Best speaker for metal? V30?

STINNETT

Bad / Nationwide
Dec 12, 2005
USA
www.stinnettguitars.com
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum, so thanks for the wealth of information!

I know there has been alot of talk about this, but I haven't really found a definitive answer. I'm considering replacing the speakers in my Marshall 2x12 cab which currently has the G12-75's in it. They are old as all hell and I figure I could get improved tone from new speakers anyway. I see that alot of you guys favor V30's. Could anyone with a familiarity to these speakers describe the tonal differences to me? I'll be using several amplifiers through this cab, a 5150 II, a JCM900, and a Marshall VS100, maybe others...but the 5150 primarily. I am after a clear, full metal tone, and I absolutely want none of the top-end fizz if at all possible. Any other speakers that you would suggest? I've also considered running one of each of the 75's and the V30. Anyone around here do that. Oh yeah, this is strictly for recording purposes.

Thanks

gt75's = more top end fizz, less mids, tighter bass response (imho they are a lot tighter)

v30's- more midrange, looser bass response (not that they are loose but compared to the gt75's) overall 'well balanced' very easy to record.

a 4x12 like the bogner one with 2 of each would be ideal for recording imo.

a 4x12 like the bogner one with 2 of each would be ideal for recording imo.

That's the cabinet I have. Bogner Ubkerab with 2 V30's and 2 G12T 75's in an X pattern. It sounds incredible. Next week I will post some clips of it.

baddf69d.jpg

Ahhh guys, a related question here
for a marshall 1960 cab .. what comes stock on this cab?
and what do you think i can (speakers)buy to get this kind of sound : Very Tight Bass, Crunchy mids(never scooped) and sweet/mellow/velvet highs ?!
any combination or a full set of the same speakers?
J.P
for extreme metal, of course.
peavey triple xxx head.

"and what do you think i can (speakers)buy to get this kind of sound : Very Tight Bass, Crunchy mids(never scooped) and sweet/mellow/velvet highs ?!"
i'd second the idea of mixing v30s and gt75s. i like the lows and highs the gt75 delivers, but there's a bit of a scoop going on (maybe that's why people tend to prefer the v30s...i do not btw ;) ), so it should mix well with a "honky" speaker like the v30s.
actually what you described is pretty much exactly what the 25w greenbacks sound like, but imho they don't handle extreme metal very well, at least not at high volumes.