Best metal bass riffs...best metal bass player...

I'm sure SDG is a given

I like Jeroen Paul Thesseling, I'm a huge Obscura Fan, But Most of you already know about him aswell.

My farovites metal bassists:

SDG
Mike Flores from Origin
Alex Webster from CC and Blotted Science

And I recently discover Reiner Landfermann of Pavor.

:OMG:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really metal, but here's a great bass player from my country (Thiago do Espirito Santo from Brazil):

Also, killer guitarist and drummer BTW :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Malone
Doug Keyser
Steve DiGiorgio :)
Jeroen Thesseling
Jeff Berlin
Bunny Brunel
Matthew Garrison
Geddy Lee
Brian Bonini
Jimmy Johnson
John Myung
Dan Briggs

No idea if hes been mentioned since I really can't be bothered trawling through all these pages, but has anyone mentioned Greg Christian? His basswork on Urotsukidoji from testament's "Low" record is fucking phenominal!

in the album Symphony Masses: Ho Drakon Ho Megas from the earlie death metal days of therion, a guy named Andreas Wallan Wahl played some really wicked basslines..
and a example in black metal, a genre that dont have so many good bassist, you guys should give a listen to the Necromantia album, Scarlet Evil Witching Black, the whole cd was record only with bass and sounds nice

Surprised nobody's mentioned him thus far (and if anybody did, then I missed it), but Jeroen Paul Thesseling of Obscura plays a six string fretless (he's a Warwick endorsee too :kickass:). The dude is a Dutch bassist who used to play in Pestilence, and he kicks major ass.

Now that I've mentioned Obscura may I just add that they released an album named Cosmogenesis on Relapse Records recently and the album just... eats posers and shits razors!! It's one of the best technical death albums I've heard in a long time. Check them out at myspace.com/realmofobscura (my fav tune is "Universe Momentum")

BTW first post :loco:

Is it me, or is Steve DiGiorgio's forum the only one that gets hit by periodic spam bastards?

That was really random for Naglfar to pop in, One of my favorite bands.

Anyways...

One underrated bassist is Jon Vesano

Jeff Paulick is a very young and up and coming bass player.

Some of the best Bass/vocal performances I've seen, he's like the metal version of geddy lee.

Dan Briggs from BTBAM is great although whether they are metal or not can be debated. Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne is another excellent metal (on LD 50 anyway, which is their most impressive album overall) bassist who has been mentioned in this thread I think.

Joe Lester from Intronaut and Arthur von Nagel from Cormorant both have very good, very fitting melodic parts.

I'll put my two favorites in, specifically in terms of playing ability.

Mike Flores- Origin

Jeff Hughell- Brain Drill

It's too bad the current death metal albums are mixed so the bass is drowned out by the drums. Someone mentioned Sound of Perseverance, I always think of Human by Death being the album that does the most justice to the bass work in terms of the sound that comes through. I would like to hear more albums mixed like this.