Between the Buried And Me - COLORS

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
Are there many fans around here of this band and/or just their new record. I personally have been highly won over by this new record and also their backcatalog.

Progressive Metalcore? might be one way to describe them. Kind of a mix of Opeth, Dream Theater and there own brutal style of Hardcore Metal.

A month ago I never in a heartbeat would have considered getting into this band/style much less this new record jumping into my top albums for 2007. Funny how things can surprise you.

Once something you barely tolerate, grows on you..watch out! Their vocal style totally works for me, and as a result my taste in vocals and Metal have totally opened up to Technical and Death Metal.

Afa this record..the whole thing flows incredibly well beginning to end..the early highlights to me were "White Walls"..and "Sun of Nothing"..the harsh and clean vocal blend and come in at the best times. ..people into bands like Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon possibly and especially Opeth who have never checked these guys out may want to. I'm glad I did. Seeing them in concert on Sunday..can't friggin wait!
smiley.gif

http://www.myspace.com/betweentheburiedandmeband

I must confess, Kyle, I'd never have expected you to be a BtBaM fan either. (!)

I haven't heard their most recent. I gotta say that their all-covers CD The Anatomy Of -- with everything from Pantera to Queen to Pink Floyd to Traffic -- was a totally pleasant surprise!

This album was a total surprise to me-- I wasn't extremely keen on "Alaska" and wouldn't have picked this up, but there was a lengthy and pretty informative thread on the Braveboard about it-- after reading it I had to check it out and was blown away-- easily a top 5 of the year album for me.

Lots of styles, diversity, clean-to-gruff parts, and an excellent flow of tracks/styles, and tons of epic song lengths....

This is a very good album. I can see people who didn't latch on to their past albums really enjoying this one. And yah Zeke I pretty much agree with you (though I liked Alaska a lot as well).

I'm glad I caught them live once. Really talented. Though not the most energetic on stage ;)

I must confess, Kyle, I'd never have expected you to be a BtBaM fan either. (!)

I haven't heard their most recent. I gotta say that their all-covers CD The Anatomy Of -- with everything from Pantera to Queen to Pink Floyd to Traffic -- was a totally pleasant surprise!

yeah they did catch me off guard since I heard them a few years ago and didn't care much for them. But not only them, but it's opened up a whole genre of Metal I have never discovered. I got like 50 bands I need to look into right now in the Tech and Death Metal.

I also am liking ALASKA and SILENT CIRCUS the more I hear them. Almost as much as COLORS in fact. These guys are one of the best things to happen to Metal the last few years to me.

Pretty good album, but probably their worst one so far. Overly pretentious, too much focus in switching styles instead of making each genre they dabble be top quality. The riffs were much simpler than in their previous albums as well. Alaska is still their masterpiece. I can see how Colors could be the favorite album of a person who didn't really dabble on harder genres of metal before though.

Am i the only one who heard their debut? while it may be a bit rough around the edges, in my opinion, its their best heavy stuff. silent circus.. never really got into it. alaska was great.. but ... i did'nt really like it as an "album" i only liked certain parts. colors though, i have to say is probably their best stuff since their first release.

moral: go listen to their first CD if you have'nt already. shevanel cut a flip and fire for a dry mouth are good starts, but the whole album kicks fucking ass.

Pretty good album, but probably their worst one so far. Overly pretentious, too much focus in switching styles instead of making each genre they dabble be top quality. The riffs were much simpler than in their previous albums as well. Alaska is still their masterpiece. I can see how Colors could be the favorite album of a person who didn't really dabble on harder genres of metal before though.

I disagree. I've listened to all their albums, and listen to plenty 'harder genres of metal.' Is it more accessible than their previous (covers album excluded) albums? Yes. Its definitely less heavy with less of the constant unintelligible growling (which was always their weakest part imo... the growling wasn't very good). I think they have simplified some of the song structures, but this has allowed them to experiment more than they have in the past. As for dabbling in various genres, I don't think they are dabbling in this album so much as embrasing various styles into what they are doing.

I can see how Colors could be the favorite album of a person who didn't really dabble on harder genres of metal before though.
How so? BtBaM are hardly a 'harder' genre in the scheme of metal-- sure, harder than power/prog/traditional, but not lots else.

I actually thought this album was the one where they were finally able to be pretentious and pull it off-- despite the huge variety of styles/influences, the songs (and entire album) finally flow as one huge piece, much like (not stylistically, of course) Agalloch or Green Carnation.

I haven't heard the new album but liked "Alaska." "Selkies" is my favorite tune that I've heard from them.

I know there are only a handful of dates left on the North American tour, but if you like the album, you need to check the show out-- I went last night and the setlist consisted of

COLORS in its entirety, played pretty flawlessly.:OMG:

It seemed like they might come out for another song or 2 but I bailed after a couple minutes....

10 year bump....

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME ANNOUNCE COLORS TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY TOUR WITH SPECIAL GUESTS THE CONTORTIONIST, POLYPHIA, TOOTHGRINDER

"...To celebrate the ten year anniversary of their classic album, Colors, Between The Buried And Me will embark on a special tour this September/October, which will see the band perform the record in its entirety. Dubbed the Colors Ten Year Anniversary Tour, the trek also features The Contortionist, Polyphia, and Toothgrinder as support.

Between The Buried And Me comments: "Colors was our statement of rebellion. We were challenging how others identified us in the context of heavy metal, and ultimately we were challenging how we identified ourselves. It was some kind of musical manifesto, in which we found new purpose and direction simply by throwing caution to the wind and purging every ounce of creative energy we had, regardless of how unhinged it may have seemed at the time. Ten years have passed and we are lucky enough to be able to play this album from front to back on stage for our amazing fans. See you all soon!"

Tickets on sale to the general public Friday, May 19th at 10 AM, local time. See below for all dates...."

betweentourmay.jpg

September
7 - Center Stage @ Prog Power USA XVIII - Atlanta, GA (BTBAM only)
21 - Theatre of Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA
22 - Baltimore Sound Stage - Baltimore, MD
23 - The Gramercy Theatre - New York, NY
24 - Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA
26 - Mr. Small's Theatre - Pittsburgh, PA
27 - The Agora Theatre - Cleveland, OH
28 - Crofoot Ballroom - Pontiac, MI
29 - Opera House - Toronto, ON
30 - Bottom Lounge - Chicago, IL

October
2 - Granada Theater - Lawrence, KS
3 - Summit Music Hall - Denver, CO