Best Thrash Albums

Necromunchkin said:
Some excellent recommendations, folks, thank you. And the Believer recommendation is killer, though I own all of Believer's albums. Christian or not, their music fucking smokes.

Larf, you win points for maximum thrash madness (outside of Pyrus, I couldn't imagine more potent thrashing madness recommended) though I do question recommending Nuclear Assault's most recent. The bits I've heard seemed rather bland. Is it really that good?

Well, let me put it this way: listenning to Third World Genocide is like listenning to Handle with Care with 12 new songs... This album sounds like it was recorded in 89 and is just as good as the next nuclear assault album in my opinion.

Destruction - Inventor Of Evil is also fuckin' killer!

Forbidden -- Forbidden Evil
Forbidden -- Twisted Into Form
Overkill -- Taking Over
Overkill -- The Years of Decay
Pestilence -- Consuming Impulse
Realm -- Suiciety
Atrophy -- Socialized Hate
Atrophy -- Violent By Nature

Fuck,,,,there are a hundred more....

Leaving out the really obvious stuff (Testament, Overkill, the Big Four, the Holy Trinity), here's a list of albums anyone who digs thrash outghta check out.

Sabbat (UK)- History of A Time To Come (awesome Destruction-esque thrash with a bit of a Celtic tinge in tone, with Martin Walkyier pre-Skyclad on vox. Amazing lyrics.)

Sabbat (UK) - Dreamweaver (more of the same–a bit more intricate and less balls-out thrashy than the last.)

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (Just mentioning this in case some poor fool doesn't already own it. This album is to Slayer what Slayer was to thrash in 1986. Fucking UNHOLY.)

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death (Neckbreaking madness, like Dark Angel meets early Sepultura and then doubles the number of riffs. "Assassin" will damage your spine.)

Bifrost - The Wildest Fire (Similar to Sabbat, but a bit more dynamic and with a pagan Viking kind of tinge to it. Great stuff.)

Imagika - Devils On Both Sides (Power/thrash from SF veterans, kinda reminiscient of Forbidden but more melodic. Great live act.)

Deströyer 666 - Cold Steel...For An Iron Age (Phoenix Rising is their best album, but Cold Steel is the thrashiest. Pretty much everything by D666
rules, though–awesome, awesome black-thrash.)

Ulysses Siren - Above the Ashes (ZOMGWTFBESTOBSCURETHRASHEVER. Seriously, this seven-song comp of demo tracks shits all over 90% of the thrash metal genre–a lot of Exodus, a chunk of Heathen, some Coroner-esque time changes, and the occasional melodic salute to Iron Fucking Maiden. Beautiful. Just beautiful.)

Heathen - anything and everything (Speed/thrash wreckage. They rule. Enough said.)

Xentrix - Shattered Existence (One of the few really good third-wave thrash bands, hailing from the UK and kicking ass all over the place. Very classic Metallica/Megadeth kinda sound, with hints of the Nuclear Assault punk style.)

Andralls - Force Against Mind (Every Brazillian thrash band gets compared to glory-era Sepultura, but these guys are really the heirs to the throne. Very good new band.)

Torture Squad - Pandemonium (Absolutely fucking BRUTAL death/thrash, the kind of thing that will give you severe collarbone problems from trying to headbang to it. One of the best metal albums of the past five years.)

Dekapitator - We Will Destroy...You Will Obey! (A side project of Exhumed members that beats the fuck out of their real band–a rollicking, drunken tribute to the thrash metal of yesteryear that is all the better because it's obvious how much fun the band is having. One of those albums where the vocalist snarls "THRASH!" before every riff break. Glorious.)

Toxic Holocaust - Evil Never Dies (A one-man thrash project, notable less for riff complexity and more for beating your fucking skull in. Opening song "War Is Hell" is one of the all-time great thrash anthems.)

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare (If you say you like old-school thrash and you don't own this, you are a poseur. It's been re-released. No excuses.)

Carnivore - Carnivore (Peter Steele's old band, before he decided he'd rather play shitty music and get laid. Gleefully offensive, hardcore-tinged NY thrash with awesome songs like "Thermonuclear Warrior," "World Wars III and IV," and the immortal "Male Supremacy."

That oughta do it for now.

Sepultura, Arise. Testament The Gathering, Kreator...COMA..., one of my most favorites Forced Entry As Above, So Below.

Could go on forever.

Profanateur said:
Sepultura, Arise. Testament The Gathering, Kreator...COMA..., one of my most favorites Forced Entry As Above, So Below.

Could go on forever.

sepultura- beneath the remains

\,,/

EXODUS::::::Bonded By Blood
TESTAMENT::::::Legacy
FORBIDDEN:::::::Forbidden Evil & Twist Into Form
CORONER::::::punishment For Decadence
METAL CHURCH::::::Metal Church
METALLICA::::::Ride The Lightning
MEGADEATH::::::Killing is my Business & Business is good
ANTHRAX::::::Metal Thrashing Mad
SLAYER:::::Reign In Blood
SEPULTURA::::::Beneath The remains

Overkill - Years of Decay
Overkill - Horrorscope
Testament - The New Order
Testament - Practice What You Preach
Sepultura - Arise
Soilwork - Steelbath Suicide
Soilwork - Predator's Portrait
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Metallica - Kill 'Em All

Some killer bands missing are:

SODOM- persecution mania, agent orange, tapping the vein, code red, M16
DEW SCENTED- issue VI, impact, inwards
DECEASED- fearless undead machines, supernatural addiction, and As the weird travel on ( which is one the best albums of 2005)

You guys rock. Apparently my thrash collection is far more extensive than i give myself credit for, as many of the aforementioned bands are already sitting nicely on my shelves. Larf and Pyrus (not surprisingly) get extra thumbs up for recommending shit I haven't heard, even if I have no clue how I'll get a hold of most of it.

An no, Soilwork is denied. Forever.

SACRED REICH- Independent, American Way, Ignorance, Heal. Sacred Reich influenced both Sepultura and Pantera and in my opinion was one first bands to mix both thrash riffs with a groove that made their music very moshy. And KILLJOY put out a thrash album in the early 90's called "Compelled by Fear" which is very good.

Oh, I definitely know Sacred Reich, given we hail from the same state (and I'm old enough to have seen them live a half a dozen times). Was just listening to them earlier.