Best song recorded by a band but never preformed live

Are you serious????? I love this song.One of faves from them as a matter of fact.Wow,just goes to show you when you have so many good songs you can't play them all I guess.They must play the faves or the fans will get pissed.

When you're in a band such as Priest with such an extensive catalog it's impossible to play everything. There are songs, I feel, bands are obligated to play (hits, fan favorites). The last tour they did the British Steel album in it's entirety. I know some folks here are against bands playing full albums live, but I got to hears some killer Priest tunes I probably never would have if they had not done that.

Rdyfrde,

Are you kidding about "The Odyssey?" Symphony X played that as their encore for every single show when they toured for that album. In fact, I believe it was their encore for the entire first leg of the Paradise Lost tour as well.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Rdyfrde,

Are you kidding about "The Odyssey?" Symphony X played that as their encore for every single show when they toured for that album. In fact, I believe it was their encore for the entire first leg of the Paradise Lost tour as well.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I was just thinking that. Every time I've seen Symphony X live, they've played The Odyssey. It seems to be one of their staple songs.

When you're in a band such as Priest with such an extensive catalog it's impossible to play everything. There are songs, I feel, bands are obligated to play (hits, fan favorites). The last tour they did the British Steel album in it's entirety. I know some folks here are against bands playing full albums live, but I got to hears some killer Priest tunes I probably never would have if they had not done that.
The fucking Rage. One of the best moments of my life was seeing them play that.

Symphony X - The Odyssey

The Odyssey was played live quite a lot between 2002 and 2007, but I think the last time they did it was in 2007 sometime. I know that the first two times I saw Symphony X, they played it.

Iron Maiden--Out Of The Silent Planet

Symphony X--Awakenings

Maiden played Out of the Silent Planet for a small portion of the Brave New World Tour.

Symphony X played Awakenings at the spring 2004 shows opening for Queensryche - I have a video bootleg of the New York City show, and they play it.

A few of my nominations:

Symphony X - Rediscovery II
Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great, Deja Vu, Only the Good Die Young, The Thin line Between love and Hate, and Judas Be My Guide
Savatage - Back to a Reason
Edguy - Theater of Salvation, Golden Dawn, Down to the Devil
Avantasia - The Seven Angels, Devil in the Belfry (Excluding new ones, too soon)
Evergrey - In the Wake of the Weary

I'm sure there's many more, these are just some of the big ones by some of my favorite bands.

once again, I could be wrong, but it appears Primal Fear has never performed any of my 3 favorite songs of theirs...

Diablous
A Question of Honor
In Memory of You

Yeah, they're all from Seven Seals, but thats a great album.

If anyone knows of them ever playing those songs at some point, please tell me when & where it was so I can finally build my time machine and go see that!:lol:

So far I think there's like 3 or 4 Priest songs mentioned. Haha. I definitely agree with this. Part of the reason I love Priest so much compared to a lot of other bands that have been around so long is that the vast majority of their catalog could be played live, the only exception being most of Turbo and half of Ram it Down. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up, DTJeff!

I didn't know that those songs were ever performed live! It bothers me to know that I could have seen Symphony X perform "Awakenings." I just couldn't bring myself to pay the ticket price to see Symphony X play for maybe 45 minutes and then leave before Queensryche hit the stage. I hereby change my Symphony X choice from "The Odyssey" to "The Turning."

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Maiden played Out of the Silent Planet for a small portion of the Brave New World Tour.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure they played this in St. Paul on the BNW tour. I remember they played something like 7 of the 10 BNW songs (Bruce went on a rant about how some fans only want to hear the old hits and the band wants to play the new stuff from the new album so those fans should just STFU).

Being that Out of the Silent Planet is one of my all-time favorite Maiden songs, and I left that concert extremely satisfied, I'm sure they must have played it (though I can't 100% remember).