Best of '06 CDs.

My top are three (in no order) are these:

Negura Bunget - Om
Disillusion - Gloria
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium

Their are some other notables like Nachtmystium (or was it 05?), Wolves in the Throne Room, Agalloch etc. but I probably spent most of my time last year checking out badass older releases.

01. Fall of the Leafe – Vantage (Firebox)

(This time there's no new The Chasm album to stop them from getting that top spot (which happened in 2004 with Volvere). The vocals of one Tuomas aka Tumbo is simply the best in any fuggin' genre be it metal, pop or whatever! Say goodbye to posers like Garm and Vintersorg; let us all welcome the new vocal GOD. Amazing hits include opener "The Fresco," "Receiver" and "Cold Java")

02. Magenta Skycode – IIIII (Solina)

(This is post new wave with ties from This Empty Flow. Fave tracks would be several; but "Pleasure of Love," "Open Air" and "People" are the ones that stand out. For fans of Echo and the Bunnymen, The Lotus Eaters and The Cure)

03. Novembre – Materia (Peaceville)

(Bands like Opeth and especially those overrated cockstars in Katatonia can only DREAM of coming up with atmospheres only Novembre can conjure. Fave tracks include "Aquamarine" and "Jules")

04. Cretin – Freakery (Relapse)

(Their lyrics, despite the black humor and shit injected, are sicker than your usual Devourment or Cannibal Corpse kiddy stuff. Nicely produced, despite the overall raw feel of the record. I really like that the Mick Harris school of blastbeat is in display here. Fave tracks include "Daddy's Little Girl" and of course, "Walking a Midget." I just clapped my hands and did a nice little cute flip before typing this)

05. Wolf – The Black Embrace (Century Media)

(If anyone of you mongoloids worshipped King Diamond's Abigail then here is your new drug. The Fredman productional handjob is so addictive. This one is pure and evil twisted heavy metal of the highest order that no poser in MySpace with some cheap and pathetic black metal "band" would ever, and I mean EVER understand)

06. Manitou – Deadlock (Firebox)

(It's more straightforward than the debut but what I liked about this album is that the unique atmosphere is still intact. They did some nice jazz stop in "Psychoracer" which was cool. It has been documented how I am really bad when it comes to songtitles, but the dark ballad "Swallowing the Dark" has an amazing and emotional solo that an overrated piece of guitar shit like Michael Romeo can only daydream of. I am pretty excited with the new record because the band is actually namedropping Whitesnake as to how it's going to sound)

07. Raunchy – Death Pop Romance (Lifeforce)

(Confusion Bay simply was the future of extreme metal but with this effort they have decided to play it safe. The quality is still there, sure, but it's disappointing at how they chickened out in coming up with something that would have pushed the limits of their sound by a hairstrand. They also got a new singer who does a decent job with the harsh vocals, only a little too whine-y for my elite taste. The Lifeforce-signing was rather a step back; I mean, you got these guys complaining about how Nuclear Blast were favoring In Flames but what did Lifeforce do in terms of promoting this record? Nothing. Not even a cheap video was produced)

08. Necrophobic – Hrimthursum (Regain)

(The surprise of the year. For a string of albums they have always suffered from a mediocre-at-best Sunlight production wreck; and I am simply glad that these bastards opted to record SOMEWHERE and not pull off yet another Dark Tranquillity (i.e. recording in Fredman over and over again mainly because they have no ideas and In Flames beat them to the punch in Dug Out). The songs are mostly fast, and even if the album clocks at nearly 50 minutes it still is one entertaining doggie. A killer cover, killer and fuckingly wickedly morbidly DARK solos, a good production, hell this would have been album of the year if not for my being an asshole and a FotL worshipper)

09. Violator – Chemical Assault (Kill Again)

(This dogmeat right here literally broke my neck. Leave it to the Brazilians to deliver uncompromising musick that begins with "thrash" and ends with "metal" (yes, that was stolen from my good friend and Eidomantum six six six stringer, Richard Lagergren). This one is a no-holds-barred, poser killing, faggot bashing, thrashfest for the new millennium of MySpace posers)

10. Dismember – The God That Never Was (Regain)

(Their last effort was pretty so-so, which is in some ways good since it was released by Guido on his crappy label, KARMAgeddon Media. The songs are fast, almost in Pieces-like fashion. Fred Estby is still shit on drums; the vocals of Matti Karki have never sounded as furious; and we still have the obligatory 1 or 2 Iron Maiden-influenced tracks. The cover for this is even better than on Where Ironcrosses Grow. By the way, isn't it shitty that instead of banishing from this planet Guido is actually working now as some PR consultant or whatever in Mascot Records? That guy should be dead by now, not because I am siding with the Chucks, I mean, Schuldiners; since that Jane is trying to pull off some drama telenovela shit like "c'mon do whatever you want to do, we still love Chuckie and his memory will always remain in our hearts bla bla bla" I wanna fucking cry now. They can all die for all I care; and yes for the record I don't want to hear a new Control Denied album because the first one already sucked big time and we don't need another)

