Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect (2009)

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of love being shown here. I checked this band out last night and I'm not hearing anything that appeals to me.

~Brian~

What did you check out from them? Their newer stuff is very different than their older stuff (not to say their old stuff is bad. This is one of the few bands who my favorite album from them changes all the time, and includes all 4 albums).

What did you check out from them? Their newer stuff is very different than their older stuff (not to say their old stuff is bad. This is one of the few bands who my favorite album from them changes all the time, and includes all 4 albums).

It was some of the clips on Amazon. With that said, it's hard to put much weight on those 30 second clips. I'll look into them more though.

With that said, I checked out Kiuas due to your profile pic. I knew nothing about the band and was expecting black metal to be honest. :lol: With that said, I heard nothing of the sort. It sounds like great stuff! I intend on getting my hands on the album that your avatar pic is from. :kickass:

~Brian~

It was some of the clips on Amazon. With that said, it's hard to put much weight on those 30 second clips. I'll look into them more though.

With that said, I checked out Kiuas due to your profile pic. I knew nothing about the band and was expecting black metal to be honest. :lol: With that said, I heard nothing of the sort. It sounds like great stuff! I intend on getting my hands on the album that your avatar pic is from. :kickass:

~Brian~

Basing your opinion based on 30 second samples? Not exactly the best way to go about things. :lol:

This is their most accessible song for prog metal fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basing your opinion based on 30 second samples? Not exactly the best way to go about things. :lol:

This is their most accessible song for prog metal fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUxfRM_kRiY

I think this band would have the Protest the Hero effect on me. While I'd admit there's talent there, this style of prog simply bores me. With that said, the 30 second sound clips pretty much go along with your 7 minute clip. (shrugs)

The new disc just rocked me hard. Album of the Year. Period. These guys are no longer metalcore, this is a straight up Progressive Metal album. And yes, they are one of the few bands who are honeslty PROGRESSING this style of music. I thought they wouldn't be able to top Colors- but this album is a lot more dynamic, a lot more musical- amazing performances all around. Highly reccomended, especially for someone who wrote them off in the past.

well, its hard to say because i didn't really like Colors as much as i did Alaska.

i would have to judge it on it's own merit because they really pulled from so many different places on this one. there is an acoustic bluesy track. the first song is really mellow and a great intro to the album itself. there is a horse whinning (sp?) in there somewhere during a hoedown solo part. the final track is all over the place being 18 minutes and has great solo sections, etc. there really is no one like this band out there.

i really think tommy has come into his own vocally as well. not the greatest range, but he has really come a long way over the years and has mastered where he is comfortable singing. some obvious mike patton influence in there now, plus the band follows with crazy Mr. Bungle carnival music, etc.

for me BTBAM just create something interesting to listen to with each album. you either love an album or you don't.

and for me it's about time glenn extend a hand to them to come play at PP. they are weird and heavy at times but are truly pushing the boundaries of progressive music.

again you misunderstand the progressive metal market.:lol:

again you misunderstand the progressive metal market.:lol:

The open mindedness of the forum, maybe. Not really the progressive metal market, I don't think.

Anyway this album is definitely more of the same, there's two tracks that don't have a single growl or blast beat, but the majority of the album is 100% BTBAM's trademark sound.

They might bring in some more of the DT fanboys that are just looking for something technical with this one, but probably not much more in terms of new fans. If Colors didn't do it for you, The Great Misdirect probably won't either.

Still BTBAM fans will eat this up, fucking AWESOME disc! :kickass: