Best solution for pro tools editing?

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
I'd like to setup a simple way to have pro tools on my home computer to only use it for editing right now. Don't care about actually recording to it or anything. Only to have the cheapest/easiest hardware so I could run the pro tools software to edit things at home so I dont have to pay to use a studio to edit stuff. Any suggestions?

Back in 1999-2000 (right when they came out anyway) I got a Digi 001 which I used for basic drum work for a couple of years. Of course it didn't have beat detective so I was unable to do really involved stuff at home until I got my HD3 about 4 years ago.

I'm not completely sure, but I think LE systems only allow one or possibly two (?) tracks of BD. Still, that's not absolutely necessary of course, but as Andy told me years ago, it can certainly be a wonderful tool if you can use it.

NK said:
Back in 1999-2000 (right when they came out anyway) I got a Digi 001 which I used for basic drum work for a couple of years. Of course it didn't have beat detective so I was unable to do really involved stuff at home until I got my HD3 about 4 years ago.

I'm not completely sure, but I think LE systems only allow one or possibly two (?) tracks of BD. Still, that's not absolutely necessary of course, but as Andy told me years ago, it can certainly be a wonderful tool if you can use it.
i got my Mbox2 w/ PT LE 7.1 for right at $450 new.... just last week i added the new Music Production Toolkit from Digidesign which bumps you up to 48 tracks (stereo tracks counting as one track), and adds multi-track Beat Detective and Sound Replacer among other enhancements previously only available on HD systems, as well as several cool plug-ins and a soft-synth or two... it runs $499 which is more than my Mbox2 was to start but now i have a great editing solution in my office room.

James Murphy said:
i got my Mbox2 w/ PT LE 7.1 for right at $450 new.... just last week i added the new Music Production Toolkit from Digidesign which bumps you up to 48 tracks (stereo tracks counting as one track), and adds multi-track Beat Detective and Sound Replacer among other enhancements previously only available on HD systems, as well as several cool plug-ins and a soft-synth or two... it runs $499 which is more than my Mbox2 was to start but now i have a great editing solution in my office room.

Thanks for the heads up on that James. I think BD and SR was available on Mix Plus systems as well right? I know I used to use SR on my 001 over 5 yrs ago.

What's the max sampling/bit rate of the MBox 2 by the way? Sounds like a handy tool to be able to use on the go...

Thanks for all the help. Looks like Mbox is my best bet.

Couple questions.... Is the max # of tracks LE can handle 32? If I have a session with more than that many tracks will it not open at all or let me pick what tracks to open? And as the last post said if the max a mbox can handle is 16 bit 48k....what if my session that I want to edit is in 24 bit? Looks like I'll have to buy soundreplacer too. I feel retarded being spoiled messing with only a tdm mix +++ system for like 3 years and now having to learn all of the lower grade stuff and having no clue.

and even another question...are plugins both pc and mac compatible? I'll have a pc at home and the studio is mac. And if I buy some plugins for myself I'd like to be able to use them in both situations.

Thanks again for the help.

Max tracks in LE 32 (unless you buy the mentioned toolkit, not sure if that's only for PT7) and the MBox handles up to 24bit/48kHz actually.

NK said:
Thanks for the heads up on that James. I think BD and SR was available on Mix Plus systems as well right? I know I used to use SR on my 001 over 5 yrs ago.

What's the max sampling/bit rate of the MBox 2 by the way? Sounds like a handy tool to be able to use on the go...
hi neil, the Mbox 2 will run only up to 48Khz/24bit... i run everything at 44.1/24 so it's great with the Music Production Toolkit added.. i can go back and forth between the HD3 Accel system for tracking and the Mbox2 system for editing and back again for mixing with no problems. yeah, BD and SR were available on mix systems for sure... i was only addressing current systems. the MPT uses iLok authorization, btw.

Awsome i've been thinking about this for a week or so aswell. Everything is making sense and keeping me happy except one thing: What's iLok?
I'm a bit of a dumbass with computer terminology so the digi site doesn't really help me with these type of things.

Nebulous said:
Awsome i've been thinking about this for a week or so aswell. Everything is making sense and keeping me happy except one thing: What's iLok?
I'm a bit of a dumbass with computer terminology so the digi site doesn't really help me with these type of things.

It's what some plug ins use instead of security codes. A usb thing plugs in to verify your plugins.