best UNDERGROUND BASSIST?!

NocturnalPulse5

New Metal Member
Sep 26, 2003
I love the discussion about metal bassists. I've been playing for a few years myself and now realize what a critical role they play in metal music (some more than others). I live out in Chicago, and have recently heard about this technical/death/industrial (there might be some more in there) metal band called HELL OF BLADES; rumor has it their bassist has got some incredible new technique and is an amazing player, so I thought I'd pitch it to you guys and see what you thought. I've got their e-mail and address shit off one of their flyers, so here it is if any of you want to check them out:

autogrooveinjector@hotmail.com
http://www.soundclick.com/hellofblades
http://www.metalmania.net/showband.asp?id=2214

the Flyer also says they're playing out at a place called KISS THE SKY on October 4th in Batavia, IL, which is outside Chicago.

I've been playing for a few years myself and now realize what a critical role they play in metal music (some more than others).

I must say that over the years of playing, I think the complete opposite. I think metal guitarists tend to run over the bass lines (depends on the sub-genre though) Especially those who want to sound heavy and play a lot of E-based riffs... I'd say leave the low ends for the bassists.
My band used to have two guitarists and after deciding to continue with only one, I expect to get a bigger role. I guess this goes especially for the thrash metal bands.
I think playing jazz, funk or fusion like music gives you more space to move in, more groove, more creativity, etc...

but I guess that's just my opinion :p

I think playing jazz, funk or fusion like music gives you more space to move in, more groove, more creativity, etc...
But we have the amazing bass lines from Atheist. Or even that bassist I don't know the name who played in Control Denied. They are metal, and the bass play a very important role. (Breaking the Broken is all about the bass, and that loud guitar harmonic, you guys no which one).

think metal guitarists tend to run over the bass lines (depends on the sub-genre though)
True true...

Andy Deluca. Very few people have heard of the guy, but I think he's amazing. He played on Aghora's demo and has played with a few other guys. He didn't even pick up a bass until he was 18.