emotionless. I read an interview where the band (or, well, Ihsahn -- the album is more of an Ihsahn solo project with Trym on session drums than an Emperor album) said that they had to go back and listen to the old Emperor albums as to incorporate old elements into the new album to make a fitting swansong -- a band that feels it has to rehash itself by attempting to copy superficial musical elements from their greater days in order to create something worthy of its name is a sure sign of a DEAD, completely uncreative and worthless band that should have quit ages ago. "Prometheus" is an abomination that should have never existed.

It's horribly emotionless and devoid of atmosphere, I agree. Pretentious, cheesy, superficial, structureless... it's completely pointless.

As for the Nightside/pre-Nightside debate, I don't really like any of it THAT much, and Nightside was innovative in some respects, I'm not denying that. It just seems to lack logical progression in many places giving it a disjointed feel. Add that to the annoying vocals, bad use of keyboards in places and the bad production, I just can't make myself listen to it.

Well for me I'm not a pure black metalist, I go for any "good" metal (by my definition...).... so I don't care if Prometheus is "black" enuff or not. I just wanna know if it's good... see I see guys like on here saying it's "UTTERLY ****** HORRIBLE!" and then I see people writing stuff like this (off of Amazon):

Opinions on this album seem to be somewhat divided, which comes as no surprise I suppose, as it isn't at all similar to Anthems or Dusk. Personally, I stand in the minority and consider this to be a far greater achievement than thoes 2 albums.(great as they are.)
This is the most dense metal album I've ever heard.The first time you listen to it you will probably not remember too much of it. Anyone who is unwilling to listen to this album carefully and repeatedly might as well not bother, as they are unlikely to get too much out of it. Personally, I don't think I fully appreciated it until about my 20th listen. Tempo changes are constant, with some truly ferocious and dense drumming from Trym. There is a near perpetual weaving of multiple guitar parts varying between lead-rhythm interplay, harmonies and competing leads in essentially every song. Fortunately, the guitar is work both tasteful and virtuosic, and is never emotionless or aimless. In fact, despite the abundance of leads, there aren't really any conventional solos to be found here. It all flows beautifully. All this is topped combined with heavy, though never cheesy, synth work, most commonly strings with some piano and harpsichord. This has by far the best synth work on any metal album I've heard.(which admitedly, isn't much of a prize.) I tend not to be too huge a fan of a lot of black metal vocalist, who frequently sound a bit goofy. This album is an exception. Ihsahn's shriek-growling is always filled with genuine emotion, and he never goes overboard. The clean vox are nice too. He obviously hasn't got the greatest voice your gonna here, but he generally rights good melodies to go along with. (which is what really matters.)

It is initially a rather combative and harsh listen, with many parts which are intentionally discordant and actively anti-melodic to go along with the straight metal bludgeoning and melodicism which is found elsewhere. It is in this balance that it finds it strength. The contrast makes each section that much more powerful, and Ihsahn knows just when to change from one tone to another. On top of this, Emperor manages make the songs have varying and distinctive tones.(Unlike some more progressively oriented bands, which have each song have many different sounding parts, but seem to have the same parts in about the same ratio in every song, which makes it repetitive in spite of the many changes.) Depraved is especially harsh and violent, The Prophet more melodic and immediately memorable, Empty combines blistering speed with some powerful melodicism and The Eruption is kinda of mixture of all three etc. It's hard to pick out standout tracks as they are all outstanding, but The Eruption, The Prophet, Grey and In the Wordless Chamber are all especially spectacular.

This is a concept album, and I don't fully understand what it's about so I won't go into it much, though I will say that it boasts unusually intelligent and compelling lyrics, which avoid tediously blunt religious bashing and ridiculous frozen/pagan/winter/forest/wolf garbage. Lyrics are of little concern to me, and I love many albums with the aforementioned lyrical themes(by this band, in particular) but it's always nice to see something different.

The only real notable weakness here is that the closing track, Thorns On My Grave, is the weakest.(though it is still good.) It's always best to go out on a high note, especially when it's a concept album.

Anyone who enjoys dense, progressive heavy metal needs to check this out. Even if you aren't a fan of black metal you need to hear.(Frankly, most traits which nonfans dislike in black metal aren't even found here.) This is truly a unique and powerful work.

---

Opinions on this album seem to be somewhat divided, which comes as no surprise I suppose, as it isn't at all similar to Anthems or Dusk. Personally, I stand in the minority and consider this to be a far greater achievement than thoes 2 albums.(great as they are.)
This is the most dense metal album I've ever heard.The first time you listen to it you will probably not remember too much of it. Anyone who is unwilling to listen to this album carefully and repeatedly might as well not bother, as they are unlikely to get too much out of it. Personally, I don't think I fully appreciated it until about my 20th listen. Tempo changes are constant, with some truly ferocious and dense drumming from Trym. There is a near perpetual weaving of multiple guitar parts varying between lead-rhythm interplay, harmonies and competing leads in essentially every song. Fortunately, the guitar is work both tasteful and virtuosic, and is never emotionless or aimless. In fact, despite the abundance of leads, there aren't really any conventional solos to be found here. It all flows beautifully. All this is topped combined with heavy, though never cheesy, synth work, most commonly strings with some piano and harpsichord. This has by far the best synth work on any metal album I've heard.(which admitedly, isn't much of a prize.) I tend not to be too huge a fan of a lot of black metal vocalist, who frequently sound a bit goofy. This album is an exception. Ihsahn's shriek-growling is always filled with genuine emotion, and he never goes overboard. The clean vox are nice too. He obviously hasn't got the greatest voice your gonna here, but he generally rights good melodies to go along with. (which is what really matters.)

