Best metal bass riffs...best metal bass player...

ok, keeping in mind current metal bands.

I second Sean Malone, and the other guy who played for cynic. he's awesome on the roadrunner demo 91 as well. i actually the demo better than the full lenght. clearly production. more aggressive.

Also second rober patterson. He's a badass on those ahteist records.

Cliff burton as well, though metallica was around before the mid 80s.

Tyr is starting make some noise, as he should.

Magnus from the crown is pretty good at what he does, i.e. power the band and rock the fuck out.

which ever Bjorler brother (I think Jonas, dont have my at the gates cd in front of me) plays bass for the at the gates and the hautned. besides being really good, he wrote a lot of the shit on slaughter of the soul, so kudos there.

I'm gonna add jared anderson of Hate Eternal and Internecine. He totally made me rethink bass playing in brutally fast extreme metal bands. his lines are tasteful, and he avoids the tempatation to pick and play as manynotes as the guitars (which aint possible anyway, ehehe) and he fills out the sound very well.

none of you have probably heard of him, but you should check this band out. they are called Silencer (www.silencer.cc) and their bassist is really good. his name is jeff alexis.

trying to think of some other bassists that are making some noise.

justin chancellor from tool is a badass.

sharlee deangelos: arch enemy, witchery, mercyful fate god knows what else. hes good on recordings. i think live he's a sloppy mess though.

the bassist for corpsevomit when they were togethere was a badass on his fretless.

eric langolois of cryptopsy totally rules. he's one of the most original bassists i've heard. even if you're not into super crazy brutal death metal, check them out anyway. or just download the song slit your guts off of none so vile or email me and i'll send it to you.

im gonna stop there.

Originally posted by Fortunesmith
On the the album 'Unquestionable Presence' the song "I Deny" has some of the most awesome metal bass grooves. I beleive Roger wrote those parts that were played by Tony on that album.

Sorry...I was wrong. Piece of Time was the album the song 'I Deny' is on and Roger was did play on that album. My bad.

Even though it's not really metal...but does anybody else think that Smaba Briza on the album 'Elements' is amazing? I think that is Tony Choy's finest, period.

Originally posted by Unregistered
Sorry...I was wrong. Piece of Time was the album the song 'I Deny' is on and Roger was did play on that album. My bad.

Even though it's not really metal...but does anybody else think that Smaba Briza on the album 'Elements' is amazing? I think that is Tony Choy's finest, period.

Yeah Samba Briza is a really cool and pretty unexpected track on that album. Tony did a really good job on that album and UP too. I still wonder how it would had sounded if Roger was alive though, that man was also truly brilliant.

I cannot believe someone on this board actually acknowleges this man's existance. I've been preaching the gospel of TOXIC for years!!!! One "the" most awesome bands of the last 20 years!!!
I have the distinct honor of seeing them open for King Diamond on 10/31/89 in NYC with Sepultura and Sacred Reich (what a show that was!). Brian Bonini definitely churned out some intense
bass licks. They, unfortunately, only have two albums that showcase this man's brilliance: "World Circus" and "Think This".
Seek these albums out and pay any price, 'cause I assure you, you won't be dissappointed.

Originally posted by CliffEmAll
I cannot believe someone on this board actually acknowleges this man's existance. I've been preaching the gospel of TOXIC for years!!!! One "the" most awesome bands of the last 20 years!!!
I have the distinct honor of seeing them open for King Diamond on 10/31/89 in NYC with Sepultura and Sacred Reich (what a show that was!). Brian Bonini definitely churned out some intense
bass licks. They, unfortunately, only have two albums that showcase this man's brilliance: "World Circus" and "Think This".
Seek these albums out and pay any price, 'cause I assure you, you won't be dissappointed.

I guess you were talking about me.
Anyway,damn straight.I only have "Think This" but it is a masterpiece.
The other one has been pretty much impossible to find.
When you saw them live, did Brian play with a pick or his fingers?

He used his fingers. He also used a "Sweet" red Rickenbacker 4003 w/ black hardware and binding, fitted w/EMG' S. I could hook you up with a copy of the first album, if you like? They were a four piece and had a different singer on that one. It's still a good album and worth having.
:Smokedev:

Maybe this is usal but my favorite bass players are:

Cliff Burton
Steve Digorgio
Tony Choy
Alex Webster
B-War
Disgorge(cali)Bassist
Tony Myung (D.T.)
Bass player for Vio-lence is solid.

Wanting to get albums from bass players who play 7string basses... anyone gonna name some ppl? 7 string bassists.

Originally posted by The Wanderer

I second Sean Malone, and the other guy who played for cynic. he's awesome on the roadrunner demo 91 as well. i actually the demo better than the full lenght. clearly production. more aggressive.

The guy that played bass on Cynics 1991,1990 demos is Tony Choy. I like him better than malone personally.

Originally posted by PhilGentry
Originally posted by The Wanderer

The guy that played bass on Cynics 1991,1990 demos is Tony Choy. I like him better than malone personally.

Off topic I know, but...since you obviously know the band, couldn't you see Steve fitting in perfectly with Zimmer's Hole?... heh, I know I can.

I do own John West's "Mind Journey"
Have to dig it out, haven't been listening to it for quite some time...

Rob Van der Loo / Sun Chaged, saw him live at ProgPower Europe last October and he was fantastic... SC's board is here at UM, you should check the man.

Originally posted by TxChainsawMassacreMetal
Maybe this is usal but my favorite bass players are:
Disgorge(cali)Bassist
But his picture in cranial impalement looked soooo bad....

I'll definitely have to check out the John West album. Seems I missed the boat there.

As for the mention of hate eternal> I'll have to knab a cd from my brothers shelf and revisit. When I saw them live the bass was mixed so low it was nearly inaudible. The guitar solos sounded like they were just played over drums, it was really thin...

I'm missing out on too much.

I will say that Mikey F. from origin is a sight to see live (as is the rest of the band, for sure) though his lines may not fit with the other players mentioned.

I finally went out and did my homework...I got copy of Mind Journey off ebay last week. The bass riffs indeed rule. This is the first I have heard of Barry Sparks, but color me impressed. I am not to impressed with the production of the CD, though. Actually, its dowright bad with the exception of the vocals. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of this style of singing, but John West is a major exception. I almost consider his vocals a guilty pleasure. The guy has an amazing voice. The song he was featured on from James Murphy's 'Feeeding the MAchine' always come to mind. (Right, Steve?) But anyways, what other bands feature Barry Sparks on bass? I am interested to hear him some more, maybe with a better production mix this time.