Best metal bass riffs...best metal bass player...

HippieOfDoom

The 13th Monkey
Feb 12, 2002
Golden State
www.stevedigiorgio.com
Ok, I don't remember which thread had best bass lines in metal or if that was best bass player...whatever.
I was paroozing some cd's that had a little dust build up on the shelfy whelfy. Students...I'm giving you homework. Listen to the whole album; John West's "Mind Journey". Barry Sparks is the man on this one. It's metal. It Rules, period.

On that other thread everyone was listing Geezer, Steve Harris and guys like that. I know Black Sabbath can be considered metal. Comparatively speaking, to the bands in their day - they defintely are...same for Maiden as well. But when it comes to this current generation of metal. In other words, any band that wasn't in existence before the mid 80's. I have trouble finding metal bassists that made some noise. In between those metal giants; Sabbath, Maiden, etc. and where metal is now. We had guys like Timmy Grabber from Mercyful Fate and Dan Lilker from S.O.D. getting some recognition. But since then bassists have really taken a beating like a wife of a drunk bastard. Besides Mr.Norberg making it impossible to think we are even close to being worthy, I found this Barry Sparks bass clinic to put high on the "metal bassists worth a shit" list.

Anyone concur?
(This isn't a "who's better?" list, just an attempt to add to our "noticeables" pile that seems to be modestly miniscule.)

I know Barry Sparks, he played on that Roland Grapow solo album named Kaleidoscope, and there's a bunch of songs out there (especially the intrumental "listen to the lyrics") where the bass lines are very cool...

I always thought he was a power metal guy...well anyway, that's cool!

Hey...why am I posting out here???? I'm a guitarist...

:lol:

BYE

...have you heard Cosmosquad yet? I haven't had the opportunity. Hopefully, he's owning it.

And Entance is the jam. I like his vox on that better than in SA.
Kinda sounds like Ray from Fate's, don't you think?

Oh, and one more thing...who sweats Norberg more, you or me? ;)

I'm going to place a vote on Sean Malone. He is just an amazing player and also composer. He has a great range and can play both metal, jazz, prog rock convincing. He also a great stick player. His new Gordian Knot album is amazing, just listen to The Brook, The Ocean. Lars Norberg and Sean Malone are the ones who has impressed me the most sofar.

Tony Choy and Roger Patterson does however also hold a special place in my heart for their fantastic work with Atheist. I hope everyone knows about them already.

maybe is usual but my favourite metal bass players are:

-steve di giorgio
-steve harris
-geezer butler
-geddy lee

i do not considering sean malone a metal bassist in effect....

he is like a fusion bass player playing in metal environments

:lol:

I still say John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi, Roger Glover, and how could I forget, John Paul Jones!!!! These guys are the reason you people even like playing bass in a Metal band anyway!!!! But, you know "they" say about opinions.....:devil:

Ian Hill from Judas Priest?
Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian?
Paulo Jr. from Sepultura?
Magnus Rosen from Hammerfall? (he is an awesome bassist, but Hammerfall is just his "job")

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
Anyone concur?
(This isn't a "who's better?" list, just an attempt to add to our "noticeables" pile that seems to be modestly miniscule.)

Keeping away from the"old favorites"...I think Lars Norberg from Spiral Architect should be added to the "noticeables" pile. That guy is incredible! That whole band is incredible! LOVE IT!

The topic of this thread has gone a little off course, maybe I should have worded the subject more specific. I appreciate your lists of your favorite bass players (again), and if you didn't notice (obviously) I did mention Lars Norberg.

But I was hoping someone had a chance to hear John West's "Mind Experience" album with Barry playing in a more metal context. I got a Cosomosquad reference, which is cool. I do have all their albums and I just got a chance to see them live (killer!!!). I know there's a bunch of bassists from the 70's that are great, what do you think I grew up on? And as much as I think of Sean Malone being an awesome bassist, I don't think he has done anything impressive in a metal field, if anything metal at all. And the bass player for Racer X is actually interesting a little, I haven't had the chance to really trip on it for a proper comment yet.

So I guess before I start to give up on this little thread, I'll just wonder if I'm the only one who's heard that John West album. It's a great metal-bass albums guys...check it out, if you can.

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
And as much as I think of Sean Malone being an awesome bassist, I don't think he has done anything impressive in a metal field, if anything metal at all.

Spiral Architect are no more "Metal" than Cynic.
Also, Brian Bonini of Toxic.

Steve Digiorgio
Tyr
John Myung
Les Claypool
Cliff Burton
Lemmy Kilmister

I always thought that both the bassits for Atheist added incredible contributions to the music they played. Roger Patterson and Tony Choy both were fantastic. On the the album 'Unquestionable Presence' the song "I Deny" has some of the most awesome metal bass grooves. I beleive Roger wrote those parts that were played by Tony on that album.
Also, besides Cynic, I thought the bass playing Sean Malone did on the Aghora album was also some great stuff. The one thing that really makes that album stand out for me is that the overall production is not that great, but the bass mix was amazing.
Johan DeFarfalla's bass on Opeth's 'Morningrise' also added a great feel to the jazzy/trippiness of that album.