Best song to demonstrate people what depression is / means?

well, Day, yes...
i think Day's key reflection is the line: "let stay here for a while, is something gonna happen today..."
kinda warm and estranged at the sam time, so much is shared and given, so much you'd love to show still, there's latent hope somehow things could be different now, yet the sad realization remains..
this feeling together with the beautiful autumn picture in the 'background' makes it one of the best songs to demonstrate what musical depression is all about.

I have a quick question for you, how good is discouraged ones? For some time the only Katatonia albums I've had are LFDGD, Viva Emptiness and Tonight's Decision. Recently I got Brave Yester Days, where the songs from Brave Murder Day and Saw You Drown appealed to me. Is DO in the veins of Saw You Drown or is it more like Tonight's Decision? I'll probably get it anyway, just need to know..

To answer the first question; It's really good. It's katatonia-good, and that's fucking good :)

Hmm DO has the same sound as Saw you Drown, since saw you drown is a song from that album, pretty logicall ;)

I like Friday I'm In Love.

Dunno 'bout depressing song, but if it's like making you feel it's not really worth the bother, I might say PL's Daylight Torn. That got to me.

agree with space-dye vest from your list(probably the best ballad of all time)...other tracks...anathema:lost control is the song you're looking for.no doubt about it

Brave
Day
Rainroom
At Last
Deadhouse
Cold Ways
Last Resort
Saw You Drown
Distrust
I Am Nothing
Right Into The Bliss
Strained/A Darkness Coming
Black Session
Teargas
Tonight's Music
Sweet Nurse
Help Me Disappear
A Premonition
Burn The Remembrance
Wealth
Evidence

Well, katatonia is my favorite band, but I think there are many many others that do way more sad songs then katatonia. Katatonias stuff has just a melancholic touch. thats my opinion

My depression usually tells me what to listen to (when I am). I am pretty closed minded about the music I like so sometimes its RED HOUSE PAINTERS or KATATONIA, or blackmetal or whatever my mood says to listen to. Often it is silence.
I couldnt say which song demonstrates pure depression because of the fact that I get depressed in so many ways that one song couldnt quench it. There isnt one song (to me) that I would say "thats it, thats depression in a nutshell".
Good thread though :)

Gateways of Bereavement
Day
For my demons
Strained
No good can come of this
I'm nothing
This punishment
Right into the bliss
Black Session
I break
Gone
Distrust
Help me disappear
No Devotion
Quiet World
The Light of the End of the world-My Dying Bride
Temporary Peace
Barriers
Lost Control
Regret
-Anathema
The Crawl-Placebo
A deeper kind of slumber-Tiamat
the word 'depression' is too used in the last time,i'm under the impression that many people feel a kind of pride ,speaking of their own' depressions',and many forget,that the depression is an illness(as Unicorn said) and the daily inconvenience is not a depression yet...many people says that they are depressed and in a few hours they are sitting down to the table to eat?..For me depression is very closely related with loss of interest for everything,maybe there is no pain,too..only the emptiness after the oversaturation...