Bi Amping

ruonitb

Oct 22, 2008
Hi!

I joined a band in which I'm the only guitar player and I thought, it would be cool to play over two amps/cabs in the rehearsal room and in live situations as well (saw some bands doing it, and it sounded great).

I have two amps(heads ;) )/cabs available (ENGL and Randall); now the ENGL is my main amp...so basically the only thing I want to do is to play over both amps at the same time and to render the other amp (in this case the Randall) mute.

I have seen bands using only one pedal/a stomp box for this...so when the guitarist hit the pedal, only one amp was active.

I hope you guys know what I mean. ;)

I haven't found a good solution for this yet; I read that the only thing I would need is a A/B/Y box...but then again some people told me that a lot of these boxes produce hum/noise.

Is anyone actually doing this/has been doing this and knows what the best solution is?

Any help is very appreciated since I really want to try this but I don't want to buy a crappy pedal just to dind out that it doesn't work/ruins the sound or something like that. ;)

Thanks in advance!

problem with playing two amps live is if your trying to make it sound like you have a 2nd guitarist in stereo 1: your timing is going to destroy that and 2 your tuning.

if you look at some virtual instruments to try and make it sound like dual guitars you need to alternate the pitch of one slightly (by about 1-5 cents) to make it sound like there are 2 guitarists. otherwise it will just come out as one sound with different tones and each side.

or else throw some slight chorus on one of the amps (or both) but very very low in the mix to make some pitch alterations and make it sound more...dual guitar like