It is initially a rather combative and harsh listen, with many parts which are intentionally discordant and actively anti-melodic to go along with the straight metal bludgeoning and melodicism which is found elsewhere. It is in this balance that it finds it strength. The contrast makes each section that much more powerful, and Ihsahn knows just when to change from one tone to another. On top of this, Emperor manages make the songs have varying and distinctive tones.(Unlike some more progressively oriented bands, which have each song have many different sounding parts, but seem to have the same parts in about the same ratio in every song, which makes it repetitive in spite of the many changes.) Depraved is especially harsh and violent, The Prophet more melodic and immediately memorable, Empty combines blistering speed with some powerful melodicism and The Eruption is kinda of mixture of all three etc. It's hard to pick out standout tracks as they are all outstanding, but The Eruption, The Prophet, Grey and In the Wordless Chamber are all especially spectacular.

This is a concept album, and I don't fully understand what it's about so I won't go into it much, though I will say that it boasts unusually intelligent and compelling lyrics, which avoid tediously blunt religious bashing and ridiculous frozen/pagan/winter/forest/wolf garbage. Lyrics are of little concern to me, and I love many albums with the aforementioned lyrical themes(by this band, in particular) but it's always nice to see something different.

The only real notable weakness here is that the closing track, Thorns On My Grave, is the weakest.(though it is still good.) It's always best to go out on a high note, especially when it's a concept album.

Anyone who enjoys dense, progressive heavy metal needs to check this out. Even if you aren't a fan of black metal you need to hear.(Frankly, most traits which nonfans dislike in black metal aren't even found here.) This is truly a unique and powerful work.

This is one of the most complex metal albums I've ever heard and one of the best. In any case, Prometheus is Emperor's masterpiece. The neo-classical elements Emperor has always used are fleshed out to a greater degree than before and are mixed very effectively with black metal aggression and meloncholy. The music is progressive, powerful, majestic, awesome and the production is excellent.

The musicianship and writing are very much beyond most other metal out there. Prometheus is an unusual, intense and somewhat difficult album. The contant shifts in melody, riffs and time signatures may be daunting for some and are demanding for the listener. But those with the patience and imagination to truly delve into this masterpiece will be richly rewarded with a journey of epic proportions. The lyrics as one reviewer pointed out may be about Emperor's experiences within the black metal scene and their decision to breakup at the height of their popularity or they could be interpreted as a contemplation of life and mortality. Whatever. Other interpretations may be equally of value. Prometheus' density, intensity and multifaceted nature rewards mutiple listenings and that is the strength of this album. I hear something different every time I listen to it. To get the full effect, listen to it in headphones while reading the lyrics. Its an amazing swan song for these black metal innovators.

---

I've never in 27 years heard anything more cerebraly intense then this album. And yes while I love everything Ihsahn, Samoth, Trym, Mortiis and Faust did with and without Emperor throughout thier days before and after thier break-up this album is on a pedastal divine. In Beggining to describe the music on this album I will start by saying the music here is not at all in the gothic context of darkness. Emperor surpassed needing those ellusive and over-labored crutches many black metal bands cannot escape already in thier second album. Emperor became instead of "Dark", ferociously and psychologically intense. This evolution was not taken gladly by many of their fans that could no longer relate to them. Emperor had instead crafted a new space in metal that to this day has not been stamped as a scene.
This album ascended thier other albums in its molding of complete chaos into a psychological sculpture of intensity so exacting and curtailing of the blowing of a mind. The guitar squeezes through harmoinc wailing and the drums blaze with effortless effieciency. You must hear this to find weather you hate it or love it, for there seems no middle ground

Evolved metal worth twice the stars of my review. Ihsahn (the singer and main writer for Emperor) continues his exploration in a band called Peccatum where now his wife is lead vocalist.

---------

So who the crap do I trust? And no I don't wanna download songs (EVEN JUST TO SAMPLE IT!) because I have a thing about it... I don't do it :p. If you have a problem with that, well too bad cause I ain't gonna change.

"Opinions on this album seem to be somewhat divided, which comes as no surprise I suppose, as it isn't at all similar to Anthems or Dusk"

or dusk? i hope he isnt saying emperor wrote dusk and her embrace. hopfully he is just confused and is refering to nightside

anyways, get anthems and prometheus and go from there. both are completly different and great in their own ways. realize that most people on amazon arent gonna trash an album, on the other hand people trash everything on here.
~gR~

I'm telling you, buy the greatest hits disc. It's got more emphasis on the older material, but enough of the newer songs to get a good feel for what it's about. It also has all of the songs from the EPs, and some rare covers and stuff. If you insist on buying an album, get Anthems. It's more accessible than Nightside, and better than Prometheus. Prometheus has some real good moments, but lacks the metalness of the beginning of Ye Entrancemperium, or the epicness of the first and last songs.

the transition from the oath the ye entrancemperium is one of the best piece of music ever. its, for lack of a better word, perfect. fuckin METAL
~gR~