Best Tull Album(s)?

Aqualung is far from all around regular "rock", theres stuff on there thats hard to even call rock and I have a real hard time seeing Cross Eyed Mary or Locomotive Breath as unexciting. The two moods of the song Agualung, flute work here and there that could rival many of todays shreaders. I dont think you were in the right mood to listen to the whole package for what it was, lyrics, music that fit the mood and message of the lyrics, stuff like that. When it was new it was easily thought of as ground breaking in its own right, not comparable to anything else and far from typical "rock". Just things to think about if you ever consider a closer relisten and are in the right curious frame of mind. If you want virosity of todays metal players or the advancement of todays music and by "tame" you mean its not thrash metal how could you even expect an album from the early 70's to impress you. Im just trying to relay a better way to go about listening "back in time", not really bitching like it sounds :)

Listening to Thick as a Brick now, they further expanded their composition skills on this one.

"Thick As A Brick" is one of the best jam songs of all time. And the lyrics are some of the best ever written, in my opinion ("the poet and the painter, casting shadows on the water..."). Cross-Eyed Mary is my favorite song on Aqualung. The key change halfway through the chorus is just one of the most awesome things in a rock song. It just multiplies that excitement of the song.

Personally, I think that Jethro Tull are one of the most important, influential, AND overlooked bands of classic/progressive/folk rock. Over at the metal-rules forums, a lot of people don't like them at all (which I couldn't believe). I rank them up there with other behemoths like Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Beatles (influentially), AC/DC, etc. It's too bad that so much of their work goes by unnoticed, and songs like Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Bungle in the Jungle and the first three minutes of Thick As A Brick are the only music that most people judge them by (those are good songs, but there's just so much more).

Whats you say is true, but Tull is more of a head band so they lacked the commercial success of the more straight forward bands. However Tull never lacked for fans or success.

Cross Eyed Mary crosses over easily into heavy metal, in fact Iron Maiden covered it, way back

Locomotive Breath - Same deal. Ive been in bands that played both these songs. I made a joke once about how Locomotive breath could be the first heavy metal song. Pertaining to: Steppenwolf penned the lyrics "heavy metal thunder" refering to the rumble of engines. Being how steam powered the first engines and Locomotives the first means of non horse or wind transportation, and the Locomotive is ultimate example of "heavy metal thunder"... therefore Locomotive Breath is the first heavy metal song by default... you had to be there.... lol

Theres no doubt in my mind that early Tull influenced many of the early heavy metal bands. Too many people today dont know where what sounds origionated from, they cant make the connection because they didnt hear the whole thing evolve. Then theres the deal with Tull getting an award instead of Metallica, once upon a time. Truth was, Tull was way over due and Metallicas turn came the next time around anyhow, but too many people made such a big deal of it at the time.

Stormwatch is great, yes. I really like Broadsword as well. It's strange, because Broadsword is usually mentioned by most critics as one of Tull's lesser albums, but Anderson has publicly said that it's his favorite Tull record!

Really? It's probably my fav too, or Aqualung, though I've not heard them all.

^Well, I've read in a couple places where they quoted Anderson as saying that some of the best music he had ever written was on Broadsword and the Beast. So, looking at it that way, I suppose I could be misleading about it being his favorite record; but it certainly must be one of his favorites, if he considers it some of their best work!

It's actually from the liner notes in the record. In the special edition, Anderson wrote that he thought it was some of their best work and one of his favorites.

The Aqualung CD I bought about two years ago has a long interview at the end of it, as well as a few more songs after that. Fat Man and some other, I forget. In that he did say what he felt was their best work but I cant remember, seems it was Broodsword. Other things mentioned: He was not happy with Aqualung. They were in the same studio with Led Zep at the time. Was done in ? 8 days, 14 days? I didnt take note and have only listened a few times. I bought the Aqualung live in XM studios at the same time. I like the old better for its raw edge, this recent live recording is more "mature" with the edges are wore off the songs a bit. They did a great job in playing the whole thing thru, live, 30 years later. Ian makes a few comments during that show as well.