What song would you like to hear Katatonia cover?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I'm not a big fan of cover tunes... but I was listening to this song and I thought Katatonia could do an awesome version of it...

The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?"

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I'm not a big fan of cover tunes... but I was listening to this song and I thought Katatonia could do an awesome version of it...

The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?"

How about NO!!!!

There are no Smiths songs LESS worthy of covering than "HSIN?", plus Paradise Lost already did a snoozer of a copy years ago.

Originally posted by OceanMech
How about NO!!!!

There are no Smiths songs LESS worthy of covering than "HSIN?", plus Paradise Lost already did a snoozer of a copy years ago.

It's my favorite Smiths song... and I didn't know PL covered it... but I think Jonas would sound great singing HSIN?

Not my fave Smiths song... I don't really know if I can see Katatonia doing it, but if you're going to do the Smiths, I think you'd have to pick 'There is a light that never goes out'... I don't know though - most of the best Smiths stuff I don't particularly think would work very well with Katatonia... most are too... ironic, I guess, whereas Katatonia's greatest strength is in their sincerity. Although I must admit, hearing Katatonia do 'bigmouth strikes again' would be amusing :p ... Honestly, though, I don't know what I'd like to hear Katatonia cover. There's always something interesting in hearing a band reinterpret 'classic' stuff - Sabbath, etc, but I think that's been about done to death... I guess that if they choose to cover anything, I'd prefer to hear something completely off the wall that they chose because they really wanted to do it and had a plan for it - either something where I've never even heard the song but it interests me in hearing something new (like Will Oldham) or something that just makes you scratch your head in amazement at the bizarreness of the choice (say if they were to cover, like, Van Halen). I'd say though (and this is a last minute thought) that if I got to pick a song I'd like to hear Katatonia's version of, I'd probably go with something by the Cure - maybe A Letter to Elise? sorry -- rambling ;)

Originally posted by elric
, I'd probably go with something by the Cure - maybe A Letter to Elise? sorry -- rambling ;)

I would also like to see them cover a song by the Cure, but totally go all out and rearrange the thing (especially the drum patterns if it's an earlier song) to make it fresh. Jonas' voice would be perfect as it already sends chills down my spine at times.

I think it could be cool if they did a Cure cover, but it really WOULD have to be an older song, I just try to get the image of Jonas singing "friday I'm in love"...and that would be crappy ;)

Have you all heard Beseech's cover of Abba's "Gimmie gimmie gimmie"?? That's awesome, a good example of taking an unexpected song and making it your own :heh:

Hmmmm, something by Candlemass could be cool, maybe Solitude.....

and yes, incase you're wondering, I'm into Candlemass at the moment :p

I would love to hear Katatonia cover one of these:

"Grace" - Jeff Buckley
Yes, they've already covered Buckley, but this may be his most haunting, darkest song - a perfect fit for Kat!

"The Wild, Wild Sea" - Sting
Again, a dark-gem written & performed by Sting that would be perfect for Katatonia & their dark-cool style.

"The Love Theives" - Depeche Mode
This tune IS Katatonia.

"Anywhere out of this World" - Dead Can Dance

i'd love to hear Katatonia do a cover of Jeff Buckly's nightmares by the sea, but i doubt they ever will...:rolleyes: :p

anywho if they could cover a theGATHERING song, not bothered which, maybe marooned or something, can you imagine Jonas singing the ''you dont see me, 'cause i dont have much to say'' bit :lol: it would be brilliant if he sang it in a dark Discouraged Ones style thing...

It definetly would be interesting to hear Katatonia cover a A-Ha songs, perhaps the sun always shines on tv or stay on theese roads...
Imagine katatonia confessing that there actualy is a future.. :)

The Cure again would be an excellent thing...
What about "Waiting for the Night" by Depeche Mode? (this song is so black...would perfectly fits one of these strange arpeggios by Anders by the way...)

Oh, and M.Lehto, I really like your band, it really reminds me of October Tide, but it's very good.