11. Disarmonia Mundi – Mind Tricks (Scarlet)

(Nuclear Blast are probably knocking on their door now. Strid should be ashamed of himself for joining a group of nobody's who actually beat them in their own game. Soilwork sucks. At least they do now. These Italians have mastered the art of solidwriting oozing with confidence. The video for the carrier single is crap; but "Celestial Furnace" is a well-written tune in "As We Speak"-proportions)

12. Setherial – Death Triumphant (Regain)

(I think "The Limbo of Insanity" is a very solid opener. I like how Infaustus would go like "…embraced by fee-yaaarrr, the night grows nee-yaaarrr." Now that's black metal screeching 101 for you, posers. Kudos to Magnus by the way for doing an excellent job on the vocals replacing that bald ingrate Wrath)

13. Decapitated – Organic Hallucinosis (Earache)

(This was actually an early favorite to win the top spot mainly due to my being slapped in the face silly with a juggernat of a song in the form of "Day 69." This album is so heavy; and I wanna send a huge MIDDLE FINGER to all the pussies who don't like the vocals of Corpsegrinder Junior. I have to say the Barney Greenway barks totally fit the new material oh so well)

14. Textures – Drawing Circles (Listenable)

(The debut effort was a cut-and-paste affair that had its moments but all in all it suffered from an awful production and ideas that were still in its developmental stages. The new effort sees a total overhaul; a new singer who sounds "modern" but does the job rather well, and a strong Meshuggah influence outshining the Soilwork worship of olde. By the way, Textures are doing something light years ahead of whatever banal crap Meshuggah are coming up with now. I'm glad the clean vocals weren't overdone; and the album cover reminds me of Benediction's Dark is the Season)

15. Dissection – Reinkaos (The End)

(This album is a genius and I only realized it after Jon passed away. Well, after he killed himself, let's just put it that way. There's a strong old heavy metal presence throughout the album. The annoying thing is that of all people it had to be Jon to leave our planet. I mean, if Kvarforth really is some tough bastard then why is he still walking around like an idiot with that cheap mummy getup?!)

16. Unleashed – Midvinterblot (SPV)

(This should be higher up there, but I got this rather late so I had to be fair quite a bit. Anyway, Sworn Allegiance was slightly better but this one is still in the same high calibre. Of the "big three" in Swedish death metal, Unleashed has pretty much claimed the throne. And yes, did we really need another dose of Grave's mid-diocre crap?)

17. Torture Killer – Swarm! (Metal Blade)

(I really loved the Jungle Rot debut and this one strongly reminded me of my addiction for that record, so. There's one song here that sounds like "Victim of the Paranoid" albeit done even better! It's no secret that these young Finnish bastards are better songwriters than those has-beens in SFU. Getting Chris Barnes to sing in this record gave the band press; and it also made Chris realize how his main band should be, well, buried six feet under. Bad pun intended)

18. Profundi – The Omega Rising (Profound Lore)

(Listening to this album pretty much set the record straight at how Jens *is* Naglfar. I mean, the band hasn't been the same since his departure; and The Omega Rising is a testament to the man's knack in writing excellent black metal ditties. This album displays better (programmed) drumming than that of Naglfar's human drummer. It's nice to hear Jens' tortured screams once more; he sounds as if he was gargling a razor blade or something. Anyway, 'nuff said. Profundi totally annihilates Naglfar's lame attempts at black metal; and yes they should die)

19. Hellveto – In the Glory of Heroes (Pulverised)

(It's been quite a while since we have heard something out of Poland that was actually GOOD. Graveland has been putting out records yearly pretty much ruining any novelty they have left. Hellveto plays epic Polish "pagan black metal" that would have been snapped by Pagan Records back in the day. Actually, now that I think of it, L.O.N. - the sole member of this act - is also guilty of releasing material left and right every year each on different labels or sublabels. Not sure if that will be good in the long run especially for Roy's economic status, hehe)

20. Edguy – Rocket Ride (Nuclear Blast)

(The transition from playing traditional power metal to something of hard rock / AOR-nature was a huge plus for this here writer; and "Save Me" is the ultimate power ballad of this era. Nice cover, too)

My top 10

10. Summoning - Oath Bound
9. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
8. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
7. Chthonic - Seediq Bale
6. Dissection - Reinkaos
5. Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
4. Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
3. Martyr - Feeding The Abscess
2. Kalmah - The Black Waltz
1. Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium

Though I do enjoy Novembre, calling Katatonia 'cockstars' with the inability to conjure dense atmospheres is pure ignorance. Dance of December Souls crushes anything (musically and atmospherically) released by Novembre by a significant margin. To say otherwise is pure stupidity.

Very fucking stupid comment, that Novembre album sucks ass, and anything Katatonia has ever made crushes anything Novembre has and will ever make.