Best metal bass riffs...best metal bass player...

Metal without bass is simply lame. It lacks punch, it lacks presence, it lacks weight. I´ve trying playing with my band without bass, and it sounds empty.

I cannot believe someone on this board actually acknowleges this man's existance. I've been preaching the gospel of TOXIC for years!!!! One "the" most awesome bands of the last 20 years!!!
I have the distinct honor of seeing them open for King Diamond on 10/31/89 in NYC with Sepultura and Sacred Reich (what a show that was!). Brian Bonini definitely churned out some intense
bass licks. They, unfortunately, only have two albums that showcase this man's brilliance: "World Circus" and "Think This".
Seek these albums out and pay any price, 'cause I assure you, you won't be dissappointed.

Flattery will get your everywhere... ;)

-Brian
http://brianbonini.com

ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÈ ÏÎ ÌÎÑÊÂÅ È ÐÎÑÑÈÈ +7 (495) 225-54-14 ICQ 294756212
ÃÐÓÇÎÂÛÅ ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÈ
ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÀ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ ÏÎ ÐÎÑÑÈÈ
ÀÐÅÍÄÀ ÑÏÅÖÒÅÕÍÈÊÈ
ÏÀÑÑÀÆÈÐÑÊÈÅ ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÈ
ÏÎËÍÎÅ ÎÁÑËÓÆÈÂÀÍÈÅ ÞÐÈÄÈ×ÅÑÊÈÕ ËÈÖ
ÑÒÐÀÕÎÂÊÀ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ
ÑÎÏÐÎÂÎÆÄÅÍÈÅ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ
ÝÊÑÏÅÄÈÐÎÂÀÍÈÅ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ
7 (495) 225-54-14
7 (495) 225-54-14
ICQ 294756212
ICQ 294756212

ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÈ ÏÎ ÌÎÑÊÂÅ È ÐÎÑÑÈÈ +7 (495) 225-54-14 ICQ 294756212
ÃÐÓÇÎÂÛÅ ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÈ
ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÀ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ ÏÎ ÐÎÑÑÈÈ
ÀÐÅÍÄÀ ÑÏÅÖÒÅÕÍÈÊÈ
ÏÀÑÑÀÆÈÐÑÊÈÅ ÏÅÐÅÂÎÇÊÈ
ÏÎËÍÎÅ ÎÁÑËÓÆÈÂÀÍÈÅ ÞÐÈÄÈ×ÅÑÊÈÕ ËÈÖ
ÑÒÐÀÕÎÂÊÀ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ
ÑÎÏÐÎÂÎÆÄÅÍÈÅ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ
ÝÊÑÏÅÄÈÐÎÂÀÍÈÅ ÃÐÓÇÎÂ
7 (495) 225-54-14
7 (495) 225-54-14
ICQ 294756212
ICQ 294756212

Is it me, or is Steve DiGiorgio's forum the only one that gets hit by periodic spam bastards?

All of you are aware of this, just something I needed to say. I pulled out "Individual Thought Patterns" today and I'm still completely fuckin' blown away by Steve's bass playing. Phenominal!!

In some post some time ago I gave individual names and players, this time I'll just mention albums instead as an easy way to "cut to the chase."
Strictly from a thrash/death metal point of view as a way to narrow this down:
Everything Steve DiGiorgio even glances at, of course...

Love some of the bass lines on Suffocation's "Breeding the Spawn"
Atheist "Unquestionable Presence"
Blind Illusion "The Sane Asylum"
Anacrusis "Manic Impressions" (Great prog-thrash band that was basically on the musicianship plateau of Coroner)
Cryptosy "Blasphemy Made Flesh" (In parts...)
Forced Entry "Uncertain Future" (Not exactly super flashy, but the thick tone as well as the suprise break out bassline rounds out the album well)
Nasty Savage "Abstract Reality" (In parts...)

Although he isn't pretty much known for his metal works, Jonas Reingold totally amuses me on his prog rock albuns. Listen to Karmakanic and some of the Flower Kings albuns and you'll see what I mean.:worship:

I third B. War. Fantastic bassist.

I know people seem to hate Akercocke, but I think Peter Theobalds was and is an excellent musician. I say musician so that all you touchy right-hand technique fanatics don't respond with whining about how he uses a pick. He writes good music.

Mike Flores from Origin and Gorgasm is really good.

Skoll is another of my favorites.

I also enjoy the work of Maxime Cormier from Reanimator (Canada).

Yan Thiel from Neuraxis as well.

I'm not going to repeat the names that were already mentioned like Roger Patterson, Steve, Doug Keyser, Sean Malone, Stefan Fimmers (I think...) etc.

Has anyone mentiones Johan De Farfalla? His work on Morningrise by Opeth is PHENOMENAL!

Has anyone mentioned Lars Norberg from Spiral Architect?

Has anyone emntioned Tyr from Borknagar?

I second Mike Flores. Fantastic player!

This thread is so out off topic now... just wanted to know - who is John West? and didnt Barry Sparks record an album with Mr.Malmsteen (in a metal context :) ? anyway Ill try to look for it .If Steve says its good - gotta listen to it:)
Little off the topic now... :)
What were Your roots in playing bass Steve?
Greetz'n'cheerz

Hey dudes, first post.

I think some highly under rated bassists in metal would be...

David Vincent (Morbid Angel)
Greg Christian (Testament)
Eddie Jackson (Queensryche)
Jeff Pilson (Dokken)
Martin Eric Ain (Hellhammer/Celtic Frost)
Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse)

I'm not going to repeat the names that were already mentioned like Roger Patterson, Steve, Doug Keyser, Sean Malone, Stefan Fimmers (I think...) etc.

Has anyone mentiones Johan De Farfalla? His work on Morningrise by Opeth is PHENOMENAL!

Has anyone mentioned Lars Norberg from Spiral Architect?

Has anyone emntioned Tyr from Borknagar?

I second Mike Flores. Fantastic player!

All those have been mentioned like a million times already man!

Mike Lepond (Symphony X), IMO, is a great bass player. Like someone mentioned earlier Mendez (Opeth) is another great bass player. However, just because he's a Jaco fan and owns a MM signature bass does not make for a just qualification. I'm a HUGE Jaco fan and I own a ESP bass (SDG Signature series). I'm not half the bass player I want to be. Van Williams (Nevermore) is another one of those creative bass players (especially on tunes like Garden of Grey). Does Tony Levine's involvement in LTE qualify him to be listed here? last but not the least, our ever humble SDG. John Paul Jones, Geezer, Paul McCartney, J Entwistle, Jack Bruce and SDG are the main reasons why I play the bass today.