Best metal bass riffs...best metal bass player...

as far as extreme bass players go it would have to be:
B-war-grat fingers on both hands and extremely unheard and unrecognized.
Skoll(ulver,arcturus)-he played with a pick(ithink from the sound he got) but he was totally kick ass.
Blacky(voivod)-more metal than anyone on the planet with a shitload of cool melody.
Pat(from goatwhore)-totally killer right hand always on time and intense and some pretty decent playing too.
Ross Dolan(Immolation)-he can follow everthing those guys do and still sing over it-he's the man.
Danny murphy(incineration)-all over the place and perfect timing,very cool melodyand technique.
alot of the guys on the end records have some fairly decent bass players too.

Sean Malone
Eric Langlois
Chris Richards
Pete Perez
Lars K Norberg
Tony Choy
Roger Patterson
Steve Cloutier

despite, my fave and biggest influence is Flea

I would like to add Ron Royce from Coroner as a much overlooked bassist.
Superb three finger right hand technique. On the earlier speedier albums he doubled the guitar lines-check out Mistress of Deception on No More Colour for an amazing doubled run after the chorus.
On the later stuff just great rhythmic feel.
And I do concur with an earlier poster about just generating right hand speed. It can be a touch limiting as far as harmony goes. But It does impress none the less.
As for right hand stamina check out funk legend Rocco Prestia from Tower Of Power (just skip the shitty ballads). What is Hip played for over 8 minutes live is a monumental feat of endurance. Live and in Living colour or the later live disc will suffice.

Sean Malone
Lars K. Nordberg
Tyr
Steve, of course
Tony Choy
Roger Patterson

That's my favourites, and main inspiration sources

Eternal_Decadent said:
I would add Robert Trujillo ( ex-Suicidal Tendencies , ex-Ozzy)

Finally someone mentioned this monster SUICYCO GROOVER :hotjump:
ROBERTO TRUJILLO deserves much respect for what he`s done not with Ozzy but with INFECTIOUS GROOVES (especially) :OMG: and SUICIDAL TENDENCIES :p
IMHO he and SdG rule :D

But there`s someone who may be soon close to them in my personal ranking - he`s name is STEVE BRUNNER he`s only 18 years old and he`s been playing for 2 years for ST & IG. I saw him playing live with ST 3 weeks ago and I was very impressed. Guys check him out while ST/IG plays in your area.

PS. HippieOfDoom - we met in Warsaw afterwards, I was this suicycoMF that made you so happy to see a real polish cyco :D
We got lotta pictures taken while we met you and the rest of TestAmenT - if you wanna see it, just let me know where to send it! Nostrovia!!!

Dark Tranquillitys former bassplayer(now their guitarplayer) was a bad ass on the five string. He used a odd was of stringing his bass. He strung it like a guitar EADGb instead of BEADg like most fivestrings. For example the guitars on the gallery album is very lead heavy and he fills in the holes brilliantly. Great melodic player. He played on al Dark Tranquillitys albums from skydanser to projector and then switched to guitar. Give him a listen.

Mike Poggione from Capharnaum and Monstrosity.also Trujillo is a great bass player in Suicidal and Infectious,but he is pretty far from being metal.

I would like to thanks SanderThomas.
I had never heard of Adam Nitti, I go on is website, is fucking amazing... I buy is Cd right away!
Same thing happen with Lorenzo Feliciati, I dont remember who name's it, but those guys know how to play!

there was an intersting interview with dan spitz where he talked about taking the bass out of metal. it seems that, as metal developed its guitar sound, it really pushed the bass out of the pictures. i agree, though i feel it is a shame, since it is a great instrument. i think bassists need to work on finding their sonic space in metal, and their own voice (which isn't always playing as fast as the guitars). maybe i've been listening to too many string quartets.