Best use of contrasting things? (Growly to clean, quiet to loud, etc.)

Borknagar gets my vote. They've mastered the growls/cleans interplay since their inception (if you count the chants on the first album), and did so with 3 different, very talented vocalists on both the rough and clean vox.

Dimmu Borgir have used some very dramatic shifts from growls to clean vox ever since Vortex joined their ensemble. I know the song/band is overrated but when Vortex comes in on "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse", it's pure splendor.

Borknagar gets my vote. They've mastered the growls/cleans interplay since their inception (if you count the chants on the first album), and did so with 3 different, very talented vocalists on both the rough and clean vox.

Dimmu Borgir have used some very dramatic shifts from growls to clean vox ever since Vortex joined their ensemble. I know the song/band is overrated but when Vortex comes in on "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse", it's pure splendor.

Agreed with everything there.

Progenies is the perfect "march into battle with dark, satanic mongols attcking you" kinda song.

Frediablo of Grimfist/Deride/Hemnur etc was probably one of the best vocalists in metal in my opinion. Great growls and screams, and an excellent clean vocal..reminded me of Mike Patton. Too bad he left the scene.

AA Nemtheanga flows from his clean, albeit gruff crooning to black metal shrieks seemlessly.
Mourning Beloveth also are great in utilizing the contrast between death growls and clean vocals. Frank Brennan is easily one of my top three favorite clean vocalists.

I love that. Works great.
Yep. Nemtheanga is easily one of the best vocalists in metal. No one sounds like his "clean" voice. He isn't really singing a vocal melody much of the time, nor is it spoken vocals (Baal Sagoth, Mayhem's GDoW), yet they are still not harsh vocals. It really fits the music. I also like his black metal vocals.

Reactions: Demilich
Emperor - In The Wordless Chamber

There's an orchestral break, that's more or less pleasent to listen to, with a very quick (but noticeable) buildup to the heaviest moment in the song (possibly the whole damn album). Great use of extreme dynamics!