Bass Player Appreciation Thread

The Grimace

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2004
North of the Valley, South of the Hills
An idiot friend of mine asked me today about who the best or most famous metal bassists were. He didn't know anybody I told him cause he's functionally retarded, but I wanted to ask the peanut galley for their thoughts.

What metal bassists do you love who are really good? Really talented guys, not some pick-style player who rides the root for every song, great unknown and underappreciated guys, mostly, and if anyone says Steve Digiorgio... only fucking bass player people know... o_O

Lars Norberg is probably the most insane bassist I've heard.
There's also Sean Malone (Cynic), Tony Choy (Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence), Roger Patterson (Atheist), Dominic Lapointe (from Augury and Atheretic), Francois Mongrain (Martyr), Steeve Cloutier (Gorguts), Sebastien Painchaud (Winter Bestowed), Tyr, Skoll (Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende), etc..

ME!

seriously. im gonna get shit for this. but DEMAIO! he is just amazing

also:
alex webster
steve digiorgio
and the dude from cryptopsy

....and me
~gR~

If you mention Tony Choy you MUST also mention Roger Patterson. His playing on Piece of Time is incredible.
Sean Malone
J.P.Thesseling

Thomas Miller (ex-Symphony X) was great. I guess he might have gotten overshadowed a bit by the rest of the band (well....Romeo).

J Mann said:
Steve DiGiorgio. What?

In that "Dream Lineup" thread a while ago I think literally half the people put him as the bassist. The guy's awesome, but he's not the most melodically intricate or even particularly diverse bassist around. He just throws wicked solos. And he has a cool tone (which I totally stole for my fretless playing. :lol: )