Best Sturgis-esque metalcore reference album?

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
Any ideas? Amazon has a massive sale going on right now and I'm trying to pick up some cheap reference albums for mixing. I don't have anything remotely reminiscent of Asking Alexandria/Attack Attack/whatever in my library, and those mixes do sound objectively good in some ways. I want the silly amount of snare reverb, lots of bass drops, etc., I have no idea where to start. Too many Verbing the Noun bands. :p

To provide something marginally useful to the forums, here's a link to all the albums on sale:

http://tinyurl.com/lea5fns

There's a lot of them.

Honestly, and I don't mean to troll, I wouldn't care much about formats. I often reference mixes with youtube videos (obviously not 240p mono phased rip). Other than that, good quality mp3 is more than enough for me.

Now, what's the real purpose? It's basically impossible to distinguish a good bitrate mp3 from a wav...

"Now, what's the real purpose? It's basically impossible to distinguish a good bitrate mp3 from a wav"

Sorry I disagree.

Honestly, and I don't mean to troll, I wouldn't care much about formats. I often reference mixes with youtube videos (obviously not 240p mono phased rip). Other than that, good quality mp3 is more than enough for me. Now, what's the real purpose? It's basically impossible to distinguish a good bitrate mp3 from a wav...
256k, which is what Amazon sells, leaves a lot of fidelity on the table. If that's inconsequential to anyone that's cool with me. Personally, I prefer to pay for the highest quality I can get. To each his own though.

Hollow Bodies and Tomorrow We Die Alive are really well mixed imo. Not sure if the last one is considering metalcore but what ever...

Don't know if anybody knows this, but Caleb Shomo from Attack Attack! has taken a leaf out of Joey's book and has been producing some pretty sick stuff out of his house. Check out My Ticket Home, he produced/mixed/mastered this whole record and it sounds bitchin:

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Attila record. Say what you want about the vocalist/vocals and lyrics but these songs are pretty rockin' and the mix is absolutely Joey Sturgis perfect. The kick drum sound, slap and weight is off the chain, snare/toms are typical for him, the bass tone is super aggro without being too midi-bass distortion like, and the guitar tone is massive, a lot weightier than usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really metalcore, but he did Emmure's 'Speaker of the Dead' and that sounds absolutely massive.

that's great! thanks for posting that link. I love controlled tests like that. There seems to be a lot of claims in the audio world about people saying they can hear a difference between this or that ( for instance a real amp vs a modeler or any other hardware unit vs a plug in), yet every time there is a controlled test, no one (or very very few) seem to win. I personally can't tell the difference between 320 mp3 (or probably even lower) vs wav/flac/etc.